8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2011 12:21 PM by the_wine_snob

Automated Keyframe setting

kdoc2 Level 1

I note from the Help menue that using automated keyframes (in the Audio Mixer--the "Write and Latch" settngs with the sliders), that the large numbers of keyframes used may degrade performance. While I haven't seen any problems, what is your experience. Does that problem speak against using them?

I've now set the "Minimum" to 500 ms. Any suggestions in the Preference settings to minimize this problem, if it is one?

kdoc

• 1. Re: Automated Keyframe setting
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kdoc,

That is correct. First, these are Track Keyframes, and they differ from the Audio Clip Keyframes, as they are associated with the Audio Track, regardless of what might be on that/those Track(s).

I find that the frequency is much too high, regarding the Track Keyframes, and have dropped my Edit>Preferences down by about 25% from default.

I find that I do not need the precison of the default. While I have never noticed a degrading in performance, I just have never found the need for that precision.

Good luck, and remember that is only my personal feeling,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Automated Keyframe setting
            kdoc2 Level 1

It seems to be acting very quirky now: Starting on "Write" it may work for one lowering of volume, but not a second time on the same clip. And it won't go lower, than normal volume, then back to lower. And it won't give a volume greater than the baseline? Has this been a problem with others? I start with Write and then set to read???

kdoc

• 3. Re: Automated Keyframe setting
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kdoc,

I have not observed what it sounds like you are saying, but then I have not installed CS5 yet, so maybe there's something that is version-specific?

Now, Write will do just that - it will Write the setting of the Slider to Track Keyframes, and should overwrite any existing Track Keyframes.

If one wants to automate, say part of a Track, and have the slider return automatically to the original setting, Touch will do that. As long as you hold the slider with the mouse, it will be recording the Track Keyframes, but when you let it go, it will return to the original Level.

As for not being able to go above, or below the baseline (original setting), that has not been something that I have observed in earlier versions.

Maybe I am just missing your description of what is happening, and if so, I apologize.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Remember, the Audio Mixer is NOT applying Clip Keyframes, but only Track Keyframes. To see what is being applied at the Track-level, one can toggle the Audio Track Keyframe Display between Clip Keyframes and Track Keyframes. With Track Keyframes, they will remain, even if you swap out Clips, or even if you Delete the Clips, though with no Audio Clips on the Track at that point, their adjustments will not be heard, but if you watch the Audio Mixer, you will still see the slider for that Track moving.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Automated Keyframe setting
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Kdoc,

I do not think that I posted the link to this ARTICLE, but there might be something that helps you in it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Automated Keyframe setting
                  kdoc2 Level 1

Thanks Hunt,

I'm convinced the Automation is malfunctioning in my CS5 version. I'll report it. But explain to me please, Why would I want to run a track keyframe instead of a clip one? What is it's use, vs. the other? I had thought it was the easiest way to do this, but I see that the slider in the Effects Panel works just as easy, so I'm going over to it.

How do I delete all the track keyframes in a given location if I wish to?

And can you explain when to use auto bezier, continuous bezier, etc.?

And finally, for now, I don't understand how to work with "velocity" and that +/- 1.0 scale, (also the 6.0 and oo) found in the Volume part of Effects. Should I be fiddling with these?

The article you lead me to WAS helpful, thanks.

kdoc

• 6. Re: Automated Keyframe setting
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The application of Track Keyframes to automate parameters in the Audio Mixer can be very useful, as you can also Pan the Audio, or if working in a 5.1 Master, locate the sound source, either statically, or dynamically around the sound stage. Track Keyframes can be very useful for setting Levels, where you wish them to influence the Audio, even if you might later replace those particular Clips. Say that you are using early reference Audio files, and need to set Levels now, but will later be replacing the reference Clips with the final from the Audio side of the production. Those Track Keyframes remain, in the same position, regardless of what the Clip is.

As for removing Track Keyframes, I'd go to Audio Mixer, set the Send to Write, and then hit Play, setting the slider to the desired new Level, and let it write new Track Keyframes throughout. Do not know if CS5 has added the ability to Lasso all Track Keyframes and Delete them? Probably another user will be able to fill in other methods.

For Velocity, that subject could fill a book. The Help Files will be useful to get a running start, and then the Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Press, goes into more detail on Velocity settings. I'd also bet that Todd, or another, can link to a tutorial on the Velocity settings, but I do not have one handy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Automated Keyframe setting
                      kdoc2 Level 1

Thanks for all your continuing help, Hunt.

kdoc

• 8. Re: Automated Keyframe setting
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. Hope that something helped.

Good luck,

Hunt