6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 2:33 PM by the_wine_snob

VST plugin effects do not show up in effects tab??

AG2011

Hi guys,

Does anyone know why only a hand full of audio effects show up in the audio effects folder for premiere CS5?

There seems to be a couple dozen missing.

Chorus1.dll

Chorus2.dll

Chorus6.dll

DeClicker1.dll

DeCrackler2.dl

DeEsser6.dll

To name just a few!

I  know they are installed and present in my directory :C:\Program  Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\en_US\VSTPlugins(over  thirty), but they do not show up in my effects folders or in my effects control panel.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

PS Windows 7 x64 , geforce 8500gt, Realtek High Definition Audio sound card

• 1. Re: VST plugin effects do not show up in effects tab??
          the_wine_snob Level 9

PrPro can use some VST's, but not all. There are basically three "types" of VST's, regarding PrPro. This ARTICLE goes into a bit more detail.

There is a "type" of VST, that PrPro cannot work with, but it does not hang the program on launch. With many/most of those, there is a one-time warning message, that states that Premiere can load it, but cannot use it.

It could also be that the desired VST's, are what I call "Type I's," but PrPro is not finding them, though it normally looks all about the system, and will attempt to load all that it finds.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for particular VST's, someone from Adobe will probably need to make direct comments on those, and how well, or poorly, PrPro might work with them.

BTW - does Soundbooth, or Audition show those particular VST's?

• 2. Re: VST plugin effects do not show up in effects tab??
            AG2011 Level 1

Hi Bill and thanks for the reply!

I think I may be missing something in my preferences tab, or something was ommtted at installation.

The thing is, I have seen these audio effects used extensively in various tutorials by instructors at VTC and Lynda.com, and so on.

The effects I am referring to are NOT after maket plugins...they are in fact shipped/included with the product.

Therefore, there must be a way to "activate" them for use.

Why would Adobe include them as standard if we could not use them?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: VST plugin effects do not show up in effects tab??
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If those are supplied Adobe VST's, then I agree with you completely - something is not right. Were the tutorials at Lynda.com using them in PrPro?

I cannot tell you where any included VST's might be located on the installation disks, but were it me, I'd do a Repair Install, to see if that does get things working.

Also note, VST's might also exist in other Adobe programs, such as Soundbooth. If one did not install those other apps, or if they did not have a suite with them included, they could well be MIA, for an otherwise perfect installation of PrPro.

Unfortunately, I do not have CS5 installed yet, but will check thost particular VST's on my CS2 Production Studio, with both Audition and AfterEffects, to see if I have them. Maybe a CS5 user, with say MC, or similar, can say "Yes, I have those, and they are installed in ____."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: VST plugin effects do not show up in effects tab??
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Just checked my CS2 Production Studio, with AE and Audition, but no Soundbooth, and this was my list:

PrPro_VST_List.png

Note: my installation is not in the normal Program Files\\ Path, as all of my Adobe programs are in my C:\Adobe folder. Your installation will be slightly different, if you used the default.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: VST plugin effects do not show up in effects tab??
                  AG2011 Level 1

Hello again Bill,

The effects are in fact installed here :

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5\MediaCore\VSTPlugins

and they do not show up in the effects tab folders or in the effects panel, so I copied the folder (VSTPlugins)

and placed them here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\en_US\ VSTPlugins

Same result...nothing ,zip, zilch

I am thinking about copying and pasting just the .dll files without the folder (VSTPlugins folder) to here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\en_US\Effects Presets

What do you think?

Can you tell me what the command prompt value is for doing an app repair on windows 7 x64? Is it appwhiz..something or other???

Also, if I re-install or repair Pr Pro...will I have to re-install all my plugins again?

That would really bite.

One more thing....can you suggest any paid plugins or even free ones that can provide audio effects and transitions?

Thanks a million!

PS. Yes, Lynda.com essentials training for premiere pro does cover dragging and dropping an effect called DeCrackler.dll which can be found in the VSTPlugins folder in Premiere Pro CS5

• 6. Re: VST plugin effects do not show up in effects tab??
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I am thinking about copying and pasting just the .dll files without the folder (VSTPlugins folder) to here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\en_US\Effects Presets. What do you think?

Not knowing the necessities for PrPro to work with the VST's, I cannot comment on this. It might help, or perhaps not. Maybe someone from Adobe can help.

The Repair Install is a function in the installation module of most Adobe programs. When one has certain Adobe programs installed, and they insert the installation disc, depending on the settings for AutoRun for that drive, the Installer will run and survey the system, if the Adobe programs ARE installed, a sub-set of the installer will then run (can depend on whether one has a suite, or not), and the user will be given two choices: Uninstall, or Repair install.

With Repair Install, another survey will be run on the system, and the chosen program will be studied. If there are missing, or corrupted elements, like .dll's, then the Repari Install will address all of those elements. At least up through PrPro CS2 Production Studio, there was an option for Repair Install. I cannot tell you if that exists for later versions. The nice thing is that it does not require a full uninstall, and full reinstall - it just repairs the broken parts.

Good luck,

Hunt