19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 6:31 PM by mdubuque

Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)

mdubuque Level 1

Hello,

As part of my film, I have loaded a series of .psd files into my timeline.  (Apparently Premiere Pro does not support RAW file imports from a Canon 5d).

When I play the timeline, the image displayed in the upper right program panel is only a tiny fraction of the actual image I photographed. 

When I adjust the drop down menu in that program panel to different sizes ("Fit", 50%, 100%) etc. this does not resolve the problem, it only seems to change the percentage of the program panel that is occupied by my image.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. 

Matt

• 1. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
          shooternz Level 6

You could  resize your psd files to match your program settings.

or

Right Click on psd in timeline and select  'Scale to Frame Size'.

First option is best.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
            mdubuque Level 1

Thank you.  I'd like to proceed with option one if that is the superior option.

I think the "program" in "program settings" you refer to below is Premiere Pro.

How do I ascertain what those are?

Matt

• 3. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
              Jim_Simon Level 8

"Program" in this case means the video project (as in "TV program"), and not a piece of software.

Resize your stills to come closer to the dimensions of your video.

• 4. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                mdubuque Level 1

I'm so sorry to not understand.

I would imagine I would want to resize my stills so that they are exactly the size of my video, but perhaps I am mistaken.

What is the quick way to learn the exact size of my video?

Matt

• 5. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm a little dumbfounded by the question.  My first instinct is to say that if you don't know what resolution you're working in, you probably should not be in the video production business.

That's a little like a mechaninc not knowing how big the engine in his own car is as he tries to repair it.

• 6. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                    shooternz Level 6

Go to the Menu Bar>Sequence>Sequence Settings

This will display your set up when you created your project.

They need to match your material.

• 7. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                      mdubuque Level 1

Hmmmm.  I wonder why my Sequence/Sequence Settings is grayed out.  I have a registered full version.

• 8. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                        mdubuque Level 1

Perhaps it is more like an artist not knowing exactly how to mix her colors correctly and having a legitimate question about how to do so.

• 9. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

I'll butt in here if you do not mind.

First, you are correct that PrPro does not support Camera RAW. One must address that with another program, such as PS and the ACR modules, or Lightroom, or Adobe DNG, or the Canon software. Your choice of PSD, after the intiial processing of the Camera RAW is as good, as it gets.

As for the Scaling, there are several ways to handle that. Each has a set of pluses and minuses.

At no time can you see more pixels, than the Frame Size of the Project Preset, say 1920 x 1080. You might have an image that is 12,000 x 9,000 pixels, but you can only ever see the 1920 x 1080 pixels of the Frame Size. The only reason that you might need more, is if you are Panning on a Zoomed out image, and that is rather like having a 16 x 20 matte, with an 8 x 10 aperture. You have an 11 x 14 photograph behind that. You can ONLY see the 8 x 10 of the aperture. Video is different than our static example. You can "move" that 11 x 14 behind the 8 x 10 aperture over time.

Now, as of CS5, the Scaling algorithms have greatly improved, but if an image is overly large, while the quality is now much better in the Scaling, there are still a bunch of unused pixels, and those will require computer resources to "push around."

This ARTICLE will discuss working with stills in PrPro and PrE, with a PS workflow. Ignore the initial Frame Sizes, as it was written with SD Projects in mind, and it's not until down-thread, that HD sizes are mentioned.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                            mdubuque Level 1

Thanks Bill, I have marked your response as helpful!

I think for my next film, when time is not so tight, I will process my stills using Genuine Fractals to do some nice fractal interpolation for enlarging my stills. But for this project and this deadline, I think .psd will be just fine.  And I have superior images to start with, very nicely white balanced, framed and carefully nurtured in Camera Raw.  I'll be doing Ken Burns effects later.

I will read that article and thread you posted right away.

One threshold inquiry I do have is that when you referred below to the frame size of the project preset, under "Project Settings" I saw no references to frame size, but under "Sequence Settings" I do.  I think that may be what you are referring to:

However, my issue is that apparently, per the screen shot below, I am not able to manipulate those values:

That inability to manipulate the width and height of my project, to change my codec to H264 and alter my time base to 24p seems to be quite a stumbling block for me.

