8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2011 7:40 AM by Ted Smith

How to freeze a title at the end, instead of going dark?

fyddeye

Hi,

I'm using PE9, and I would like to keep the final title slide in view at the end of the video, instead of going dark. The slide has a URL and it's not much use if it disappears. I've tried a freeze frame, but that doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing it wrong. (I've checked the online documentation.)

Thank you for your suggestions.

fyddeye

• 1. Re: How to freeze a title at the end, instead of going dark?
          Ted Smith Level 3

You can extend the time a clip shows by simply slowing it down a lot.

If it was a moving thing you freeze it then extend that part  after the freeze.

The part to be extended muxt be on a seperate video track otherwise the audio will slow down too

• 2. Re: How to freeze a title at the end, instead of going dark?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, a couple of questions:

How are you delivering your file? This can be important in how you handle things.

How long would you like for that Title to remain on-screen?

As Ted states, you can increase the Duration of the Title, to a desired length.

Holding the Title forever, is possible if you are delivering via DVD, or BD, but I am not sure that it can be done in PrE. In a full-featured authoring program, like Adobe Encore, it's simple, and you'd just do a Menu with the text. There are some little tricks, such as "Easter egg" Buttons, but I would provide the user with a function to finally exit that Menu. Not sure of the capabilities of authoring programs, like Sony DVD Architect. The same might be true for them, but I just do not know.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Also, if you have an animated Title, you can just extend the Duration, and Keyframe the Title to, say pause for 2 mins., and then animate off screen. Just depends on what you want to do, and what you need.

• 3. Re: How to freeze a title at the end, instead of going dark?
              fyddeye Level 1

Bill, thanks for the hints. I should've been more specific on delivery. I'm creating a video for web distribution, such as YouTube. I'd like the title to stay visible at the end, instead of going to black by default. That is, when play stops, the final frame is still visible. The last item in the timeline is a title still with a URL that hopefully will prompt a viewer to visit.

Perhaps this is an encoder setting?

Thanks again.

Fyddeye

• 4. Re: How to freeze a title at the end, instead of going dark?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unless you add a Fade Out at the end of your video, YouTube or whatever should show the last frame of your video when it finishes playing.

Does your title show as your last frame?

• 5. Re: How to freeze a title at the end, instead of going dark?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This will be highly player dependent. Some will hold the last Frame, while some will go immediately to the first Frame.

The best that one can do is to extend that ending Title for a period of time, to allow the viewer time to jot down the URL. Normally, the rule of thumb is to allow time for the viewer to read a Title 1.5x. In your case, I would extend that to about 4x. Maybe even do two Titles at the end. The first would be the normal ending Title, with the URL, and then like the TV commercials, Fade to a Title with just the URL, and hold it for a bit, and do not Fade that, so for the players, that do freeze the last Frame, it will be what is shown. For those players, that jump to the first Frame, you have still displayed your URL for quie some time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to freeze a title at the end, instead of going dark?
                    fyddeye Level 1

Bill, your suggestion makes the most sense in the context I plan to use the video: YouTube. I just remembered that at the end of a video, YouTube shows a menu of sorts with related videos. So even if I managed to freeze the final frame in the encoded file, it would still go away in the YouTube environment. So holding the image for several seconds makes sense.

Your idea also argues for keeping that final image extremely simple, i.e., just the URL without extra text.

Thanks!

Fyddeye

• 7. Re: How to freeze a title at the end, instead of going dark?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As you have zero control of how a player, embedded, or stand-alone, will behave, the best that you can do is to allow for the reset to first Frame, or as in the case you mention, it defaulting to something else, like a menu.

What you want to do is create the annoying flashing 800 number on TV commercials, but without the annoyance.

The reason that I chose the 2 Title method is that the viewer will see the URL in the "main" or first Title, and then have time to grab a pen to jot it down, when you go to just the URL. Keeping that last Title simple, makes it easy for the viewer to see just the URL clearly. When trying to make note of contact info, I hate to have to pick it out of a bunch of extraneous junk.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to freeze a title at the end, instead of going dark?
                        Ted Smith Level 3

You can cheat by making the video twice as long as the actual video with the second half black with your url on it!

The unwary will think it's finished if they dont  look at the little position indicator.