24 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2011 11:58 AM by the_wine_snob

basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge

robirdman1 Level 1

I just got this program and looked at some tutorials, and some of the other things about getting started,overview, basics etc.   This is my first version.  Unlike with other programs that have manuals or built in help, I have been unable to find anything that starts at the very beginning, explaining what you see when you first look at the screen -panels, menus etc.  Everything immediately seems to assume you know all this already and goes to more advanced stuff.

Then my first experience after reading a tutorial and using the Bridge to open files was that when I next opened my CS4 Photoshop, it's Bridge had been replaced by a new one.  Clciking on any type of file would open PP, not Photoshop, despite that program being set as the default in both Bridge and Explorer. Camera Raw files could not be opened at all an batches would not run.

I called PP pro tech support and as they couldn't solve the problem. insisted that the Bridge was not a part of PP pro and transferred me to Photoshop tech who wanted to charge me $40 for helping.  I got a supervisor who also wanted to charge me and finally got him to remotely view that clicking on the Photoshop CS4. icon opened a Bridge that said CS5.  Then after some further exploration and closing the Bridge in task manager, was able to get back the original Bridge and said he would email the PP techs who didn't have a clue and should have provided the free support.

Still, if I use the PP Bridge it will hijack my Photoshop CS4 one and I will have to do this procedure every time.

So where can I go to start at the basics of explaining the PP screen panels, menus etc?

• 1. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> So where can I go to start at the basics of explaining the PP screen panels, menus etc?

See this page for links to sets of basic video tutorials.

The Premiere Pro CS5 Classroom in a Book is a good book for the basics. There are several free sample chapters here.

The Getting Started with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 DVD is an excellent place to start. There are some sample videos from it here.

There are some basic tutorials and workflow overviews here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/premiere/gettingstarted/

• 2. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Regarding your Bridge issue:

If you send me your technical support case number, I'll have someone look into your case. My email address is kopriva at adobe dot com.

• 3. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I strongly second Todd's rec. for Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Press. It starts at the beginning, with a walk-thru of the entire program and its GUI. Then, it starts one off with simple Projects, and will introduce the reader to most of the functions in the program, shoiwing the multiple ways to do nearly everything. It provides Project files (PRPROJ's), and Assets to use in the various exercises. When you finish with it, you will know the majority of what PrPro can do, and how to do it. One big plus is that the author also goes into details on the "why" you will do things in a particular manner. This is very important, as it is much easier to translate the lessons into real-world situations. Some similar books ONLY concentrate on the "how," leaving the "why" unanswered. Readers then must interpolate the lessons into their particular situation, and that can be tough.

In the old days, I strongly recommended that one read the complete manual at least twice, and THEN start with CiaB.

Now, I suggest that one do the CiaB first, and then come to know the Help Files intimately. One of the beauties of doing the Ciab first, is that one will then know the exact terms to Search for in the Help Files.

Good luck, and I think that you will find the CiaB to be a great investment. If nothing else, one will have fun with the exercises!

Hunt

• 4. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks for sending me your case number.

Just to confirm: Bridge is included with Premiere Pro, contrary to what you were told.

In Windows, I just tried assigning DNG and JPG files to Bridge CS4 as the default application to use for opening these files, and this seemed to work for me. If it's not working for you, then perhaps you'll get some help troubleshooting this issue on the Bridge forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/bridge

I've also asked some folks in our Technical Support group to take a look at your case, if only so that they can better educate the folks who told you on the phone that Bridge wasn't included with Premiere Pro.

• 5. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                  robirdman1 Level 1

Thanks. I found the classroom in a book good for some very basic stuff on ripple and rolling effect and some of the workspace description.  I had already looked at some of the other Getting Started tutorial and they seemed to assume that one was already familiar with the panels.

The strange thing about the Classroom in a book was that it was hard to return to an earlier video to review as then only subsequent ones were presented.  I was never able to find the workspace one mentioned.  He talked about moving the tool panel but mine was not in the upper left as described and was a floating panel that I couldn't integrate with the others. After the 2 videos I watched, the next video had no sound and thus made no sense.

I reopened a saved video clip I'd worked on earlier in the day.

Then when I played the video I found that something had happened to it.  It was looping on about one beat of music and I had to extend it.  I don't know how that happened.  Also there are 2 white rectangles concentric within the edit window and I don't know how they got there.

I had changed the speed/duration to 70% when I saved it and now I find that I can't go back to 100%.  I thought I had made progress on some basic understanding but I don't know what's going on.

I had another project with just audio of a tabla player, because I like the ability to slow the tempo to better figure out what is going on.  After figuring out where a 12 beat measure looped, I thought I could move the selection to the next but with only audio I can't find a way.  And here if I change the speed the clip is shortened.  I thought I had read somewhere of how to avoid this but can't find it now.

Some help would be much appreciated.

• 6. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For the various Workspace displays, Window>Workspaces will offer the ability to instantly set the Workspace to one of the many default designs, completely reset to the default, or to customize a Workspace and Save it for later use. Along the lines of the latter, I have about six Custom Workspaces for my dual monitors.

Good luck, and hope that the use of Window>Workspaces will get you what you need.

Hunt

• 7. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                      robirdman1 Level 1

I found the very beginning of Classroom and find it very helpful as

I am a total beginner at this.

Now I am on the section of the trim monitor though and I don't get it.

I have an audio file with no video of an Indian tabla duet.  I selected one rhythm cycle in the middle to repeat and snipped it with razors at each end.  I select it and expect it to play in the trim monitor as it did before, but it plays a different selection.  Is the only way to get the same selection typing in all the numbers such as 00.02.56.37631 and then same for the out point.  I don't believe so, but this is so far the only way for me.

