6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2011 9:33 PM by mdubuque

Sequence Settings Question (Screen Shot Attached)

mdubuque Level 1

Hello,

I wanted to thank all the people on this forum who are assisting others.  Some day I would like very much to do the same thing.

I think I can make it easier on those kind people reaching out to others by attaching screen shots related to my startup questions.

My question is about Sequence Settings.  Many of the key ones are grayed out:

Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 3.42.40 PM.png

One issue is that i am unable to change my display format to 24p.  That is not on the drop down menu provided.

Also, I am shooting in the H264 codec on a Canon 5d Mark II, but cannot change that, nor can I change the frame size (i have been shooting generally in 1080).   Instead, I am locked into a DV codec and a Canon "Standard" configuration because the 5d does not appear on the drop down menu.

Matt

• 1. Re: Sequence Settings Question (Screen Shot Attached)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

My question is about Sequence Settings.  Many of the key ones are grayed out:

One issue is that i am unable to change my display format to 24p.  That is not on the drop down menu provided.

It looks like you're trying to modify the settings for an existing sequence; you can't do that--or more specifically, you can't change any parameters that would affect the playback and scaling of a sequence.

If you're working solely with Canon 5D footage, there are sequence presets set up specifically for that sort of footage. When you create a new sequence, navigate through the categories of presets in the left pane of the New Sequence dialog; you want the DSLR folder. Find the preset that matches the size and framerate of your footage, and create a new sequence using it.

Another alternative is to drag one of your clips to the New Item button at the bottom of the Project Panel--it's the one that looks like a dog-eared sheet of paper. Premiere will create a new sequence matching your clip's properties, and insert that clip into it. From there, you can add more footage.

Also, I am shooting in the H264 codec on a Canon 5d Mark II, but cannot change that, nor can I change the frame size (i have been shooting generally in 1080).   Instead, I am locked into a DV codec and a Canon "Standard" configuration because the 5d does not appear on the drop down menu.

Don't worry too much about the codec choice there; selecting the proper sequence preset will use the correct codec, and that choice only dictates the codec used to render preview files if you have a portion of your sequence that will not playback in real-time.

Do dig into the help documents to help get you rolling; most of this is covered in one form or fashion there. Certainly feel free to ask questions, but the help documents should usually be the first reference for general operational questions. Here are the CS5 documents online: Using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/index.html

• 2. Re: Sequence Settings Question (Screen Shot Attached)
            mdubuque Level 1

Thanks Colin.  Now I am a much happier camper.  Your kind advice is duly noted.

Sincerely,

Matt Dubuque

• 3. Re: Sequence Settings Question (Screen Shot Attached)
              Colin Brougham Level 6

No problem, Matt--glad to help. Good luck, and be sure to check back in if you run into any other head-scratchers

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sequence Settings Question (Screen Shot Attached)
                mdubuque Level 1

yep, I'll be sure to!

Thanks again to all.

• 5. Re: Sequence Settings Question (Screen Shot Attached)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

Glad that Colin was able to sort things out here.

There are other times, where one can, or cannot change parameters of a Sequence.

If you choose a Preset for that Sequence, you will have the parameters grayed out too. However, if one has chosen the Desktop Preset, then most parameters will NOT be grayed out, and one can change them to match their source footage 100%.

Note: PrPro first offers a bunch of Presets, so that one can very likely find what they are looking for. If not, then there are two ways to handle this in CS5: One can choose the Desktop Preset, and plug in the parameters, that are required for the match, or they can Import a Clip, and then drag that to the New Icon at the bottom of the Project Panel, and let PrPro create the Sequence to match.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful