25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2011 7:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 won't load

NadineR79

Hi! I am in desperate need of help. I just purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 9, along with a new PC. It's a Dell Inspiron with an i3 processor, 4 GB memory, 1 TB harddrive and Windows 7 64bit.

Adobe PE 9 opened at first, but then would crash every time I tried to add a theme. Now, even if I click to open a new project, I get a message saying that it has encountered a serious error and must close.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the content. I cannot uninstall the program, because the deactivate button is grayed out. I also tried disabling McAfee. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at the comments, and links in this ARTICLE.

Hope that something in there helps you.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And make sure you go to Windows Update and manually download the SP1 update!

Once you've done that, tell us what model of camcorder this video came from and which project settings you selected when you set up your project.

I would also recommend you clean and defragment your hard drive. And tell us how much free, defragmented space there is on your hard drive. (And let us know if you have more than one hard drive!)

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
              NadineR79 Level 1

I have taken the following steps, with no luck.

-Updated to Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

-Downloaded the PRE 9 update.

-Ran Disk Cleanup

-Ran Disk defragmenter.

-Updated BIOS software

-Checked for new drivers for audio and graphics.

-Disabled anti virus

-Turned off Windows Indexing

I have 871 GB of free, defragmented space on my hard drive. I am only using one hard drive. All I have tried to do so far with PRE is use photos that I have saved on the hard drive. I haven't even gotten to videos yet!

Here are the two error messages:

"There is no drive in the disk. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk3\DR3." (This error message occurs whenever I try to use Instant Movie or Themes.)

"A serious error has occured. The program must shut down." (This happens whenever I click to open a new project.)

I read Bill's help article and think I have done everything he mentioned. Any other suggestions? I was so excited to use this program and really want to get started playing around with it!

Thank you so much for your help!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                "There is no drive in the disk. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk3\DR3." (This error message occurs whenever I try to use Instant Movie or Themes.)

My first thought is that you have not installed the additional Functional Content. With an installation from media, you should have 2 discs each for the PC and for the Mac. The second disc in the set will be the additional content, which will be many more Menus, Themes/Instant Movies and Titles.

Depending on the settings of your multi-drive, just inserting the second disc should launch AutoRun and the installation process.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I read Bill's help article and think I have done everything he mentioned. Any other suggestions? I was so excited to use this program and really want to get started playing around with it!

Well, that about covers what comes to my mind.

One question, however, is regarding your still images. What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the ones that you have Imported? The DPI/PPI, and the file sizes are not important. It's pixel x pixel that counts. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Depending on the answer to that question, my next rec. would be to post the full specs. of your system, and also your Project Preset. This ARTICLE will give you tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                    NadineR79 Level 1

I spent an hour doing a live chat with a Microsoft rep yesterday, because I thought that error message might have something to do with Windows 7. It seems that Instant Movie and the Themes are missing some data files. I have a help request in with Adobe.

I read your article about image sizes and I realize now that I will have to size down my photos. The program only seems to have a problem with me using the in Instant Movies and Themes.

I am learning a lot about the program by reading all of your Articles. I appreciate your help. I guess for now I will need to forgo the Instant Movie and Themes tabs and actually do the work myself!

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If there are problems with the Instant Movies and Themes, I would like to think that if you were to install that Functional Content again, it would clean things up. Did you install from media, or from a downloaded file?

Good luck, and thank you for the kind words,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                        Bill R TechSpec

It seems that Adobe PE9 did not install correctly (to the point where it can’t even be uninstalled).

You could contact Adobe Tech Support to learn how to manually uninstall it and then re-attempt installation (this will involve going into the registry and manually removing all the places the program would have created files – something which should be attempted only with Adobe Tech Support’s guidance as they would know all the places to search and how to safely remove the file entries).

Before doing this, you might try doing a system restore to a date before Adobe PE9 was installed. Sometimes doing so will remove enough items so that the program can then be re-installed after the restore is complete. This would be the simpler solution.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load

Sorry, Bill, but I've deleted the link to your site.

