4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2011 4:07 PM by Elwoodbluesman

First part of my videos need re-rendering

Elwoodbluesman Level 1

This is not a big problem, but it has piqued my interest.  Why do I have to re-render the first 5 seconds of my videos?  I close the project file, after rendering and saving, but when I open the .Prel file the next time, there is a red line above the intro to the video.  I think it has to do with the title file I have inserted.  I haven't changed anything from when it was last opened, but still it has the red line? Any advice?  Thanks!

Elwood

PE 9 i-7 980X 12 core @3.33 12GB RAM ati 5850GPU

• 1. Re: First part of my videos need re-rendering
          nealeh Level 5

There have been quite a few discussions from users where this has  happened. I don't recall any solution being found. Feel lucky it is only  the first five seconds - others have reported the problem happening  over their entire timeline!

If you haven't already done so, make sure you work through the tips in PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips and maybe delete the cache folders in your project directory. This will require the project to be rendered again and will create new cache files.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: First part of my videos need re-rendering
            Elwoodbluesman Level 1

Okay, Thanks Neal.

• 3. Re: First part of my videos need re-rendering
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Out of curiosity, do you have either an external HDD, or networked drive in your system, for your workflow?

Do you have either active/real-time anti-virus, pop-up blocking or spy-sweeping running on your system?

Do you have Windows Indexing running on the HDD with the Scratch Disks>Media Cache files?

The way that it should work is that when one Renders the Timeline, a proxy file is created, and used for smoothest playback (red line turns green). Links to those proxy files (in the PREL) will be written to the Media Cache, and those links SHOULD function, when you reopen your Project. If for some reason, those links (absolute Paths, where every aspect must match - 100%) cannot be followed, PrE will either ask you to locate the Render files, or if the Path is correct, but the file cannot be accessed for some reason, it will just ignore them, and revert the green line to red. The above questions address a couple of possibilities for the Path being good, but the file not available for some reason.

It does seem that there can be other reasons that the links to Render files are "lost," but each case seems to be unique. This has been reported in both PrE and PrPro, and in a few cases for each program, there seems to be no common reason for why/how this happens. In PrPro CS5, one of the updates addressed some PRPROJ (that is the Project file in PrPro, like the PREL in PrE) issues, with one being "bloating" of the PRPROJ, and also some linking issues with the Scratch Disks. Still, a few users have experienced the "lost Renders."

For some background on Rendering, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: First part of my videos need re-rendering
                Elwoodbluesman Level 1

Good info Bill!  Many thanks!

Elwood