0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 2:16 PM by bluedevilsfan816

Adober Reader 6.0 is ghosting my computer.

bluedevilsfan816

Hi,

I am working aith a computer running Windows XP, and I am trying to install Adobe Reader.  The problem is, every time I try to install Reader, whether it's the new version or an older one, the installer fails, because Adobe Acrobat 6 comes up in the place of Reader.  I have tried to remove Adobe Acrobat and found it's not on my computer any longer.  The files are all gone, and it isn't listed in Add/Remove Programs.  However some of it's old updates still linger on the Add/Remove Programs list.  Whenever I try to remove them, it always says cannot find uninstaller and asks me to find it in a dialog box.  I never have found it so I click Cancel and the Adobe Acrobat update that I was trying to unistall disappears from the list.  There are four of them.  Adobe Acrobat 6.0.2, then also 6.0.3, 6.0.4, and I think maybe 6.0.5.  I uninstall them one at a time with the same process described above always ending with me cancelling because there is no uninstall information and apparently Windows doesn't have any self contained protocol for removing unwanted stuff like this, so once cancelled the item is taken off the list.  The problem is it isn't really gone.  Everytime this happens they reappear after a restart of the computer, like they had never been deleted in the first place!  They also reappear after closing and then opening the Add/Remove programs dialog without a restart.  I don't even know for sure if this is what is causing the actual problem, that being that when I try to instal the new and old versions of Reader, somehow the installer gets Acrobat instead, thinking I am trying to update a program that isn't even supposed to exist on the machine any longer.  How it confuses the two is beyond me and very frustrating.  Is my only option going to turn out to be competely killing the machine with a reinstallation of the operating system after erasing and formatting the entire hard drive due to this confusing and frustrating dilema?  The only other thing I can think of, and this probably won't work either, is doing the installation after deleting the updates but before closing the Add/Remove Programs window so they don't have a chance to reappear before the instaltion takes place.  If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.