• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Giving feedback on multiple-answer, multiple-choice questions

Feb 27, 2011 Feb 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I’m working in Captivate 5, and am editing a quiz within a module at the moment.  I use a variety of question styles to keep my learners engaged and encourage learning, even while they are being assessed.  During the pilot stage of my current project, I got lots of comments from my learners that they wanted feedback on their answers, and especially so for one question, which was a “select all that apply” multiple-choice question.

I’ve done a bit of digging around, both on these forums and by googling, and discovered that I can’t use the Advanced Answer Options with multiple-choice questions where Multiple Answers is selected.  That’s a bit sad, but I’ll go to the wish-list to comment on that. 

For the other question types that don’t allow Advanced Answer Options, I’ve been able to work-around giving feedback by editing the Incorrect message caption.  I don’t however seem to have one on this question.  It’s there for all the other questions, so I don’t think I’ve accidentally turned it off. (Although I can’t see where I would have done that, given that the Quiz Properties inspector only has options to display Correct, Incomplete and Retry message captions.)

I would insert a screenshot at this point, but my work system is blocking that functionality.

Does anyone have any suggestions for giving targeted feedback using this question type?  I don’t really want to resort to inserting a dummy slide with a static caption, as the quizzing sections of the course already have a lot of latency in the response times (even when viewed on the local network, and these will be deployed globally), so I want to avoid unnecessary slides.  And of course, I want to keep the way I give feedback as consistent as possible for the learner.

For completeness sake, I will be publishing the course to a Sharepoint Learning Kit environment, using SCORM Manifest v1.2 and outputting as Flash 9.  Not that this is a publishing issue!

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Elisabeth

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to have at least one Failure caption for a Multiple Choice question, even when Multiple Answers is selected.

Select the question that is missing the Failure caption, go to the Quiz Properties panel and look in the Action accordion.  If the Failure caption has been deleted accidentally at some stage, you may find that the Failure level has been set to None. Set the number of Attempts to one or more, and set your Failure Level the same.  This should make the Failure caption reappear.

For questions that require more sophisticated explanations of why the user may have got it wrong, I usually set the Failure action for the question to jump to another slide that has all the required info, with the On Exit action of that slide set to jump to the next question in the quiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod,

Attempts was set to 3, and failure level at 1, but when I changed it to 2, the Incorrect message caption appeared.  I guess when there are multiple answers, you need more than one failure level.  With them both set to one, no dice, but moved them to both at 2, then it appeared again.

Cheers,

Elisabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I marked this as useful before I reread it and found the bit about the attempts as well.  You did indeed give me the correct answer, so please accept my apologies for cheating you out of 5 points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod.  At this time (February 2016), does Captivate 9 offer more elegant or automated solutions to explanations of wrong answers in multiple choice questions?

Or does your treatment of "wrong answers that require explanations" remain the same?   

"For questions that require more sophisticated explanations of why the user may have got it wrong, I usually set the Failure action for the question to jump to another slide that has all the required info, with the On Exit action of that slide set to jump to the next question in the quiz."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 9 has introduced no new functionality in this area.  In the same situation I would be using the same solution mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct.  Thanks Rod!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources