4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2011 3:00 PM by shooternz

Lagging video playback with 2 layers

gold987987987 Level 1

Here's my problem.  If I have a clip in video layer 1 it plays back fine.  However, if I have a clip on top of it in layer 2, playback studders and lags to the point where I can't watch my edit properly.  We're talking about the video completely hanging and then jumping a couple seconds and never fully catching up.  Meanwhile, the audio is playing back perfectly never missing a beat.  It's like my system can't keep up.

Here's what really bothers me....this never happened before.  There have been no changes to my system.  I've been editing the same project and same files for months now and this just started to happen.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

My system:

Q6600 OC'd to 3.1GHz  (I know it's an older processor but it's been screaming through this same media for years without problems)

8G RAM DDR2

470GTX 1.28GB  (CUDA enabled)

All drives are 7200rpm Sata2. 1TB

D1:  OS and CS5

D2:  Project file and media/assets

D3:  Scratch (Video/Audio previews)

D4:  Export and Pagefile (pagefile set to 8GB)

D5:  Backup

Media being edited: 5D and 7D files (h.264)

By the way.  I tried the same thing with the Mercury Playback GPU Engine(CUDA) turned off and the lagging was worse.  CUDA seems to help, but it's nothing as smooth as a couple months ago.  I could put 4 streams with effects on the timeline and it would play like butter.

• 1. Re: Lagging video playback with 2 layers
          shooternz Level 6

Maybe you could ..

Delete the render files which may have accumulated to massive amounts

Start a new project and import the old one into it.

Defrag and tidy up the drives.

Minimise project assets

• 2. Re: Lagging video playback with 2 layers
            gold987987987 Level 1

Maybe you could ..

Delete the render files which may have accumulated to massive amounts

Tried that...saw no difference in playback.

Project is massive.  Hundreds of assets.  250GB easy.  Don't feel comfortable trying that....maybe as a last resort.

Defrag and tidy up the drives.

Drives are defragged and tidy.

Minimize project assets

Don't want to do that as I need them all.  Also, the project worked fine for months as is.  For some reason now it's starting to act up.

Thanks for the suggestions though...any other ideas?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Lagging video playback with 2 layers
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Q6600 OC'd to 3.1GHz  (I know it's an older processor but it's been screaming through this same media for years without problems)

Still, there is a good chance that such is the cause of your issues.   It's not just about GHz anymore.  An i7 950 or i7 2500K is probably a good minimum for your media.

You should seriously consider an upgrade.

• 4. Re: Lagging video playback with 2 layers
                shooternz Level 6

Project is massive.  Hundreds of assets.  250GB easy.  Don't feel comfortable trying that....maybe as a last resort.

Starting a new Project is simple and it does not matter how many assets you have.  A Project is simply a file set of instructions that points to the assets.

It does not destroy your assets or your previous project (as long as you give it a different name)

The reason for doing it is because occasionally, Projects get corrupted. (especially in your situation with loads of assets)