12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2011 6:16 AM by Steve Grisetti

Basics of DVD Authoring

Curt Y Level 6

I have never made a DVD with menu, chapters, and subchapters.   Have about 30 short 1 min. vidoes and 5 charts,  that are grouped in 6 headings with about 5 videos under each heading.  I want a button for user to click on to play each video or bring up a chart.  End results needs to be simple as main audiance will be grade schools.

Considering buying Premier Elements to do this.  Can someone tell me if I have the correct phraseology, and Premier Elements with do this as shown below?

Vuax Swift Video  (Ttile?)

Exits  (chapter 1?)

Slow Exit (subchapter 1?)

Crow Terror  (subchapter 2?)

Entrances (chapter 2?)

Huge Entrance  (subchapter?)

Delayed Entrance   (subchapter?)

and so forth for rest of headings and subheadings.

• 2. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

Because of the limited, semi-automatic authoring (the process of establishing the navigation of a DVD with/without Menus), I believe that given your proposed flowchart, I would do the video editing in PrE, BUT then look to another program for the actual authoring. One program to look at would be Sony's DVD Architect, as it is much more full-featured. PrE's authoring is basically for creating a simple DVD with just direct Chapters, though it does make such authoring easy for the user.

When one needs the sub-Chapters, and more intricate navigation, PrE comes up short (though it'll stll do the video editing very nicely).

I use another Adobe program, Encore, but that is now only available with PrPro, which would be expensive overkill for this. Once, it was a stand-alone, and one of the best authoring programs, that a person could buy. It's still great, but let's just say that it comes with a US$700 add-on - PrPro...

Now, I am not an expert with DVD Architect, but our MOD here, Steve Grisetti, has written several books on that program, and many others here also use it. Let's let them weigh in, as they will KNOW whether DVD Architect can do the same stuff, that my Encore can. So long as it is capable, and I think that it is, I'd be glad to give you tips on the structure and even do a mockup Flowchart (in Encore), to give you tips.

As for working with Video and stills, here are a few tips:

• Your Project Preset should match your Video files 100%.
          • Though you are going to DVD, which is very specific, i.e. 720 x 480 for NTSC, ro 720 x 576 for PAL w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV (or DD AC3) Audio.
          • As you have Video, and it will direct your Project Preset choice, you WILL want to Scale all of your still images in PS. This ARTICLE will give you tips and details.
          • With your outlined requirements, I would consider doing each sub-Chapter as a separate Project. In PrPro, I would do each as a separate Sequence, which is like mini-Projects. Then, I would Export each for my authoring program. In the case of Encore, I would have one each DV-AVI file w/ Video-only, and one each PCM/WAV (or DD AC3) Audio-only file, and create an Encore Timeline for each of the DV-AVI files. Wait to hear from the DVD Architects, before locking in on this workflow, as they might have better ideas for you.

Nice to see you in the PrE forum - lot of great folk here.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may also want to check out my free Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

Lesson 7 deals specifically with authoring DVDs and BluRays.

• 4. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Steve,

Based on Curt's layout and navigational needs, don't you think that DVD Architect can handle that easily?

Glad that you stopped by this thread, as you ARE the expert on that program.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring

Yes, DVD Architect Studio (at $39) is definitely an option, if you're looking for a more in-depth DVD/BluRay authoring program that excellently supplements Premiere Elements.

I also have some Basic Training tutorials for it on Muvipix.com. Just type DVD Architect in the product search box. They'll give you an idea of how the program functions and what it can do.

• 6. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring
                  Curt Y Level 6

Bill,

Thanks for the  indepth answer.  I did read the review for Sony DVD Architect and it said it has the best options for menu creation.  The one put down is that it says the program has a steep learning curve.  Fairly inexpensive at $44 also.

Since my videos are already made I am kind of leaning that way.  Hate to stick the non-profit with any more costs than I have to.  From your description if I bought PrE I would still need Sony DVD to get the menu structure.

• 7. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring
                    Curt Y Level 6

Looks like both you and Bill are steering me towards the Sony DVD program.  Will look at your training tutorinal and perhaps that will lower the steep learning curve some say it has.

• 8. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

I was not aware (probably did not read carefully enough) that the Videos were done already.

In that case, I would not get PrE into the mix, unless you need to re-edit. Then it would be useful.

Predicated on Steve's comments, I think that DVD Architect would be the way to go. Along with the program, I strongly recommend that you also pick up a copy of his DVD Architect book form Muvipix. That will definitely flatten the "learning curve" greatly. I have read several of his other books, and though I use Encore for all of my authoring, I need to pick up a copy of DVD Architect, just to learn what that program is capable of, and how to help more with questions, like yours. Different authoring programs require that one feed them slightly differently, and also have some differences in things like Menus. As I like to create mine in PS, I have not even looked closely at DVD Architect.

Once one has the concept of DVD authoring down, and then learns the controls and their location, in the authoring program, it is plain simple. It's getting to that point, that might take a bit of reading.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring

At $39 for the download directly from the site, the program is definitely the best investment your non-profit could ever make.

They probably spend more on a business lunch!

• 10. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

You modest devil you. Don't forget a copy of your book too!

Hunt

• 11. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring
                            nealeh Level 5

To answer your original question specifically PRE cannot do what you want. I am also one of those who switched to DVD Architect and pleased that I did so.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Basics of DVD Authoring

Oh yeah. The book costs about as much as a round of donuts for the office!