28 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 3:00 AM by areohbee

Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.

areohbee Level 5

It just occurred to me that a better way to have done DevAdjust (relative develop adjustments and presets), which suffers from lack of non-modal accessibility, would have been to create an application which presents the UI and talks to a background task in a plugin (via file IO), to apply the develop settings. In fact, many plugins could benefit from a distributed design, off-loading to real apps the things that they are best at e.g. non-modal UI, and interfacing to plugins to do the dirty work, e.g. writing the catalog.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what would be the best platform for such an app these days. Flash/Flex/AIR?, Java?, dotNet?, Silverlight?, wxWidgets?, Qt?, Eclipse RCP?, ZooLib?, ...

I'm starting to favor wxWidgets with a wxLua binding for a plugin's app counterpart, here's an example app:

frame = wx.wxFrame(wx.NULL, wx.wxID_ANY, "wxLua Minimal Demo",
                         wx.wxDefaultPosition, wx.wxSize(450, 450),
                         wx.wxDEFAULT_FRAME_STYLE)

-- create a simple file menu
      local fileMenu = wx.wxMenu()
      fileMenu:Append(wx.wxID_EXIT, "E&xit", "Quit the program")
      -- create a simple help menu
      local helpMenu = wx.wxMenu()
      helpMenu:Append(wx.wxID_ABOUT, "&About",
                      "About the wxLua Minimal Application")

-- create a menu bar and append the file and help menus
      local menuBar = wx.wxMenuBar()
      menuBar:Append(fileMenu, "&File")
      menuBar:Append(helpMenu, "&Help")
      -- attach the menu bar into the frame
      frame:SetMenuBar(menuBar)

-- create a simple status bar
      frame:CreateStatusBar(1)
      frame:SetStatusText("Welcome to wxLua.")

-- connect the selection event of the exit menu item to an
      -- event handler that closes the window
      frame:Connect(wx.wxID_EXIT, wx.wxEVT_COMMAND_MENU_SELECTED,
                    function (event) frame:Close(true) end )
      -- connect the selection event of the about menu item
      frame:Connect(wx.wxID_ABOUT, wx.wxEVT_COMMAND_MENU_SELECTED,
              function (event)
                  wx.wxMessageBox('This is the "About" dialog of the Minimal wxLua sample.',
                                  "About wxLua",
                                  wx.wxOK + wx.wxICON_INFORMATION,
                                  frame)
              end )

-- finally, show the frame window
      frame:Show(true)

-------------------------

PS - I downloaded wxLua and had this little app up and running in seconds. Its kinda bare-bones/simple&easy, but seems to work well, and there's gotta be some advantages in using the same language for the app as the plugin. On the other hand, Python has more code libraries readily available to support app dev. Anyway, it seems to make more sense to me these days to use a scripting language with cross-platform native UI support for desktop app dev than a traditional programming language like C++/C# or Java, and it seems to make more sense to use a true OS app rather than Flex or Silverlight which are more oriented toward graphics and internet deployment. Not sure what ZooLib would do, and Qt looks nice but contrary to what I read in one place, its expensive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

• 1. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
          AlanUniqueName Level 2

Hi Rob,

This concept sounds like a great idea and very worthy of exploring. I might be interested / motivated in developing some kind of App outside of the LR box which talks to a process inside LR - this concept opens up the possibility of creating new "Sidekick", as opposed to "Plugin" functionality in any language and not be constrained by being inside a Lua sand box of sorts - it might open up all sorts of powerful possibilities to anyone with imagination.

It may even be possible over time to build up a technology/language independent “SideKick” API to LR of sorts.   However, it is possible that this kind of behaviour may be frowned on – especially the permanently running internal process bit.

I'm guessing you are right that using file IO between the SideKick and LR might be workable, but possibly inefficient. I was wondering if some sort of Web based communication might also be possible. Clearly I've not been motivated enough to learn Lua and the LR SDK so I effectively know nothing, but it seems to me that LR / Lua already communicates with the Flickr API and this effectively constitutes another form of communication out of the box There may be other forms of communication?

