4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 10:04 AM by Crist OC/PC

looking to build a pc to use premiere pro cs5

cary3

i'm looking to have a pc built so that i can use to edit in premiere pro cs5.  here are some specs i received.  i wanted to post these to see what folks thought.

MOTHERBOARD - GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 Socket AM3/ AMD 790X/ SATA3

PROCESSOR - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo

MEMORY - C628-9X Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8G(2x4G) DDR3 160

SSD DRIVE - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE90 2.5" 90GB SATA II

HARD DRIVE - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS SATA 1TB 72

VIDEO CARD - EVGA GeForce GTX470 1280MB SuperClocked 625Mhz

POWER SUPPLY - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650 Watt ATX12V Power Supply

OS - Microsoft GFC-00599 Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit

BLU-RAY BURNER - Pioneer BDR-206BK 12X Blu-ray Writer SATA Black

after reading different posts, it sounded like having a system built from scratch was better than buying an off the shelf computer.  my plan was to store the os and applications on the ssd drive.  is a third HD preferred?  more memory?  i am using sony's HDR-CX350 AVCHD camera. 

from reading posts in the forums, there are a lot of experience folks out there.  appreciate hearing from you!  thanks! 

• 1. Re: looking to build a pc to use premiere pro cs5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I suggest you start by reading the list of articles that appear when you press the overview tab at the top of the page.

Instead of spending money on an SSD, use the savings from a conventional 7200 SATA disk to get an Intel i7-9xx instead of AMD. Your PSU is pretty weak with a GTX 470, 850 W seems much better. Increase memory to 12 GB (3 x 4GB) and add a third disk. Use Win7 64 Pro instead of Home.

AMD is too slow for AVCHD because of the lacking SSE4.1+ instructions. Look at the PPBM5 Benchmark to see how AMD's do in comparison to Intel.

Look at some posts here to see what a decent system is.

• 2. Re: looking to build a pc to use premiere pro cs5
            Crist OC/PC Level 2

I just want to add, that you should buy a BIG TOWER case whit good fans system like Coolermaster big towers and very good CPU cooler." Prolimatech Megahalems, Noctua, Termalright....

this can make  diference of 25% more speed if you make a very simple O.C.

On the forum is a guide to Overclock, very easy to understand.

Harm can give you the link for it.

B.R.

Cristobal

• 3. Re: looking to build a pc to use premiere pro cs5
              cary3 Level 1

thank you for the feedback harm and cristobal.  i'll search the forums for some specs that will fit my needs and budget.  the original specs i got were from the guy at the store after reviewing the system requirements and trying to keep cost down.  i'm all for spending a little more to get a decent system that i can work with.  i'm glad that i posted this (first time user) to the community that has the working knowledge of what is best.  thank you again.

• 4. Re: looking to build a pc to use premiere pro cs5
                Crist OC/PC Level 2

You can mark your question as replayed. =)

You are very welcome.

B.R.