2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 3:07 PM by Larrykoen

Hang when opening multiple pdfs: Reader 10.0.1 (Win Server 2008 x64 SP2)

PaulDuro

I have recently updated Adobe Reader to the latest patch update 10.0.1.

Previous to this update, I was able to open multiple pdfs at once and had no issues with the Adobe Reader software. After updating to 10.0.1 I've noted that when I attempt to open more than one pdf at a time, Reader hangs (Windows indicates a "Not Responding" error has occurred). After a series of minutes, the second (or third, fourth etc) file opens, and Reader appears to function as per normal..

I'm running Adobe Reader 10.0.1 on a Windows Server 2008 x64 (SP2) box, and didn't have this issue with the 10.0.0 release..

Does anyone else share this issue, and if so, is there an update planned to solve the issue? I would also be happy to provide more diagnostics/specs if these will provide info for developers to chase down the issue here..

• 1. Re: Hang when opening multiple pdfs: Reader 10.0.1 (Win Server 2008 x64 SP2)
          AlanS5100 Level 1

I also have Reader 10.0.1 (Win 7 Home Premium x32).  I can open several large PDFs (including one over 100 MiB) satisfactorily and then have the whole thing hang.  As I am trying to work with these documents, I have not been patient enough to wait for minutes.  I just have to terminate Reader and relaunch it.

I have removed some of my DLLs to stop Reader wasting my time preparing a long document for reading, which I do not need .  (It would really help if Adobe would provide a setting to turn this off, instead of my having to hack it. )

I never had any similar problems with Reader 9.  Did anyone test Reader X before releasing it?  I have read elsewhere that turning Protected Mode off may help but...

• 2. Re: Hang when opening multiple pdfs: Reader 10.0.1 (Win Server 2008 x64 SP2)
            Larrykoen

Same issue with Reader 10.1.0 under Win XP Version 2000 / SP3.

As soon as Reader hung, I attempted to close it using Task Manager (which described it as Not Responding).  Reader took some minutes to close, and then I reopened it with no apparent difficulty.