One motivation would be to fix the seriously broken LR Flickr publishing and perhaps go a step beyond.    In terms of the language / tech for the Sidekick … the best tool for the job is the obvious answer… but that’s one of the inherent beauties of your suggestion.   For me is would be C# and Silverlight … but I would only do something for personal / Windows use.   I guess plugin writers will naturally gravitate towards cross platform tech.

I’ll keep in touch to see how you get on and PM you a question later about what might be possible.

Alan.

• 2. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
            areohbee Level 5

HI Alan,

Yeah - you kinda got me goin' on this one...

There are already plenty of plugin authors including background tasks with their plugins, so unless Adobe yanks that capability in Lr4, frowning wont be enough to stop it...

File IO would be inefficient but probably fine for a lot of apps, but its entirely possible to toss a tiny web server in with the app and use http. The only connections to the outside world that I know of are ftp, http, and files, actualy, one could also count the command-line, since its possible to communicate be calling a command and passing it a string,  so if files didnt cut it, then I guess http would be next in line.

Anyway, I got a wxPython app up and running, complete with a packagable (self-contained) .exe file, and I think it would be easy to also create the .app package for Mac.

So this technology/language independent sidekick API - not sure what that would look like.

Personally, I was toying with just splitting functions between app and plugin, case-by-case, as opposed to a reusable API.

What would be some example functions in this API, and a use case...?

PS - I just noticed Python has an XmlRpcServer library, and my newer plugins have XmlRpcClient functions built in. This would be one way for them to communicate...

Talk to ya later,

Rob

• 3. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
              AlanUniqueName Level 2

Hi Rob,

I'll try to put some rough thought together later tonight (French time) or tomorrow and might PM you as my response is likely to be long winded - unless you specifically want it public for debate.

Alan

• 4. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                areohbee Level 5

Hi Alan,

I look forward to hearing from you - via PM or Forum - your call...

Rob

• 5. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                  areohbee Level 5

I must say after reviewing the add-ons for Lua, I'm not sure there is anything you can do with a Python app that you cant do with a Lua app:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/LibrariesAndBindings

I don't know about the relative quality of the various implementations though...

• 6. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                    DFBurns Level 1

I'm not sure where this could go but at the least it's a fun mental exercise.

Right now, Lr can read and write via HTTP, FTP, and file. Other than responsiveness, I can't see where the complexity of embedding a local web-server or ftp server in an external app is justified though. One could design a file polling scheme with dynamic polling intervals in order to balance communication latency with the need to not put undue load on Lr.

I started out thinking that one could design a server-like command interface within an Lr plugin and then 'sidekick' (I like the term) apps would have to comply with that. That seems like a pain though to maintain and it's an arbitrarily artifical layer. It occurs to me though that if Lr can read a file then (security aside for now) why can't sidekick apps just generate Lua dynamically that a general purpose Lr plugin (aka sidekick server) reads and executes? So, every X seconds, rather than "fetch" a command and some arguments, it fetches a file. Can 'require' take a dynamic file name? Hmmm...

Also, I think with a general purpose communication mechanism devised, the language/platform for the sidekick app is moot. Use whatever you like as long as it can write a Lua file.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

• 7. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                      DFBurns Level 1

Or use some combo of dofile, loadfile, or loadstring: http://www.lua.org/pil/8.html

• 8. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                        areohbee Level 5

This is starting to feel like a solution searching for a problem...

I mean, I dont have a good feel for what to do with a general API or plugin-as-server command interface...

The first use case for me would be DevAdjust, so it could be kept at the ready instead of being a modal plugin dialog box.

In this case it could be as simple as:

Plugin: "Got any dev settings to apply?"

App: "Nope"

or

Plugin: "Got any dev settings to apply?"

App: "Yep: Exposure up .1, Brightness down -10..."