We don't mind people posting links and recommending products -- but not in their very first post. More often than not, when they do, they turn out to be spambots in disguise.

If you're not a spambot, you're welcome to join in our discussions and occasionally post links to your or other products. Thanks.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                            Bill R TechSpec Level 1

Hi Steve,

Well, I'm not a spambot (at least I wasn't one last time I checked...) When I

registered I thought you had a question meant to detect spambots. Sorry if I did

something wrong -- I was just trying to help.

So you're saying it would be OK to include links post things later, but not now?

What's the criteria?

Let me know so I don't keep doing things wrong.

Bill

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load

As long as every post doesn't include a link, you'll be fine, Bill. This forum is mostly about conversation, not product promotion.

But if you think Diskeeper would really help in this particular situation, go ahead and post a link here.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I'll second Diskkeeper. I've used it for many years, though never in active mode. To date, no one problem. There could be better out there, but so long as it performs for me, I'll keep it, until someone twists my arm to try another such utility.

@Bill,

We all post links in the body text, where they are applicable. I have probably posted the link to the utilities, G-Spot and MediaInfo 10,000 times, where they would help the posters find out about their media files. Both of these utilities are freeware, like the great burning utility ImgBurn and also the audio-editing program, Audacity.

It's the same for the great Web site, Muvipix.com, especially as their forum is open and free. Though it's a multi-tier site, they have Steve's excellent articles on PrE, and also all of his books. Here, because there is a commercial element, I try to tell the poster of those tiers, and point them to the free stuff first. Then, they can decide if a subscription is useful. In the PrPro forum, I got called on this, and pointed out the multi-levels, and what was available for free. After that round of questions, all was OK.

When asked, I used to post a link to the media conversion program, that I have also used for years, on every one of my computers, but the company has much newer versions now, and I have not used them yet, so refrain from doing more than a passing comment.

Links in a signature, or in a Profile are not cool, but doubt that either of those apply here. I missed your link, so cannot comment on it.

Glad that you like Diskkeeper too, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                  NadineR79 Level 1

Thank you, Bill R, for your suggestion about the system restore. I am running Backup and Restore right now and then I will try it. I have been given many suggestions by Adobe, but none of them have worked so far. I am not home during their business hours, so if your suggestions don't work, then I will have to wait until my next weekday off to get this figured out!

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and please keep us updated on how things go.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                      Bill R TechSpec Level 1

My pleasure Nadine -- glad to be of help! Good luck to you and do keep us posted

on how this goes. If I think of anything else, I will post it for you.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                        SuperWeak

I have the same problem on a brand new Dell XPS 7100 that came preinstalled with Premiere Elements 8, Unfortunately I waited until 61 days before talking to Dell for support and no longer had free troubleshooting.  So I tried the Premiere Elements 9 TRIAL.  This worked so I decided to activate it.  As soon as I entered the product key, it stopped working.  Tried to start "New Project" and it just opens the blank shell; all menu options are "greyed-out".  Rebooted and nothing.  Tried starting will Norton antivirus completely turned off and Nothing.

What kind of product works in trial mode then stops when you enter the product key?  A BAD ONE.

The fact that I could find MANY complaints across the internet about this identical issue occurring with Windows 7 64-bit and Adobe Premiere Elements 9 indicates there is a serious issue here and Adobe is basically ignoring it.

Any help, other that re-imaging my hard drive and trying again, would be appreciated.

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I do not reacall of anyone having any problems, when going from the trial to the full-paid version. Normally, when one receives they Key, they just plug that in, and things work fine.

Now, I am assuming that the issue happened after you added the Key for the full-paid version of PrE 9, and not the Key from the older PrE 8. Is that correct?

Good luck, and you might want to take a look at this ARTICLE, for getting PrE to run and run smoothly.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            The fact that I could find MANY complaints across the internet about this identical issue occurring with Windows 7 64-bit and Adobe Premiere Elements 9 indicates there is a serious issue here and Adobe is basically ignoring it.

