6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 8:10 PM by the_wine_snob

Speeding up the video

expeditionwest Level 1

I have a certain sequence ... it's a car driving by left to right.

I want to speed it up, then slow it down. Easy to do, yes.

I'm not sure if this requires a special formula or not (think algebraic), but I want to speed it up to, say, triple time, then slowly slow it down.

Using the SPEED/DURATION button, I can slow it down, but not gradually-since the SPEED/DURATION option is fixed.

How would one slow it down gradually until it stops at the regular speed from it's triple speed. Conversly, how to speed it up progressivly to triple time from it's normal speed.

That was hard to explain...I need a shot of vino --- BILL ?

expeditionwest

• 1. Re: Speeding up the video
          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Check out:  Time remapping in the user guide.

There lies your answer.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSE0FF41A8-3D13-4f54-A1A9-D85E08011161.ht ml

• 2. Re: Speeding up the video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I like J-MS' method, but as an alternate, you can Cut your Clip, where desired, apply the appropriate Speed/Duration, and then a Cross-Dissolve between them to get a more gradual change in speed.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - how's the Pacific NW doing?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Speeding up the video
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              you can Cut your Clip, where desired, apply the appropriate Speed/Duration, and then a Cross-Dissolve between them to get a more gradual change in speed.

Bill,

I guess I'm not seeing how this would create a speed ramp. Rather, it would cause some ugly ghosting wherever you put a dissolve, especially with extreme speed differences between the two clips. If anything, a straight cut would be preferable over a dissolve; you won't get a speed ramp (a dissolve won't change that) but it won't create unnecessary artifacts, either.

My preference and recommendation would certainly to be to use Time Remapping; it's purpose-built for this sort of thing.

• 4. Re: Speeding up the video
                expeditionwest Level 1

JMS had the answer I was looking for. It allows me the flexibility I needed. Prior to that answer, I did do it the 'Hunt' way and although it worked for me, the speed ramping offered by the TIME MAPPING method is what I needed in this case.

Re the PNW - It's just ducky here (speaking of which, go to www.rainierwest.com/mybackyard). I love the weather, don't miss the sun that much (I'm a dark cloudy kinda guy) and really like the people here. I'm not saying my part of Arizona's people were all that bad, but it sure is nice talking to people when most of them have all their teeth. (LOL).  I'm gonna catch hell for that one if my Arizona buds see me again.

Anyway, getting the Rainier West Video biz going here is kinda tough - lot's of competition.  Don't that beat all? In my part of Arizona there was no competition and no customers, here there's plenty of customers and plenty of competition.

expeditionwest

• 5. Re: Speeding up the video
                  expeditionwest Level 1

Thanks J-MS ... my answereth lieth there.

expeditonwest

• 6. Re: Speeding up the video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

At the end of the day, it's all about what works best in one's workflow, with their footage, and for their delivery.

Very glad that JM-S had the key, and most of all, that it was shared.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I am just so happy to see a question that does not involve a messed up installation, or program crash!