And, whether this communication was via XmlRpc or via a lua file to be read and/or executed... wouldnt much matter in this case.

PS - I dont think XmlRpc is too complicated, once the basic endpoint services are implemented that is, and since Python and Lua already have XmlRpc implementations for the app side (as do C# & Silverlight no doubt...), its pretty easy to use once its set up. Granted, plugins would need to implement it, but there is source code available which does it.

• 9. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                          DawMatt Level 3

Hi Rob,

Interesting question.

For your initial purpose this seems like a lot of effort to work around the modal only dialog limitation provided of the current SDK.  Longer term we can hope a non-modal option will be provided but I wouldn't hold my breath. I suspect this is a UI design choice and providing this as an SDK function option would undermine it.  Other plugins might benefit more from separating the code for the UI and underlying functionality but in general I'd hope people don't go to this much effort purely to work around a UI SDK limitiation.

re Cross platform UI framework.  I've used straight wxWidgets via C++ a while back.  It did what we needed it to and ran OK on Windows and Mac so it sounds like a reasonable approach.  And if using wxLua can reduce the learning curve for sidekick development then so much the better.  Picking up something new like Flex, Silverlight, etc would mean retooling as well as significant learning curves and could prove a barrier to adoption.

Personally I'd prefer not to use a file based communications mechanism for IPC but it should be possible.  LightroomTether (the plugin from Mountain Storm that pre-dated Lightroom 3) used UNIX pipes to communicate, but only ran on Mac.  I've used generated scripts when passing instructions from Lightroom to Photoshop Elements.  It can work as long as you are careful about file locking and atomic reads/writes to ensure messages being passed don't accidentally get lost.  Generating lua scripts is also possible but it would seem cleaner to pass messages between the two components rather than having one blindly execute scripts generated by the other.  That approach requires the two components to be very tightly coupled - not ideal.

Matt

• 10. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                            areohbee Level 5

HI Matt,

DawMatt wrote:

For your initial purpose this seems like a lot of effort to work around the modal only dialog limitation provided of the current SDK.

Not much more work, really. I mean DevAdjust is 95% UI, & 5% guts (not even that much), and none of the UI is really dependent on Lightroom. I actually really like the LIghtroom UI capabilities in general: simple & easy to use, layout works well, ... But for an app like DevAdjust, the modal nature of it is no small deal. On the contrary, its a big deal. So big in fact that its a deal breaker for most people. In my mind, the biggest part of extra work would have come from having to re-release on two different platforms every bug fix.

DevAdjust, fully loaded, takes several seconds to come up, then blocks Lightroom while its up. One can skinny it down and then it only takes a few seconds, but imagine if you had to wait a few seconds every time you switched from the basic develop section to the tone curve or between any other two develop sections... - that would suck.

People want relative presets and adjustments ever-ready, so they can hit it without waiting and alternate between that and other tools... It would be a fair amount of work for me to port it from plugin to app at this point, but if I had it to do over again, I would certainly do it that way. And, I may still do that port - we'll see.

It would not surprise me either if Lr4 still does not have non-modal UI - I'm guessing it would have fairly far-reaching implications, and I'm sure Adobe considered it carefully way back when they decided against it. I hope I'm wrong and Adobe surprises me...

Once again, I'm not (yet) trying to invent anything reusable here, except for maybe a general mechanism for communication. And even with that, there is nothing to stop one app from sharing files with their plugin while another uses XmlRpc or whatever... But, I am on the edge of my seat to see what ideas Alan & others come up with ;-}

R

• 11. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                              areohbee Level 5

XmlRpc is a really nice way to have interprocess communication between a plugin and a Python app. This python server app implements the check for newer version compatibly for plugins that use the Elare Plugin Framework (tested - works):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

from SimpleXMLRPCServer import SimpleXMLRPCServer
                              from SimpleXMLRPCServer import SimpleXMLRPCRequestHandler