• 8. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                        jeremy d. Level 3
                        I select it and expect it to play in the trim monitor as it did before, but it plays a different selection.

Where did you select it?

• 9. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                          robirdman1 Level 1

In the track it is on, Audio 1.

• 10. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                            jeremy d. Level 3

OK, bear with me for a minute --

The trim monitor should be showing the cut that is closest to the CTI, and on the track as chosen in the track pulldown menu in the middle of the panel. Playback in the trim monitor involves playing over the cut, but will not, in normal operation, play entire sections of the timeline. When you initiate playback in the timeline, the trim monitor panel loses focus and the video overlays disappear. Playback then occurs in the Program monitor.

I'm wondering if you're expecting to see the entire clip playing in the trim monitor.

• 11. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                              robirdman1 Level 1

CTI is what?

There is only one track and it has a section in the middle of 12 beats that was looped with start and end points.  When the trim monitor didn't consider these edits, showing th whole track and playing from the beginning, I used the razor to slice the start and end points of the loop but this made no difference either.  It seenms that I have to manually enter the number exactly of the start and end to play the section in the audio track 1.

It says audio 1 in the pulldown menu.

I just not understanding the point of the trim moinotr as it does show the entire track and would play it from the beginning if I didn't type in some other numbers.

• 12. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

CTI = Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Trim Monitor, think of it this way: One can have many Instances of the same source Clip, but with different In & Out Points - just like when working with the Source Monitor. The difference between those two is that the Trim Monitor offers more keyboard shortcuts to get those Instances into the Timeline at the point of the CTI. For what I think you are doing, you might find that using the Source Monitor might be easier, as I do not think that you need the extra controls in the Trim Monitor. However, I might be missing something.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                    jeremy d. Level 3

The Trim monitor and its tools adjust cuts between clips that are already on the Timeline. It does not interact with clips in the Source monitor.

TheTrim monitor is not designed to show an entire track, just the edit points. In and Out points are not edits.

- Choose your In- and Out points in the Source monitor

- Add the clips to the Timeline

- Use the Trim montor to make any necessary adjustments to the edit points between clips.

A screen shot might be in order.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're trying to create a loop of that audio track, so that it plays repeatedly on the timeline. The Trim monitor is probably not the place to be doing that.

Maybe I'm missing something.

• 15. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                      Chad Baker Adobe Employee

With regard to Premiere Pro overriding your file type associations in Bridge. This is by design. If you have Premiere Pro running, and you select Browse in Bridge from the Premiere Pro File menu to launch Bridge, you will launch an instance of Bridge that is paired with Premiere Pro. There's a hint in the title bar as to whether or not you're using the Premiere Pro instance of Bridge:

Capture.JPG

It knows it was opened from Premiere Pro and assumes that you want Bridge to be tailored to a Premiere Pro workflow. If you close that instance of Bridge (it may take a few seconds to close completely, check the Task Manager if you're still not seeing the expected behavior) and launch a new instance of Bridge by choosing the Bridge icon in the Start Menu, then you'll get the behavior you're expecting, with Bridge adhering to the file type associations set in the Bridge preferences.

Capture2.JPG

Also, if you're seeing incorrect versions of Bridge launching (eg. CS4 when you clicked the CS5 icon), I would check to see that you don't have Start Bridge at Login, set in the Bridge Preferences>Advanced. It's easy to end up with this Preference checked because I believe Bridge asks you if you'd like to set this preference for faster launch on the first launch. For the purposes of testing your workflow, I'd make sure this is unchecked and then close Bridge and restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

• 16. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Chad,

Great explanation, and hope that it helps the OP understand the behavoir better.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 17. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                          expainter

I honestly cannot recommend Classroom in a Book. Having copied all the files on the DVD into the recommended folder, I found that I was unable to access any content in the folders for each lesson.  When I clicked on Lesson 01, PP opened with a bunch of templates and large graphics in the two monitors stating that I was offline. After two hours of frustration trying to open the first lesson, I gave up. I am going to sign up for lessons at Linda.com

• 18. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                            jeremy d. Level 3

expainter wrote:

I honestly cannot recommend Classroom in a Book. Having copied all the files on the DVD into the recommended folder, I found that I was unable to access any content in the folders for each lesson.  When I clicked on Lesson 01, PP opened with a bunch of templates and large graphics in the two monitors stating that I was offline. After two hours of frustration trying to open the first lesson, I gave up. I am going to sign up for lessons at Linda.com

There is a folder called "Assets" on the DVD, look in there.

• 19. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The intro for CiaB goes into detail on how to Copy the Assets (X-platform instructions), and that was possibly overlooked. The full set of instructions should be followed to the letter, and no more Media Offline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

For learning PrPro, I can also highly recommend Lynda.com. I've never checked out CiaB, so I can't speak to it, but Lynda will start you at the very beginning and not assume anything. It's a great tutorial website, and covers hundreds of software titles, not just Adobe stuff--great value for the cost!

• 21. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                                  expainter Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, David. I've taken a look at a few of their free videos and really like what I see. Seems like the way to go!

Ann

• 22. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Both Lynda.com and Total Training tutorial videos get high marks around here.

Good luck and happy learning,

Hunt

• 23. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                                      expainter Level 1

Thanks, Hunt. Maybe I should go for the Total Training. I often read good things about that, too.  By the way, I'm doing better now. I read CiaB right through so I'm more familiar with some of the terminology.  I've been doing Photoshop for 10 years so I hadn't quite expected the steep learning curve with Premiere Pro.

ASnn

• 24. Re: basic basics of PP and its hijacking Bridge
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The "terminology" is highly important, and really comes in handy with the Help Files too.

Glad that CiaB was useful to you - I really love that series, and even keep my old editions for reference - however, I am an avowed "book person."

Good luck,

Hunt