As I said, I cannot recall any posts, where the upgrading from trial to the full-paid version killed PrE. Maybe none of those users posted here. Can you provide some links? There might be something useful in those discussion.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                              nealeh Level 5

The drivers on a new machine will be out of date. Take a look at PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips and work through the basics.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale
                                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                                SuperWeak Level 1

Here's the full story.

I have a Dell XPS 7100 that is 2 months old.  It came with the Premiere / Photoshop Elements 8 pre-installed.  Premeire Elements 8 never worked on this machine, despite trying several tips (uninstalling McAfee, reistalling Premiere from disk ,downloading Premiere and installing that way, turning of firewall ad virus protection, etc).  I downloaded Premiere Elements 9 trial and that worked, so my thoughts were that version 9 is a better product for Windows 7 64-bit, and whatever else Dell put on my machine.  I bought the license for version 9, entered the key to activate, then it stopped working.  This is where I was at my previous post.

Well, Dell spent 6 hours connected to my machine trying to get Premiere Elements 8 working (since they will support what they installed).  My rationale was that the problem that prevented version 8 from EVER working is probably the same problem that prevents version 9 from working.  At the end of the day Dell basically gave up and said they couldn't fix it, "sorry, there is no charge, try calling Adobe on Monday".  So the version 8 that Dell pre-installed on my 2 month old XPS 7100 never worked, and they don't know how to fix it.

Later yesterday evening I decided to work on it a little more.  I left the Premiere Elements 8 installed on my machine.  When poking around on the C drive, I saw that some of the McAfee files were still there.  Now, I saw the Dell techs run some utilities to remove McAfee earlier in the day.  For whatever reason, (probably that they are incompetent) this McAfee removal did not work.  So I did some research and downloaded the official McAfee removal utility and cleaned every last bit (I hope) of Dell - factory installed McAffee off my machine.  After this I downloaded all of the Premiere Elements 9 files to my hard drive and installed them from there.  I also installed the new Windows 7 64bit SP1, just for good measure.

Long story short, now Premiere Elements 9 is working!  I chalk the problem up to the lingering presence of McAfee.  There is a possibility of the Win7 SP1 helping, but it seems that many other people are running PE9 on their pre SP1 systems just fine.

So if you have a new Dell with Win 7 64bit and want to run PE9, wipe-out McAfee first.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                                  nealeh Level 5

McAfee (in my view) is the most common of the 'big' anti-virus software bundles to cripple PRE that we see in these forums. Over the years I've tried most of the commercial and freeware AV products and have settled on Microsoft Security Essentials with SUPERAntiSpyware Professional version (there is also a free version).

Cheers,
                                                  --
                                                  Neale

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                                    NadineR79 Level 1

I spent over an hour on the phone with Adobe Tech Support on Friday. During the course of the remote connection, their tech uninstalled Premiere Elements 9, without being able to deactivate it. I was told I would be given a new access code with no problems and that a Level 2 Engineer would call me back. I'm still waiting for that phone call and Adobe isn't responding to my support case emails. I tried calling yesterday, but couldn't stay on hold for 50 minutes. I'm starting to get angry now. I know $100 might not seem like a lot, but I also bought a brand new computer so I could start getting serious about creating slideshows. I'm now starting to comtemplate cutting my losses and buying another program!

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                                      nealeh Level 5

NadineR79 wrote:

... bought a brand new computer so I could start getting serious about creating slideshows. I'm now starting to comtemplate cutting my losses and buying another program!

Photodex - ProShow Gold always gets good reviews. It is purely slide show production and may suit your needs better. You should be able to get a refund on your PRE9.

Cheers,
                                                      --
                                                      Neale

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                                        Rich_Ar

Hi, had a very similar problem with a Dell Studio xps, unistalled McAffee and all is now OK.

Months of frustration finally resolved!!

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 9 won't load
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As you, and many others, have found, anti-virus software, and especially the newer real time, active scanning versions, can just flat kill a video editing program, like PrE. Thanks for reporting your success, and I hope that others will heed your advice.

Good luck,

Hunt