# Restrict to a particular path.
                              class RequestHandler(SimpleXMLRPCRequestHandler):
                                  rpc_paths = ('/RPC2',)

# Create server
                              server = SimpleXMLRPCServer(("localhost", 8000),
                                                          requestHandler=RequestHandler)
                              # Register an instance; all the methods of the instance are
                              # published as XML-RPC methods (in this case, just 'updateCheck').
                              class MyFuncs:
                                  def updateCheck(self, id):
                                      if id == "com.robcole.Scratch":
                                          return ("0.1", "file:///C:/") # return mandatory latest version number and optional download url.
                                      # else generate a "cannot marshal 'none'" fault for now...

server.register_instance(MyFuncs())

# Run the server's main loop
                              server.serve_forever()

-----------------------------

on client side (plugin) it is called via:

local xmlRpc = XmlRpc:new{ url = "http://localhost:8000/RPC2" } -- just do once during init.

local status, xml, values = xmlRpc:sendAndReceive( "updateCheck", { { type='string', value=_PLUGIN.id } }, 5 ) -- 5 sec tmo.

-- process status & values... (entire text of xml response returned just for debug)

In my opinion, that is pretty simple.

Rob

• 12. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                AlanUniqueName Level 2

Hi Rob,

Warned you it would be long winded!    Just brainstorming right?

Firstly your PM indicates that Lua + LR SDK would have difficulty in serving up to an external sidekick app - thumbnails, previews and rendered images of the photos.   If this is the case, then my interest is practically extinguished as this would not support the kind of advanced things I could envisage and be interested in.      However, for the sake of continued off the wall brainstorming and throwing in my two pence, I’ll assume that this could be overcome.

I think the power of your suggestion is that it would enable almost full blown “mini applications” to sit alongside LR (A Sidekick) complete with their own rich UI and possibly ease leveraging other technologies and interfaces such as high end UI experience, other APIs, other systems, databases, alternate peripherals, high power compute hardware etc where inside a Lua Plugin design environment this might prove impossible, difficult or not sensible – I cannot comment on this latter aspect.    

Understandably you have your own motivations which seem to be around the modal / non-modal issues for a plugin – I understand, but personally this does not interest me half as much as the “what if” around the Sidekick concept.

The point made that it would be possible to send generated Lua script down a communication path of some sort is very interesting, and given that, I could see it as the way to go, as defining a proper Sidekick API is probably never going to happen and could ultimately end in a mess.     I take the other point about coupling though.   A script based approach would in concept (detail TBD) also need to incorporate proper handshaking and error handling with the external app.     I’m actually not worried as long as an efficient and robust language and technology agnostic communication path is opened.   It is the “what if” concept of this that interests.       I think ideally LR itself would make such a communication port available, but in the absence of that, then a plugin to provide it - ideally non file (disk) based comms for efficiency.   Pipes were also mentioned.

Again I point out that I know nothing of Lua or the LR SDK… I’m simply interested at concept level.  

As an aside it also broadens the developer community to those who want to do bigger and more off the wall things and can work with the tools and knowledge they have which may not be Lua – i.e. C++, Python, Visual Basic, C# .net whatever and just make a limited use of Lua and LR API where needed.     The Lua aspect of what such tools could do might be just a small part of the functionality.  A Sidekick given access to the rendered images and previews may also be able to do more advanced things such as some image analysis which may require a high performance language and possibly leverage hardware acceleration or advanced CPU instructions.

Again, I cannot really suggest what is sensible or say that I’ve thought anything through and this is just brainstorming – not trying to be too sensible or too damming at this stage.

So what kind of things might this Sidekick concept possibly give?  Some examples, but I do not suggest that any of these things are needed or even practical … I’m just attempting to illustrate the diverse things such a concept might allow.

1)      An Application which “integrates with” Lightroom.
                                I can envisage a full blown stylish and UI rich Flickr Manager application which leverages tech like WPF/Silverlight to primarily manage and interact with an account on Flickr.     As a secondary aspect, this app could also integrate with LR to upload the images from LR to Flickr and download comments etc the other way – as previously said the LR publish is very seriously broken.     It would also perform more advanced tag management and filtering etc. than LR currently offers and other management functions.   I.e. Primarily A Flickr Manager application with LR integration.

2)      Extending LR Functionality - A Light Table
                                From time to time in the Forum … people have requested Light Table functionality.   Personally I have no need for this and can’t even articulate the requirements.  It may not be high on the Dev team’s agenda… I’ve no idea.   But this concept may allow a sidekick Light Table to be developed.

3)      Advanced image proceeding.
                                It has been requested at least once in the forum that LR implement photo sharpness detection to provide efficiency on the first pass culling stage.   I have no idea if such a thing is possible, practical or sensible.   Presumably some sort of algorithm may exist.    I suspect this kind of stuff is not high on the LR agenda.    An external sidekick might be able to do this kind of thing… but it would need some serious crunch power I suspect.

4)      Multi Image processing.
                                HDR Processing without Photoshop.    Controversial I know.    But potentially it would allow quality UI and fully integrated into LR HDR processing without intermediate files being thrown to and from the disk.   Sidekicks of this type would desire serious crunching power through the language and technology. 

5)      Print ordering & Photo books.
                                It would allow bespoke apps for print shops to be created which integrate with LR.    Similar apps get written using the Flickr Api.

6)      Complex Camera Control and Capture.
                                It would allow highly bespoke apps to control advanced camera / multi-camera setups with tethered or PC controlled shooting to be created which integrate with LR and camera manufacturers APIs.     No - I have no idea what type of setups!    Just illustrating.

7)      Integration with other databases.
                                It would allow the potential bridging and integration with alternate large or shared databases.

8)      Integration with other peripherals.  
                                Wacky idea I know… but it would allow someone to write an iPad app to act as an addition control surface - clearly on non iThingy things as well.     This sounds wacky I know… but similar happens elsewhere.   Yamaha have released four iPad apps to control my Motif synthesiser!    I’m simply trying to illustrate flexibility – not be practical.

9)      Etc – to be completed with more skill, imagination and a younger mind than mine!

I have no idea how useful any of the above is – that’s not the point, and have no idea how much could be done with the current environment… I just get the feeling it would allow more scope.    You asked what it would be used for … the story goes that the guy / team who invented the laser said the same thing at the time.   I just can’t say but it feels like it would broaden things and open doors.

What the Adobe LR take on this would be – who knows!

Alan.

• 13. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                  areohbee Level 5

Hi Alan,

Good answer... (& I dont shoot any ideas down at brainstorming phase).

I was recently trying to figure out what doors the sidekick app might open as well. Some were the same as you came up with, some different...

To summarize:

- Regular apps can access everything on the computer except the Lightroom catalog.

- Plugins have limited UI, limited access to the Lightroom catalog, and limited access to other computer resources.

- Neither one has full access to Lightroom catalog, nor preview images, yet.

So it seems that lack of access to image data is a big limitation. Another big limitation is catalog access, which it seems would have to go through the plugin.

Regarding #1 (previews). It is certainly possible to reverse engineer the previews, and be able to read existing previews and associate with a source photo. - There is an existing app that recovers photos from the previews that people have used who accidentally delete their sources and such. I dont know whether this would take a day to figure out, or a month..., but its doable. And, I dont know whether the limitations would be acceptable. e.g. how to assure the preview is up to date. In any case, this could be one use case for a general API - to support access to up-to-date previews.

Regarding #2 (catalog access). I dont know if there is any way to hack an unlock for the catalog, and if any of this were to be unpopular with Adobe, this would probably be one of the things. But, a plugin can gain exclusive write access to the catalog, so if it passed this privilege to its sidekick, which could circumvent the lock, then the sidekick would have complete access sql-wise to the catalog. I'm not a database-guy, so I dont know if this is possible... If not, then one use of a general API would be for catalog read/write.

