6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2011 6:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Video file from Kodak Zi8 won't import into PE 8

michaelmullin

I’m stumped – I have a Sony Vaio running Win 7 Professional 64 Bit, Intel i5 – 2.53 GHz, with 4 GB of RAM.

I’m filming with a Kodak Zi8, and used 720p/60fps setting when filming.  Then I used Windows Explorer to move file from camera to hard drive (have not used Kodak’s bundled software).  Opened New Project in Premier Elements 8 and that’s where the questions start.

What Project preset setting do I select?  The one I tried was NTSC 720p 30.  From Premier dashboard I selected File>Get Media> and selected the saved .mov file from the Kodak camera.  Resulting error message was “This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.”

I’ve spent a couple of hours reviewing various posts and suggestions in this forum by Steve Grisetti, Bill Hunt, and nealeh but none of the suggestions seem to get me past the very first step – what project settings to select?

To save some back and forth I thought I’d ask some other questions at the same time:

1.    Should I use Kodak’s built in software to download to computer or just use File Explorer to move?

2.    It appears as though I need to do some file conversion of the Kodak files prior to using in Premier. Do you suggest using Premier 8 to do this conversion or a 3rd party solution?

3.       Upon launching Premier - “Background rendering has been disabled. To turn it back on go to Edit>Preferences>General.”  Should this be disabled or should I turn it back on?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I can ususally work through these software issues and I'll bet it's just going to take one small change in settings or one file conversion to make this run smoothly.