3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 4:37 PM by mborosch

Export Problem...The Sky looks terrible

mborosch Level 1

This video was shot a couple months ago so I do not remember any of the settings, I know I mad a few mistakes, I did not modify the picture style like Philip Bloom suggests and I think I had a polarizing filter on.

The sky is not as pixelated in the original file from the camera but every time I export from Premiere Pro CS5 the sky looks like crap.  I’ve been using the vimeo settings for HD which usually looks pretty good.  Most of this will be displayed on my website in H264 format with a player from slideshow pro.

Any suggestions…….

Is there any single export preset for the h264 that works best for the web around the 700 px wide format?

Link to video

http://borosch.com/rear-video.html

Thanks

Mark

• 1. Re: Export Problem...The Sky looks terrible
          Colin Brougham Level 6

The whole thing looks pretty meh--not the photography (that looks nice ) but the encode is pretty rotten all around.

I'd start by setting the profile to Main (you're using Baseline), and if you're not, try 2-pass VBR. Those are both settings in the Video tab of the Export Settings window for H.264. At 2000kbps, you'd figure an encode would look better--I can get a better-looking encode at about 400kbps.

Another thing you can try is to stick to frame dimensions that are even multiples of 16; neither 700 or 394 are. That may eke out just a bit more quality.

Anyway, start there, and see if that improves things at all.

• 2. Re: Export Problem...The Sky looks terrible
            mborosch Level 1

Colin

Thanks for the ideas, I'm a still shooter stat is starting to venture into video for my clients, so I'm a little new to this.  I understand most of the settings you mentioned withthe exception of:

"At 2000kbps, you'd figure an encode would look better--I can get a better-looking encode at about 400kbps."

Could you please explain this or tell me where these settings are?

I've posted a screen shot of my settings.

It seems as if the export settings are not as clear with video as they are with stills.  Do you know good export settings for videos to run on the ipad.  I have one that works, but if I could improve that one too, it would be great.

Thanks

Mark

settings.jpg

• 3. Re: Export Problem...The Sky looks terrible
              mborosch Level 1

I have an updated version, that looks better, but still not the quality that I would like.  The skies look better but it also stutters a little bit (does not play smooth)

New version:

http://borosch.com/rear-video2.html

I set the Bitrate Encoding to:

VBR, 2 Pass

Target Bitrate to 4

Maximum Bitrate tp 4

Any help is greatley appreciated.

Mark