Another wild idea for catalog access would be to make a copy before starting Lightroom, and updating it instead of the live catalog if necessary, then do a sync upon exiting Lightroom - just brainstorming, again - I'm not a database guy. Obviously, this would be risky, and subject to redoing for every new Lightroom version, but anything goes at the brainstorming phase, right?

Oh, I just figured out what y'all meant be sending generated Lua script to the plugin to execute, instead of a general API. I guess I always imagined a custom plugin for every app, that would generate whatever scripts might be needed to execute or whatever, from more raw params passed by the app (e.g. via xml-rpc), but I can see that an option to generate the scripts on the app side might be worthwhile too.

That's it for now,

Rob

• 14. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                    DawMatt Level 3

Hi,

The brainstorming here has been ranging far and wide.  I'd just like to remind people that unlocking catalogs, syncing copies of catalogs, direct querying of the SQL, etc could make for a rather fragile plugin (prone to "support calls" from plugin users) and risk damaging the catalog itself.  Don't make the decision to use these approaches lightly.

Where I think the Sidekick approach could work best is to separate the UI and logic for a plugin so the logic operated in a less constrained environment.  The core plugin (using the Lightroom SDK) would exist within Lightroom, and the "business logic" in a Sidekick application.  Some type of message passing would be used to communicate between the two, with the Lightroom plugin portion also acting as a proxy for actions such as writing to the catalog.  This allows you to use the official (and supported) SDK functions to safely access the catalog and should be the most maintainable approach.  It also aligns with good design practices by compartmentalising and maintaining clean interfaces between modules in the code.

Matt

• 15. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                      areohbee Level 5

Matt,

Thanks for the reminder to be cautious...

I would think the partition of labor between app & plugin would depend mostly on the combined objective, but also on programmer preference - some things could be done just as well either place, some things only one place...

But, I do think the non-modal nature of the apps should not be minimized. In other words, one could make a plugin that exports a jpeg and passes it to an app which starts up and displays focus points - that would be valuable, but would take several seconds to get results, and would not be near as cool as an eveready sidekick app that can immediately detect a photo selection change and pull the preview and display focus points with sub-second delay time (2 monitors required for best usability...). And maybe automatically display location on google map based on gps coordinate, and maybe also sharpness topography..., or if multiple selected present immediate HDR result...

In other words, usability is a big thing: lots of people have told me if DevAdjust were non-modal it would be a killer-app, but as is its barely worth using... I've since made some imrovements so presets are accessible from file menu and also hot-metadata-initiated, but its still sub-optimal. And, my file menu -> plugin extras now takes a few seconds to scroll from one end to the other. There are some other lists that take even longer to scroll that could be more optimally presented by a non-modal app.

In other other words, many of us have made plugins that are functionally capable, but are crippled usability-wise, and so users either dont use or use begrudgingly.

Anyway, I guess there are two motivations for the sidekicks:

1. to do things that otherwise could not be done.

2. to do things that otherwise would be less "usable".

R

• 16. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                        areohbee Level 5

Update:

I have an app / plugin prototype pair up and limping that uses xml-rpc for communication.

What is working now:

- Plugin can send commands to app and receive reply.

Here's what I'm thinking about for the future:

- App can also send commands to plugin and receive reply.

Plugin solicits these commands via an XmlRpc client request, but conceptually, they are initiated by the app, so app will just have:

- send(Command)AndReceive(Reply)

- processing of incoming commands happens by way of registered rpc functions.

And plugin will have:

- send(Command)AndReceive(Reply)

- sendReply

- processing of incoming commands will happen when app responds to the plugins solicitation with a command instead of a "none at this time" response.

Also, preview image reverse engineering is more-or-less complete (it turned out to be quite easy - with info available on the net...)

So, first proof-of-concept / prototype app will be a thumbnail / image display app that includes folder navigation. Folders / files selected in Lightroom will be simultaneously selected in app, and vice versa.

