6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 9:58 AM by Colin Brougham

Export file size help...output seems way too big

mccrorey_digital Level 1

I have a 12 minute movie with audio, video and stills in it.

Currently when I export it the file is 865MB...  I need it to be less than 100 with decent quality.  It is a tutorial video that will be downloaded from the web.

Can you please give me some direction on how to do this?  On what variables to change etc.  I know if I exported this out of Camtasia Studio, it would be around that 100 or less bench mark .... problem is I don't know what the settings for the Camtasia preset are.

I am using the following setup:

Quicktime Format

Summary:

Output:

1400x790, 15(fps), quality 100

48000 Hz, Stero, 16 bit

H.264

Source:

Sequece, 01-OverviewSWKit

1920x1080 (1.0), 24fps, Progressive, 00:12:03:12

48000 Hz, Stereo

Settings:

Video Codec:  H264

Basica Settings:

Quality 100

Width/height (1400 x 790

Aspect: Square pixels (1.0)

Render at maximum depth - "UN"-checked

Depth: 24 bit

Advanced Settings

Key Frame every 1 frame - "UN" checked

Optimize stills - "UN" checked

Frame Reordering "UN" checked

Bitrate setting:

Limit data rate to xxxx  "UN" checked

Use Maximum Render Quality - "UN" Checked

Use Previews "UN" Checked

Use Frame Blending "CHECKED"

------------------------------

• 1. Re: Export file size help...output seems way too big
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Currently when I export it the file is 865MB...  I need it to be less than 100 with decent quality.  It is a tutorial video that will be downloaded from the web.

For a 12 minute video less than 100 MB with decent quality is impossible. It is eitther BB or LL. Bigger size, Better quality or Less space, Lower quality.

Your could try smaller resolution, like 320 x 240, 10 FPS, at low bitrates and with the lowest mono sound possible. 8 KHz or something. Or shorten the sequence to only a couple of minutes.

• 2. Re: Export file size help...output seems way too big
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            Bitrate setting:

Limit data rate to xxxx  "UN" checked

Check this, and set a value. Bitrate is the single biggest determinant of output file size. If you lower the bitrate, you decrease the file size; of course, as you lower the bitrate, you lower the potential output quality. Welcome to the balancing act that is video encoding...

• 3. Re: Export file size help...output seems way too big
              Colin Brougham Level 6

For a 12 minute video less than 100 MB with decent quality is impossible.

Nonsense. I could do a lot with 8MB a minute, particularly if it's something like a screen recording. Don't be such a naysayer...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Export file size help...output seems way too big
                Harm Millaard Level 7

No HD, only 5:30 minutes and already over 100 MB.

24-2-2011 18-13-13.jpg

Now go to 12 minutes for a movie, not a screen recording.

Maybe you can show me a less than 100 MB file with a 12 minute HD movie with decent quality. I look forward to it. If you can't, please stop calling me a naysayer.

• 5. Re: Export file size help...output seems way too big
                  mccrorey_digital Level 1

Colin,

Thanks so much for your help....I appreciate you looking into this for me.

I am playing with the bit rate setting now to balance the quality vs. file size.

Are there anyother variables that you would recommend - besides output size. 

Paul

• 6. Re: Export file size help...output seems way too big
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, with the Apple H.264 encoder in a QuickTime container, you're a bit limited to the number of things you can tweak to decrease final file size. Using a more advanced H.264 encoder, like the free x264, will give access to many of the more "high-tech" bells and whistles that are part of the H.264 standard. One potential would be to tick the "Key frame every # frame" box and try a few values there, usually at multiples of your frame rate. Key frames are "whole" frames that take up much more space in the final file size, and decrease their frequency might help slightly decrease file size, though it will also affect quality.

Short of changing the dimensions of your destination video, decreasing the frame rate, or changing the bitrate of the video and audio streams, you will eventually reach a limit of how much you can push one parameter or another. You might try using H.264 in the Format (not codec) dropdown; this will give you a bit more control over encoding to an H.264 MP4 file. Unless you specifically need a QuickTime MOV, you might find you get better results with the H.264 MP4.

These are of course just the options in Premiere itself. Once you go outside the castle walls, you can find a whole bunch of other options, though they usually come at a steeper learning curve. The big thing to remember is that there is no free lunch when it comes to encoding; you have to give a bit here to gain there, and it's all about setting thresholds of what you're willing to accept.

1 person found this helpful