5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2011 11:25 AM by JEShort01

What is the best set up for using areca 1880 ix-24.

Grecco32

Hi Folks!

This is a great forum.  I have received a lot of helpful information!  But I still have some questions.

I am using all F3 1 terrabite discs.  I have 30 plus, also 1 tb RE3's and 500 gb RE3's, Raptor 150 & 300's.  Drives are not a problem. Just wondering the best way to set this controller up.  It's all new so I can do just about anything.

I have the following in a server case:

P6T7 WS SuperComputer

I7-980X

GTX 580

Areca 1880 ix-24

24 gb DDR 3-1600

Blue Ray burner

I am only using one SETA chanel for my blue ray player.  Should I use one of the other chanels for the operating system?  Or, is it better off the controller?

Just playing around now, I have four 500 gb drives in raid 0, just for the heck of it on the areca and 20 1 tb drives left.  I can also go external with more, if that would help.

Can you please give me your thoughts on this and what would be the optimal setup.  I am a little confused about how not to format the drive for windows 7 installation.  It seems I read in one of the posts, to format it ahead of time and not let windows put the 100 mb partition in.   Can you clarify?

Thanks for any input or recomendations.

Joseph

• 1. Re: What is the best set up for using areca 1880 ix-24.
          Scott Chichelli Level 3

no need to have the OS or BDR on it. not recommended unless doing a raid 5 for OS.

if i had that controller and the drives i would create 2 x 8 drive raid 6 with hot swap spares

use 1 raid array as your media etc drive

1 raid array as Export

and i would still back up externally :-)

Scott

ADK

• 2. Re: What is the best set up for using areca 1880 ix-24.
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would suggest making a work array and a archive array or mirror a raid 5 or 10 to the 2nd array.

Work array - 10 Drive raid 10

Archive array - 10 Drive raid 10. Raid 6 if you use the Enterprise drives.

1 or 2 drives for hot spare.

Work. - 12 drive raid 10

Archive - Mirrored 12 drive  raid 10 array for backup.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: What is the best set up for using areca 1880 ix-24.
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Let me add one thing I would do before setting up the final array's.  Buy a copy to HD Tune Pro and initially test your disk drives with RAID 0 and see that you have good read and write performance.  I have found that using a large quantity of end user drives that sometimes you might get a drive that just will not perform properly in an large array although it works perfectly as an individual drive.  The larger the array the more likely you will have a disk drive that will not perform properly, my results showed a significant drop in write performance..  Hunting for the drive that drags down your performance is a trial and error process.  I have also found that the first 8 ports of the Areca controller are native ports and provide the best performance.  The other higher number ports will not give as good performance as the first 8 because they are achieved by SAS/SATA switches off the first eight.

Here are examples that I have seen with 8 each 1 TB drives with fairly good write performance and with bad write performance.

HDTune-8x1-TB-Good.jpg

HDTune-8x1-TB-Bad.jpg

• 4. Re: What is the best set up for using areca 1880 ix-24.
                JEShort01 Level 4
                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Bill Gehrke wrote:

I have also found that the first 8 ports of the Areca controller are native ports and provide the best performance.  The other higher number ports will not give as good performance as the first 8 because they are achieved by SAS/SATA switches off the first eight.

Thank you for that! I think you have just answered something that has been confusing me on my 12-port Areca.

How did you determine this, or did you read about it somewhere?

• 5. Re: What is the best set up for using areca 1880 ix-24.
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Loads and loads of testing.  I initially tried 16 disks 1 TB drives and got lousy results.  I found two or three drives that affect performance.  I pared it down to 8 drives that got good results so I could check the performance versus low/high ports, after I got and tested a "good" set of disk on ports 1-8, I moved them to 9-16 on my Areca ARC-1880ix-16 and found worse results just by changing the two connectors to the higher ports.  Now you can see why I suggest quick initial testing with RAID 0 which has no initialization time.  I still have to do a lot more testing on different RAID configurations to see what the optimum setup is under real RAID configurations. Of course I am simultaneously running PPBM5 tests.  And another experiment I plan on is multiple controllers.