I will be writing the app side in wxPython.

As far as reusability, I suspect some reusable stuff to grow from this, but its not my present objective to make a formal spec...

Rob

• 17. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                          muhmu

I tried HTTP based communication in the past, but I had to change direction because open HTTP connections block Lightroom from exiting.  And I really need communication from the app to plugin.

Currently for my Lightroom + iPad remote controller plugin (lrpad.com), I am using file based approach.  The plugin polls file and app writes it when it has something to be said.  This allows Lightroom to cleanly exit - BUT my app does not know that (i never receive call to LrShutdownPlugin except when uninstalling the plugin).

There is a private remote communication API used by the tethering functionality, but it is not documented.  At least on Windows, it uses named pipes.  I managed to get it to start my app and message was received, but I haven't yet figured out how to write anything back to plugin.  On the Mac side, I don't even know what it uses to communicate...  I hope the interface gets published at some point.

And BTW, I'm writing the app in Lua. Using alien for platform specific features, such as reseting idle timeout and keyboard events.

ps. how do you actually obtain the image preview, any links?

• 18. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                            areohbee Level 5

Hi muhmu,

Your post was quite a lot for me to digest.

So if I've got this straight, you have an app running on the same machine as Lightroom, that talks to both the iPad and the lr-plugin, right?

And you could not exit Lightroom when using http to communicate app <--> plugin? Hmm, that's odd. I dont have such a problem, but then I think the default for http is to make a new connection for each exchange - were you somehow keeping the connection open?

Oh, I just read the default for HTPP/1.1 is a persistent connection - still I've had no trouble exiting Lightroom whilst doing xml-rpc. Or, am I not understanding the issue?

Yeah, the pipes would be best if anybody knows how to do it...

Thanks,

Rob

• 19. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                              muhmu Level 1

Sorry, I was maybe a bit too vague about the problem.

While HTTP GET is in progress, it blocks Lighroom from exiting. 

To implement app talking to plugin, I created a web server to app side, and made a continous polling loop to plugin side.  Basically, Lightroom plugin made a HTTP request to server and returned either empty or new develop settings, which were then applied to photo by the plugin.  If there were no changes, the server just waited 15 seconds if something happened and returned without content.  This blocked Lightroom exit for 15 seconds, so most users didn't even notice it, but it was there...  After all, there is no streaming support in HTTP API.

Current version works like this:

(Lightroom plugin) <--file--> (LRPAD lua server)  <--network--> (LRPAD iPad app)

Server process is launched by the plugin when it is first initialised.

• 20. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Very interesting.  Some thoughts about the issue:

- Why not reduce the interval from 15 seconds to 1 second or 3 seconds?  That should be long enough to reduce the CPU overhead to negligible.

- Have you considered having the plugin use io.popen("r") to launch the server and then read commands from the server?  I didn't see any references in the SDK Guide as to whether io.popen() is available on both Mac and Windows.

- In your current structure, you could have a background plugin task that writes a "keep-alive" command to a file every 1 or 2 seconds.  The server exits if it doesn't see a recent keep-alive.  With an interval of 1 or 2 seconds, the CPU overhead should be negligible.

• 21. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                                  muhmu Level 1

There is several hundred mlliseconds of delay between closing and opening of HTTP requests, so that is why the interval was so long.  The delays are annoying already (setting photo develop settings is really slow) and ideally I'd like to keep adjustments realtime.  I can't really remember exactly, but I guess LR wasn't using keep-alive, that's why the delay was so annoying (it's been months already, I can't really remember the details anymore).

I tried popen before, but LR said its not available.  I'm doing my development on Mac, have you used it yourself?

I was also thinking about some keep-alive value, but I did not bother to investigate it, as there might be some problems with laptop standbys etc.  Long-time plan is to use either pipes or add monitoring of LR process.

