4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 11:19 AM by Harm Millaard

Accidental Cuts

kdoc2 Level 1

When rearranging my timeline (moving a clip), or adding clips or stills to it, I try to "insert" between two clips or still images, without effecting the clips which are there--without cutting them. Mainly, I control lift to Video 2, drag, and place where I want them. Not infreqently, I discover some hours or days later that I've cut off a small fragment of a clip--and that the two pieces are separated. Now I know from a previous post that I can just delete the small  fragment and drag out the  longer piece to a length it was.

But what I'd like to know is: 1. How can I avoid making inadvertent cuts in clips or stills--how can I insert a clip perfectly between two others? 2. What do you recommend as the best way to do this? Should I be using the lift and extract icons in the Project panel, rather than manually dragging things around? 3. Does it matter whether you hold down the Ctl key before  or after you've clicked on it, to make the edit and "insert" and not an "overlay"?

Thanks

kdoc

• 1. Re: Accidental Cuts
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Position the CTI at the end of beginning of the clip where you want the insert to occur (use PGDN/PGUP for that) and then insert instead of overlay. Turning Snap on may make it a bit easier.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Accidental Cuts
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Kdoc,

Along with Harm's suggestions, if you find that you HAVE Cut a Clip, you can do two things:

• Leave it alone, as it's really just a set of instructions for how PrPro will handle the data from your source Clip at Export - you have not really Cut your source Clip.
            • Delete one of the segments of the Clip, and then click-drag on the Head, or Tail of the other segment, to fill in. Neater, but not really necessary.

If you are dragging, just remember to hold down the Ctrl modifier key, for that Ripple insertion, unless you have already created a gap that matches the Duration of the Clip that you are inserting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Accidental Cuts
              kdoc2 Level 1

Does it matter whether the Ctl key is pressed before or after you've clicked on or began dragging the clip? Also, are you saying that there is no way to insert a clip without protecting the two adjacent clips from being cut (even though that poses on real problem?)

kdoc

• 4. Re: Accidental Cuts
                Harm Millaard Level 7

If you press the CTRL key while dragging, but before dropping it, the icon when moving to the time line panel will change from overlay to insert. With Snap on, it will move easily to the beginning of the clip you want or to the CTI and not insert it in the middle of a clip. Try it and you will see what I mean. It is pretty difficult to explain with words, especially for someone who who does not have English as the native language.