15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 2:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)

shiffsportsmarketing Level 1

Hi all:

I am trying to create my own project preset.  This is what the Adobe Help documentation says:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS04855172-E9FD-41b3-9145-FD434A543442. html

Create or change project presets

The default project presets in Adobe Premiere Elements are appropriate for most types of source media, including video from DV camcorders, cameras, DVD discs, and mobile phones. If your source footage requires a custom project preset, you can create one. The procedure for creating a preset differs if you’re changing settings for an open project versus establishing settings for a new project. Presets you create can be applied to new projects, and if you want to back up or distribute preset files, you can find them in the Settings subfolder of the Adobe Premiere Elements folder on your hard disk.

However --- this doesn't actually TELL you how to do it!  My footage is 640x480 and uses the H.264, AAC codecs.  I cannot find a preset with that size setting.

Any thoughts?  Your help is always appreciated!

Kim

• 1. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The article you've linked to is a bit misleading.

You can select one of the existing project presets for a Premiere Elements project.

You definitely can NOT create a custom project preset. Sorry.

I'm not sure what kind of camcorder your video is coming from, but it will likely not be a good fit for Premiere Elements. It may still work -- but it may well be challenging to work with too. Sorry.

• 2. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)
            nealeh Level 5

Steve, I posted to this discussion yesterday as, I think, did Bill. Is there a board problem with posts disappearing?

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)

Not that I'm aware of.

But occasionally Adobe does reset something on this forum and I've seen posts vanish.

• 4. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I did not post to this thread, but yes, there have been smoe major issues with the forum. Though there was no scheduled maintenance, there was work being done over the weekend, after "black Friday." Not sure what was being done, but one Aodbe employee mentioned the efforts. Posts could well have been lost in that shuffle.

I saw this post, but it was getting late, and did not revisit it, until this AM (Monday).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, let's hope that the work on the forum has not been completed yet, as today, Monday, Feb 28, things are still very wonky.

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)

Steve:

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that Adobe's official user guide/help manual is misleading?  It does specifically state that you CAN create your own preset.  I guess I'll email Adobe and tell them to take that verbiage out!

I did not mention in my original post (sorry!) that all of my footage is coming from DVDs (those same pesky college football games that I was using on the last project I asked for all of your help with about a month ago!).  The files are MPEG-4 movie files, and are 640-x480, and use the H.264, AAC codecs.

What would be the appropriate PrE 9 project preset to use for this type of source footage?  I have tried several different ones (including a DSLR setting I found that uses 640x480, but the fps is 60) - and when I bring the footage to the timeline, it is unrendered (red line above) - which I believe means that it does not match the project settings (?).  PrE does NOT prompt me by saying "footage doesn't match settings, would you like to change project settings" as it does when I use different settings - but I'm still not sure if this is the right way to go.

Any guidance is very much appreciated --- as usual

Thanks,

Kim

• 7. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)

I'm not clear what your source files are.

Are they DVDs (VOB files)? Or are they MP4 (H.264 files)?

If you can play them on a standard DVD player, they are just VOBs and you can load them into a Premiere Elements project set up for a Hard Disk/Flash Disk Camcorder.

If they are some hybrid that uses H.264 codecs, you're going to find the fit a bit tougher.

• 8. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)

I had to convert the dvds to mpeg-4 files.  I am unable to import the VOB files directly into PrE.  Every time I tried, the program froze.  I tried importing the entire dvd folder, tried importing the video_ts folder, tried importing the individual VOB files, etc. - but each and EVERY time, the program locked up.  I tested this with 3 different dvds to make sure it wasn't the dvd itself.

So - there's another "bug" for you   I have a feeling there are a lot more bugs with the Mac version than Adobe realizes.

Anyway -- so the dvds were converted to mpeg-4 files with the previous mentioned settings.

Any other ideas/guidance?

Thanks again!

Kim

• 9. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kim,

If these files are coming from DVD-Videos, and it sounds like they are with the VOB containers, they should be MPEG-2 720 x 480 for NTSC, or 720 x 576 for PAL.

There should be no reason to convert to H.264, and especially at that smaller Frame Size. One of the last things that you will want to do is to apply H.264 compression to existing MPEG-2 material. If those small Frame Sizes and the H.264 are all that your conversion program can do, then it's time to find a new converter. You do not want to use that workflow. Now, if your converter program can produce the 720 x 480, with the original MPEG-2, things will be much better, and you can use the Hard Disk Camera Preset in DV format.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)

Thanks, Hunt --- I will give that a shot!

Any idea why I am unable to import the VOB files directly?

Thanks!

Kim

• 11. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)
                              nealeh Level 5

How were you source DVD's originally created? Provided they conform 100% to the official standards for DVD they should load fine. Unfortunately there are many DVDs that are not standards compliant and PRE trips up with them.

Some have reported that they can access some of their DVD footage by changing the file extension from .VOB to .MPG.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Kim,

As per Neale's comments, if 100% DVD-compliant, they should Import and edit just fine. This ARTICLE will give you more info and background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Some have reported that they can access some of their DVD footage by changing the file extension from .VOB to .MPG.

This almost always works perfectly with all VOB's, after the first. With the first VOB, it might, or might not, and much of that depends on the navigation and Menus, also appearing in the first VOB.

It is also often that navigation and those Menus in the first VOB, that get in the way of PrE successfully Importing it. I only wish that all devices and software, that produce DVD-Videos would adhere 100% to the DVD-specs., rather than playing fast and loose with them. Life would then be so simple for most editors. As that is not likely to ever happen, we just need to find workarounds for the "stuff" produced by DVR's, and that other software.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)

I can only assume that the DVDs are compliant --- as they were produced by a local television station for me.  If the tv station isn't creating the dvds properly from footage they shot -- I'm not sure who would!

That being said --- the VOB files will NOT import directly into PrE.  I still think this is a Mac issue... every problem I have seems to come down/back to that...

I will try changing the extension to mpq - and see what happens.

Thanks again for everyone's input -

Kim

• 15. Re: Create a project preset (Adobe Help says you can)
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      I can only assume that the DVDs are compliant --- as they were produced by a local television station for me.  If the tv station isn't creating the dvds properly from footage they shot -- I'm not sure who would!

If they are using a program, like Sonic Scenarist (the modules of which are in both PrE and Encore, in the form of the Sonic AuthorCore), then they should be 100% DVD-compliant. If, however, they are using a DVR unit (would be my guess, but you'll have to ask them), or perhaps Nero, or Roxio for the authoring, then all bets are off.

Being a PC-guy, the Mac is often an easy, and first target for me, but somehow, I kind of doubt that it's at the root of this issue. My wager is still on the 100% DVD-compliancy aspect, but I have been wrong before, and also admit that I do not know much about Mac's.

Good luck,

Hunt