Of course I could add creation of pipes to my own server and just use them as regular files in plugin (I'm not 100% sure if this works on Windows), but Lua does not directly support creation of pipes, so I've been working on the more important things.

• 22. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                                    johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                                                    I tried popen before, but LR said its not available.  I'm doing my development on Mac, have you used it yourself?

I've never used it, but I just checked in LR 3.3 Windows, and it's there:

Capture.PNG

• 23. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                                      areohbee Level 5

muhmu wrote:

ps. how do you actually obtain the image preview, any links?

lrprev file format:

blah-jpeg-blah-jpeg-blah-jpeg...

jpegs start with AgHg, the different versions are indicated by 'level_{N}'. there's a control table up front that contains <strikeout>photo</strikeout> preview uuid, which levels are present, timestamp, sizes, ... - I loaded into hex editor to see.

Search the net for "how to recover images from lightroom previews".

Unfortunately its not clear how to obtain the preview uuid corresponding to a photo or otherwise find the right preview, without using the lrcat file which is locked when Lightroom is running with it.

• 24. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                                        areohbee Level 5

DawMatt wrote:

LightroomTether (the plugin from Mountain Storm that pre-dated Lightroom 3) used UNIX pipes to communicate, but only ran on Mac.

So, pipes were supported on Mac in Lr 1 or 2. muhmu said no pipes in Lr3 on Mac - did I understand him incorrectly, or was that capability rescinded...? I'll try a check later this afternoon (California USA time).

• 25. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                                          muhmu Level 1

Just re-tested this, io.popen("ls", "r") works on Windows, but on Mac I get dialog: 'popen' not supported

3/3/11 7:33:55 AM Adobe Lightroom 3[32798] Oops! An untagged string ([string "popentest.lua"]:19: 'popen' not supported) got thrown far enough that we display it to the user. This shouldn't happen.

For once I agree with Lightroom, shouldn't happen!

There are also some other subtle differences related to child processes on Windows, LrTasks.execute waits for the child process to end before Lightroom exits.  I'm currently running my server using start command as a workaround.

Anyway, it might be a solution to use io.popen on Windows, and on Mac just starting process and creating pipes using mkfifo

• 26. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                                            areohbee Level 5

Well, regardless of previous support or lack thereof, this sounds definitive - no pipe support on Mac in Lr3.

Making this not a viable option for cross-platform sidekick apps, plugin communication-wise...

Anybody know how Canon Tethering plugins work? - Its my understanding that there is some communication between plugin and app or dlls in the Canon SDK - not sure about this m'self...

Perhaps there is another way?

• 27. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                                              muhmu Level 1

As I mentioned before, tethering plugins use undocumented API.  I examined it a while ago and I got my own server process started and I was also able to send messages over the pipe to my own process.  For some reason, I couldn't get the messages from my server sent back to plugin, but it might have been just some stupid error, and I was running out of time already

If you are interested perhaps we can discuss about it privately, I don't think this is the proper forum to share reverse-engineered information.

• 28. Re: Best Cross-Platform App Framework to use to support plugin.
                                                                areohbee Level 5

Status update...

The good news: I have a really nice messaging system built around xmlrpc. Both app and plugin have sendAndReceive functions, and both can listen for unsolicited messages from the other. So, its possible to have either end be master <-> slave, or any combination that suits the fancy of the sidekick-app/plugin designer. This code is unfinished but will eventually be available at the Elare Plugin Framework site.

The bad news: Although It is easy to extract the images from the previews once you know the preview id, I haven't found a way to get to the preview id corresponding to a photo without going through the lrcat file, which is locked when Lr is running. At the moment I dont have any idea how to scale this wall... I previously thought the uuid leading to the preview file (lrprev), which is the first part of its filename (and is embedded in the header of the file...), was that of the photo to which it corresponded, but sadly - I was wrong.

UPDATE: I've now got some ideas how to scale this wall, but I decided not to post them. PM me if you want to talk about it.

Rob