6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2011 3:03 PM by the_wine_snob

New to PRE and need feedback on my system build

athaynes25

I played around with the trial version on my old computer and decided to go ahead and purchase PRE 9 and PSE 9 together. I have built a few PC's in my day and recently completed my current build running my purchased software. I was hoping that I could get some feedback on what I have and what I might change to get better performance. PRE is very jittery when scrolling through content and playing back the timeline. Sometimes I don't even see a transition. I am new to video editing in general and capture in HD with my Canon HF S100, so I am planning on editing in HD as well. Sorry for the NoBo question, but my machine smokes until I fire up PRE. I may be using the application incorrectly, but I am assuming that my low end video card, is an area of concern/bottleneck. I don't want to blow $800 on a Quadro 4000 if it won't make a huge difference, but I assume it will. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

High level build

MoBo - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

PSW - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified

Proc - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Mem - 12GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Drives

OS - Crucial RealSSD C300

Media - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb

OS - Windows 7 x64 SP1

Video - NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Detailed DxDiag output below.

------------------
      System Information
      ------------------
      Time of this report: 2/27/2011, 19:30:14
      Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
      Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
      System Model: System Product Name
      BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/25/10 14:57:23 Ver: 08.00.15

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 12280MB RAM
      Page File: 8908MB used, 15647MB available
      Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 11
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
      User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
      System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
      DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
      Display Devices
      ---------------
      Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
      Manufacturer: NVIDIA
      Chip type: GeForce 9500 GT
      DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
      Display Memory: 4069 MB
      Dedicated Memory: 997 MB
      Shared Memory: 3071 MB
      Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
      Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: ASUS VH242
      Monitor Id: ACI24FA
      Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
      Output Type: DVI
      Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
      Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.5896 (English)
      Driver Version: 8.17.12.5896
      DDI Version: 10
      Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
      Driver Date/Size: 7/10/2010 04:38:00, 12471400 bytes
      WHQL Logo'd: n/a
      WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
      Driver Strong Name: oem3.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section003:8.17.12.5896:pci\ven_10de&dev_0640
      Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
      Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
      D3D9 Overlay: Supported
      DXVA-HD: Supported
      DDraw Status: Enabled
      D3D Status: Enabled
      AGP Status: Enabled

• 1. Re: New to PRE and need feedback on my system build
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The system should fly, even with AVCHD material.

Going with an nVidia Quadro card will likely do nothing that you could notice, as PrE does not support CUDA with hardware MPE, like PrPro CS5. I'd put that $ into an additional HDD, to separate the Project and Scratch Disks from the media drive, and you'll still have maybe US$ 900 left over. Also, in case you are tempted, PrE will not use SLI, and it might actually cause some problems.

I did not check out your nVidia driver, but you will want to verify that it is the latest for your card.

I also assume that your Project and Media are on the WD, and that only the OS, programs, and probably the Page File, are on the SSD. Is that correct? See above for my only possible rec. on your I/O. At least you have two physical HDD's, so that is a great start.

The 650W PSU might be a tad on the light side, with that WD HDD (have not seen that model, so do not know its power requirement.

For general setup, there might be some tips in the links in this ARTICLE. Be sure to see the Win7 Tune Up Tips on Black Viper's Web site.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to PRE and need feedback on my system build
            athaynes25 Level 1

Well that is an encouraging start and why I wanted to ask about the GPU I actually have 4 disks installed that I can use, so maybe I missed somewhere on how to move the Scratch Disks? I am not sure what that is. My video driver is up to date and I don't run a page file. Again sorry if I could have read this somewhere and missed it.

So if you had my system and the following 4 disks, how would you configure your application/files?

C: SSD

OS & PRE

D: WD Raptor

Video and Photos

E: WD Caviar Blue

?

F: WD Caviar Blue

?

Thanks again,

p.s. I am really surprised/disappointed that this is a 32bit application. Any insight as to why that is?

• 3. Re: New to PRE and need feedback on my system build
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on your I/O sub-system setup for video-editing.

As for the Scratch Disks, think of those as the "working files," that PrE produces and needs to edit video. Part of those will be the Media Cache, where you will have the CFA (Conformed Audio) files, the PEK files for Waveform Display, etc. For a bit of background on Conforming, see this ARTICLE.

Now, for ultimate performance, one would want to spread the I/O load over as many discs, as is possible. The OS and programs accessing the HDD is a given, but you have already segregated them onto C:\. Then, one has the Scratch Disks, which also require quite a bit of access. The media is accessed often for many operations, and then there is the need to Export/Share. In a perfect world, one would allocate a separate HDD for each of those operations, with one caveat: when one has finished a Project, there will then be the cleanup of the files. If one has spread the Project over multiple physical HDD's, they must go to each, and do the cleanup. OTOH, and at the sacrifice of ultimate spead with I/O access, if one has placed their Project into a root folder, say [Project Name], and then accepted the default location for the Scratch Disks, for Same As Project, all they have to do is Delete that Project Name root folder, and everything else comes with it. As I migrate Projects between computers, I locate everything in a Project Name root folder on an external, and then everything is below that folder structure. For media, I leave my Assets on an NAS, and just Copy over what I need to the various media sub-folders, like Video, Stills, Music, Audio, etc. I give up performance, but have everything that I need to move the Project about, and cleanup is easy. In my case, each external has a permanent drive letter assignment in the OS of each computer, so that drive Z:\ is always Z:\ on each computer, and regardless of what else might be plugged-in to that computer. Makes life simple for me.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: New to PRE and need feedback on my system build
                athaynes25 Level 1

Awesome, thanks. So I read the info you sent (and finally found the preferences) and have everything reconfigured and just wanted to run it by you one last time to see if I have it right or if there is anything else I might be missing. The only other question I had was on the Media tab. It lists yet another Media Cache database. Should I move that as well or is it a low volume DB?

Capture.JPG

I enjoy learing new software, but if the Perf is bad, I tend to move on. So thanks again for all of the help I am ready to dig with things smoothing out. 

• 5. Re: New to PRE and need feedback on my system build
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The Media Cache Database is a tiny (relatively) file, to tell the program where to locate aspects of the Project, such as the Media Cache, which has much larger files, and ones that will be accessed much more often.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: New to PRE and need feedback on my system build
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>surprised/disappointed that this is a 32bit application. Any insight as to why that is?

Premiere Pro CS5 is 64bit, costs several times as much as Premiere Elements, and is the professional version

Premiere Elements is the consumer version, and is 32bit to have a wider audience

Maybe... some time in the future when the majority of users have 64bit computers, PrEl will be rewritten for 64bit... but my GUESS is not any time soon