7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2011 8:03 AM by the_wine_snob

Best Preset to use.

bmeredith1969

I have a Samsung HMX-H100N that I shot a video with in 1280x720 60p.  The camera records to an SC card, saves the video file in MPEG-4 format and uses a 37mm wide angle lens.

My problem seems to be no matter what preset I use when starting a project.  I have huge black bars at the top and bottom of the screen and the image seems to be pressed down vertically and stretched horizontally.  

What is the best preset to use, or is this version of Premiere compatable with this format?

• 1. Re: Best Preset to use.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have read of problems with 60p footage... do a test at 60i and see if it works better

>this version of Premiere

Well... what version?

Premiere Elements 9 has more compatible formats than earlier versions... what do YOU have?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best Preset to use.
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with John. 60p won't work right in Premiere Elements.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a spech sheet for this cam online, so I don't know if it shoots in more than one format (say 60i).

This also does not appear to be a standard AVCHD camcorder, so it's not ideally suited for editing with any software except what came with the camcorder.

But if you can check your specs and let us know if it shoots in other formats and frame sizes and, if so, what they are, we may be able to find a workable soluiton of some kind for you.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Best Preset to use.
              bmeredith1969 Level 1

I have 8.0  but I read somewhere else that 8.0 had difficulty with this particular format, and they it would be addressed in 9.0.  So, since 9.0 is out, I downloaded the trial and installed it and loaded up my project, and what do you know, but everything looks GREAT.  So, I figure it was something that Adobe fixed.  Heading over to the "Store" on the adobe site to buy my 9.0 key ASAP.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

• 4. Re: Best Preset to use.
                bmeredith1969 Level 1

The camera will shoot in 60i but at 1080 only.  It shoots 720 and 480 in 60p.  But, it seems (for the moment) that simply upgrading to Premiere Elements 9.0 has fixed the problem.  Not, marking this one answered just yet, in case I run into another issue in a little bit.  But, I can say we are very close.

• 5. Re: Best Preset to use.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck with PrE 9, and please report your successes!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Best Preset to use.
                    bmeredith1969 Level 1

Hi all you helpful guys here in the Adobe

Forums.

I wanted to report back on this and let you know that upgrading to PE 9 pretty much fixed all my preset issues.  I even went back and re-rendered some of my older projects done in PE8 that I never could get to look just right (bars at top and bottom of screen, or images looking distorted)

PE9 has been GREAT for me.  I love that it prompts you if you are importing in video that does not match or current preset, so you can choose to change the preset or ignore it.

So, thanks for the help.

I am about to post another question that I have nosed around the forums (and the net) looking for an answer to, but havn't had one jump out at me.

• 7. Re: Best Preset to use.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I even went back and re-rendered some of my older projects done in PE8 that I never could get to look just right (bars at top and bottom of screen, or images looking distorted)

This is almost always due to a mis-match between the Project Preset and the source material, and usually in the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) not matching. While there are some workarounds, if one does much "adjustment," then the quality will likely suffer a little, or maybe a lot.

Instead of mixing footage on the Timeline/Project, I strongly recommend first doing a conversion to get the non-standard footage into a match with the standard. Beyond that, one can use some of those workarounds, such as using the fixed Effect>Motion>Scale and possibly some Motion>Position (effectively cropping the Frame) to get things to fit. Or, one could leave the black bars. This method is seen often on TV, where perhaps the program material is 16:9, but a commercial is done in 4:3 - black bars. One variation to this is to use an "underlay" video, and perhaps "ghost" it, or Blur it, so that instead of black bars, one sees an abstract background Video filling where the black bars would be. I use a variation of this, when working with vertical stills, that I want to show 100%, with no cropping. The Abstract Background is discussed HERE. With pure Video (instead of still images), the technique is very, very similar.

Thanks for reporting, and PrE 9 is a vast improvement, regarding Project Presets - some very useful ones were added.

Good luck,

Hunt