17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2011 3:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Trail version does not recognize mts files

Bonjelooser

Hi, I am trying out Premiere, but importing AVCHD files, with extension .mts, is not possible. It does not accept them. Is this typical for the trial version?

I had the chat folks on the line but they referred me to a support location that again referred me to the same chat box.

• 1. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
          Bonjelooser Level 1

It looks like the AVCHD import is disabled in the trial version.

But anyway, I don't like Premiere, so I removed it. It also installed Growl

without asking me!

So thanks folks, good luck and it's goodbye from me.

• 2. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The trial download page clearly states what is NOT in the trial

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_pro&promoid=EBYEY

I have never heard of "growl" - yours is the 1st mention of whatever that is

Good luck with the product you finally select

• 3. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As John T. points out, there are limitations (due to licensing issues) in the trial.

As Adobe offers a 100% 30-day money-back guarantee, one can use the 30-day trial for some testing (just not MPEG), and then buy the full-paid version, with zero limitations, use it for 30 days, and then return it, if not 100% satisfied. That will give 30 days, or limited testing, and then 29 days (make sure to return it BEFORE 30 days!) of unlimited testing.Note" the only way to test-drive Encore, is with that latter purchase-return method.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                Bonjelooser Level 1

Yes, my mistake. I was so busy today that I took it to mean that AVCHD was supported, which it is, but not in the trial version. My purpose was to try importing an old mts file and see how much less space it took on my disk. Premiere is one of the few apps that is able to handle the original AVCHD files. My Final Cut Express and the present FCStudio as well converts it to a much bigger file. But anyway, I think I'm going to wait for the upcoming Final Cut Studio version. Who knows, it may handle these original files without having to convert them first. Touch wood.

And Growl is probably a typical mac only app. It was installed together with the premiere stuff without noticing me.

Thanks and good luck.

• 5. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                  Bonjelooser Level 1

Thanks, Hunt. But my purpose was to try out the AVCHD handling in Premiere.

• 6. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The ability for the full-paid version to work with the files natively is a big plus. Unfortunately, the trial will not let you experience this. That's why I mentioned the unrestricted testing in the full-paid version, with that "30-day, money-back guarantee," as a perk.

Good luck, and I think that you will like how the program (the full-paid version) handles AVCHD. Note: your CPU does need to be quite fast, or you will likely never get smooth playback. A fast i7 is highly recommended.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                      Bonjelooser Level 1

Thanks. I had already removed it. Installing Premiere also installed Akamai, which asked permission to access my computer but without further explanation. Another strange thing. There is no need for that.

• 9. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                        Bonjelooser Level 1

Well, that is not really a neat solution. They could simply have put a caption 'trial version' on anything you produced with it. They should have realized that this capability to handle original AVCHD would be the main attraction for some customers, especially mac users, who might want to try this out first before buying.

My iMac has an Intel Core i3, 3,2 GHz, 5.86 GT/s. I guess that's fine for Premiere.

• 10. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, Adobe could not put a "trial version" insert into the video

Back at the download page it says the restrictions are due to licensing... which means that Adobe has to pay for every install that has full functions... and they are NOT going to pay a license fee for a trial that may not be converted to a sale

>My iMac has an Intel Core i3, 3,2 GHz, 5.86 GT/s. I guess that's fine for Premiere

For AVCHD... that is not at all fine... you need a fast i7 and at least 2 hard drives (3 is better) to edit AVCHD without problems

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed

For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                          1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
                          2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
                          3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

• 11. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                            Bonjelooser Level 1

It's those silly things like 'licensing' that put me off. And it's not only this. Small things matter. I guess as a mac user I am spoilt for userfriendliness and used to plain common sense.

As far as processor is concerned, I am now working without any problem whatsoever with AVCHD files which are automatically converted in Final Cut Express, and my external firewire drives have all the files and movies that I work on. Though due to the much larger size of my files (converted from mts) I need 2TB drives. Everything is as smooth as whatever. DVD creation and burning is no problem.

I am looking for an editing app that gives me more possibilites as far as colour processing is concerned and titling. And it's a pity I can't try out Premiere to see how it performs with the original files. If you need less storage space, that is always a good thing.

• 12. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

That is the Adobe Autio Updater.

Many do not feel comfortable with it, and will do things in a totally manual way. I've never had issues, but then maybe I have just been lucky. I can neither recommed for, or against it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - glad that you understood Craig's "Growl" post, as I was left scratching my head. Makes more sense now.

• 13. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                They could simply have put a caption 'trial version' on anything you produced with it.

Well, that is being considered, but I have not heard of any implementation.

Now, PrElements does just that, though there are some modules now, that cannot be activated, until one pays and plugs in the S/N, but you should hear the people in that forum scream. They hate the watermark. There are 3 active posts there, on just that subject. I am surprised that their wails have not been heard over here. You would think that they had been jabbed in the eye with a sharp stick.

Personally, I think that a watermark would be the way to go, but as mentioned above, even with one, there are elements of PrE, that are also crippled (just less so than with PrPro), and this is due to Adobe paying licensing fees for some modules. Exactly how those are handled will depend on who holds the license. In PrE, Adobe is not charged, until the user activates the module (seamless and transparent, but can only happen with the paid version), and then Adobe writes a check. My guess is that the activation does several things, like the obvious activation, but also drops a bean into a jar somewhere, so that Adobe knows how big the check is.

I still think that the 30-day, money-back guarantee is a real positive deal. Not that many software companies offer that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                                  Bonjelooser Level 1

Thanks, Hunt. I may wait for the new version of Final Cut Pro (Studio) and see what's new there. Just suppose it could handle mts files without having to convert them to six times their size. I could use its great audio editing app that is included with it. FCExpress does a good job, but Pro has more ready-made filters to eliminate unwanted sounds.

During the brief moment I had Premiere installed it seemed quite similar to FCExpress, and importing movies was no problem. But these were the big converted mts files.

• 15. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere also installed Akamai

That's why I buy the disk.  Akamai has been one of the largest servers of advertising, spam and malware ever to exist on the Internet.  It's so bad that after Microsoft started using them for it's patches a few years ago, they had to stop soon after because so many security software programs simply block any Akamai servers by default.

Even if Akamai has cleaned things up the past few years, Adobe should follow suit on principle alone.  Akamai needs to die as a company for what they did.

• 16. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                                      Bonjelooser Level 1

Way back in my Windows times, I remember encountering the name quite often. The firm collects information from customers' computers and probably sells it.

• 17. Re: Trail version does not recognize mts files
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I cannot comment on exactly how it works, but can say that many around these parts, are less than fans.

Good luck,

Hunt