I think that has to do with my PPro settings being set to Canon Standard because "Canon 5d" is not an option that appears.

Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 4.12.37 PM.png

• 11. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                              mdubuque Level 1

So if my video is shot in 1920 by 1080, I will want to resize my .psd files with that figure in mind, depending on how much and whether I would like a matte effect and a few other things?

Sorry, I just haven't mixed video and stills before.

Just wanted to confirm.  I believe I understand now.

matt

• 12. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                                shooternz Level 6

Correct.

Heres a quick way to make a Project.

Drag your video onto the New Item Icon at the bottom of the project window.

That will create a sequence that matches the video.

Now usually you would make your still assets match the 1920 x 1080. but considering  'Ken Burns effect... you need images maybe 2 or 3 times larger.

BTW: the screen is grayed out only because thats not the place to Create a project and set it up.  It is info only.

• 13. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The material that you show in your Project Preset are for an SD DV NTSC Project at 720 x 480, Standard (4:3, PAR = 0.9), so your stills, for that Project should be Scaled to approximately 720 x 480. Note: stills will be Square Pixels (PAR =1.0), so there is a slight difference there.

As for the Genuine Fractals (Human Software), be a bit careful, as PrPro has limited still format Import capabilities. I have a much older version of Genuine Fractals, and would run those image through PS to output, via Save_As PSD, the native format of PS, and a format that PrPro can work with natively.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                                    mdubuque Level 1

thanks gentlemen!

I'm so much more oriented now thanks to all your help!

Almost all my video is shot in 1920 x 1080; that other one was the exception....

Matt

• 15. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

For your HD Projects, first match the Project Preset to those parameters. Then, in PS, scale to that Frame Size. One plus with HD (aside from the higher pixel x pixel dimensions) is that one is nearly always dealing with Square Pixels, just like with the stills.

I like to Scale to exactly what I need, while some like giving some padding. I want to make it easiest on my machine, and not force it to shove around pixels that will not be seen. If I need to Pan on a Zoomed out image, I will calculate exactly what I will need, and Scale to that. I will even Crop off any vertical pixels, that will not be seen, if I am doing a linear Pan - just to keep the workload to a minimum. With a couple of stills, this is not an issue, but with many of them, the resource load can grow, and bring even a stout machine to its knees. In some of my Projects, I am working with thousands of stills, so you can see that unnecessary pixels can add up quickly there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                                        mdubuque Level 1

Thanks Bill, a wise idea and also presented well in that article you provided me..... you are a true and fine conservationist!

Our precious resources include RAM and processing time and you steward them well!

Matt Dubuque

100 Trees

• 17. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

One can never have too much RAM, or HDD space, and we always need to make the best use of them all - just like with the Earth.

I like to keep things simple, and especially with still images. I always Scale to just what I need, Cropping in PS, if needed. If I need more pixels for motion, then I just do the math, and go from there, even if it means that I will be Scaling (and possibly Cropping) each of those images separately. Being first a still photographer, I treat each image as unique, and each as deserving my closest attention, so I do not mind handling each separately. In most cases, though, a batch Scale will handle the vast majority of my images, as I will not be Panning on a Zoomed out still - just Zooming IN and probably Panning to the subject of that still.

Good luck, and glad to have helped,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

As a complete sidenote: if you ever have a very large still, and require that for a lot of animation, like big, long Pans, with maybe some Tilts (done the same way with Effect>Motion>Position, but in the vertical), you might want to think about doing that work in AE, as it handles very large stills differently, and better, than does PrPro. An example of this would be a very large map, that you need to animate in all directions, so you do need all those pixels for the animation - just do that in AE, and Export your animation for use in your PrPro Project.

AE has a pixel x pixel limit of something like a gazillion in horizontal and a bazillion in vertical...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Program Panel Display Issue (only part of .psd file is displayed)
                                              mdubuque Level 1

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the tip.  I do have some enormous and cool 360 degree stitched pano shots that, time permitting I may include.  People have definitely been doing some cool work with that AE.

Most likely however, I will save that for my next film.....

Matt