5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2011 1:47 PM by kglad

Making a zoomable comic

undesignuk

Hi,

I am trying to make a comic by putting the comic in a movie clip called graphic_novel (also the instance name) but I want to have individual thumbnails in the comic zoomable so that if you hover over them then you get a further zoom into each thumbnail of the comic.

So far I have the following actionscript on the main comic which also has a motion tween between frame 1 and 20 so that it zooms in or out over that amount of frames.

The zoom works fine but I have tried numerous methods of creating invisible movie clip buttons over the individual thumbnails and tried to add similar actionscript to make a further zoom. Basically I want to navigate around the comic using zoom in zoom out.

Any ideas?

// whenever player enters frame, perform the actions between the curly brackets

onClipEvent (load){

_root.graphic_novel.onEnterFrame = function(){

// if our zoom is "true", then previous frame (rewind)

if(zoom == true){

_root.graphic_novel.prevFrame();

}

}

}

// when mouse is over this symbol, perform the actions between the curly brackets

onClipEvent (load){

_root.graphic_novel.onRollOver = function(){

// sets zoom as false, contradicting our "if" statement above, so it plays our clip

zoom = false;

play();

}

}

// when mouse is not over this symbol, perform the actions between the curly bracktes

onClipEvent (load){

_root.graphic_novel.onRollOut = function(){

// sets zoom as true thus meeting the requirements of our "if" statement above

// so it goes to the previous frame of our movie clip

zoom = true;

}

}

• 1. Re: Making a zoomable comic
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

remove code from objects and delete those onClipEvent(load) lines.   then use the trace() function to see if you're detecting a rollover.

• 2. Re: Making a zoomable comic
            undesignuk Level 1

Thanks for your reply. The whole comic movie clip (called graphic_novel) with an instance name graphic_novel is working fine with that code above. It zooms in and out over 20 frames. The problem is when I add another movie clip on a separate layer of (as indicated by the slightly green button over the top of the policeman), I want it to zoom further to that clip and then I intend to set up all the individual thumbnails so that you can view them all in detail.

I tried the following code on the green button (see below image) its doing something just not what I want it to do.

Screen shot_as2_comic.png

// when mouse is over this symbol, perform the actions between the curly brackets

onClipEvent (load){

_root.graphic_novel.onRollOver = function(){

// sets zoom as false, contradicting our "if" statement above, so it plays our clip

zoom = false;

_root.graphic_novel.gotoAndPlay(21);

}

}

// when mouse is not over this symbol, perform the actions between the curly bracktes

onClipEvent (load){

_root.graphic_novel.onRollOut = function(){

// sets zoom as true thus meeting the requirements of our "if" statement above

// so it goes to the previous frame of our movie clip

zoom = true;

}

}

• 3. Re: Making a zoomable comic

again, remove code from objects and delete those onClipEvent(load) lines.    then use the trace() function to see if you're detecting a rollover.

• 4. Re: Making a zoomable comic
                undesignuk Level 1

Hi

Thanks for your reply,

Just to be clear. Do you mean delete the code from the object (object action) and make it a frame action but also delete the onClipEvent (Load) lines then add a trace to see if anything is output when you roll over.

thanks

• 5. Re: Making a zoomable comic

Just to be clear. Do you mean delete the code from the object (object action)

yes

and make it a frame action

yes

but also delete the onClipEvent (Load) lines

yes

then add a trace to see if anything is output when you roll over.

yes