13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 3:41 AM by mttsmmnds

Creating a preset title with animation

mttsmmnds Level 1

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a title (or lower 3rd/name strap to be precise) which can be set up for use on other machines running PPro CS5.

I designed and created everything in After Effects, thinking I could save this as a title preset for Premiere (just like you can with Motion to FCP). I've since learnt that this can't be done (is this right? Am I missing something?). I've almost worked out how to recreate the same animation etc. in Premiere. My question is how do I package or collect the layers and assets into one simple title preset? One which I can save onto other machines for other users without them having to do any fiddly recreation of my animation? Unfortunately I need the text to remain editable, otherwise I'd just hand over a movie or image sequence with an alpha embedded.

I thought this would be a relatively simple job seeing as Motion and FCP have it working so smoothly — After Effects is infinitely better than Motion and Dynamic Link seems too powerful a tool to not be able to make animated title presets somehow possible for Premiere. Hopefully I'm missing something.

I also have no preset titles from Adobe. We downloaded the production premium trail then brought the serials — could this be why I don't have the presets installed? Is it worth reinstalling form the same download link?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You can save a title as a standalone title template; just select it in the Project Panel, and go to File > Export > Title. Choose a save location and name. This will create a .PRTL file that you transfer to another system and import into a new project; it will create a title clip in your destination project. The PRTL file itself is not edited, so you can always go back to it to create new title.

For the animation: select the effect or effects you used to create the animation in the Effects Control Panel (hold down the Ctrl/Cmd key to select multiple effects). This also includes fixed effects like Motion and Opacity. When selected, right-click in the ECP's empty space (under the effects) or click the small fly-out menu button (up in the top right corner; looks like a stack of pancakes) and select Save Preset. Give your preset a name, choose how you want the keyframes scaled, and add a description if you like. For more information on this process, check the Help documents: Effect presets

The preset you created will now be saved in the Effects Panel. If you select it in the Effects Panel, you can right-click it or use the fly-out menu to Export the preset. You can save this as a standalone file for transport to a different system; use the same process to Import the preset into the destination system. Unlike title templates, this will become a permanent addition to the destination system's UI, so you only need to do this once. You simply need to apply that effect preset to your title in the new project, and the animation will be recreated.

Another option would be to create a small template project that contains your title template and the animation; you can then import that template project into your final project, and copy and paste the title and its animation wherever you need it in the final project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
            mttsmmnds Level 1

Thank you Colin, really helpful info.

I kind of worked out the first two points, but I think I might experiment a little with your last suggestion.

This name strap needs to be very quick and simple to apply so I was hoping I could create one preset or template for others to use. Ideally I'd avoid saving a title template and an effects preset because, unless there's a more elegant way to create my title, users will need to apply more than one set of effects to different layers.

I've created the title with a simple solid which animates onto the frame with position keyframes. On top of that is a layer of text which animates on with opacity keyframes. The complicated bit is the logo which is an animation created and rendered out of AE. This can't be made in Premiere (lots of track mattes, blending modes etc.) so this is the only way I can think to get it into the strap in Premiere. So my title consists of two layers with different animation properties and an imported asset.

As I mentioned in my last post, I would previously make this in Motion and simply 'save as master template' for use in FCP. It would save the animation properties and any assets used. Brilliant. If only there was a way of nesting the three layers I've used for my title in Premiere and then File > Export > Title I'd be done, but it won't let me save as a title.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I think building a template project will probably be your best bet, in that case. If it's only one sequence in the project, and you only need one title per final project, it will greatly accelerate what you're trying to do. You can even edit the title sequence into your final sequence as a clip (read here: Nest sequences), so that can keep your final sequence a little more tidy.

If you will potentially need two or more animated titles per final project, I'd suggest setting up multiple prebuilt sequence instances in your template project. That way, once imported, the editor could just rename the sequence, e.g. Bill Smith, open up that sequence by double-clicking it, double-clicking the actually Title clip in the sequence to edit it, and then the title sequence can be dropped into your final sequence. Repeat as necessary for as many titles as you need. The reason I'd suggest this workflow as it avoids unnecessary and potentially confusing duplication in your final project; you'd be arming the editor of the final project with all the ammunition they need. When importing the template project, you could select just the number of sequences you'd actually need for the project.

I use a similar workflow, except I actually use the template project as my starting point; I open it and use the Save As command to create a working project. This could be an option, too... you just need to make sure you don't save over your template

• 4. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                mttsmmnds Level 1

Thanks again Colin,

Yes, this looks like a good solution for me. I was actually going to make three different nested sequences in my project (one for each frame size the editor needs) and then give them the media managed project. Hopefully they can just drag and drop the necessary sequence, and open the text layer(s) in title editor.

One last question; will the editor need dynamic link i.e. the production premium installed, or will this opening of one project within another work if they only have Premiere?

• 5. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

No Dynamic Link necessary; at this point, you're just merging project files together, so Premiere Pro alone is fine. For that matter, you can go between PC and Mac, as well. At a base level, all you're really doing is copying XML from the template project file into the main project file, so it actually becomes part of the project. The nice thing about that is that you don't have to worry about the template file being altered--it's independent of the final project.

Here's a potential way to make the title update a little easier, based on your last description: when you create the title clip that contains the actual text, do so at the highest resolution you'll need, e.g. 1920x1080 HD. Then, in your lower resolution sequences, simply use that title clip and then use the Motion > Scale effect to fit the title into the template sequence. This way, all you need to do is alter the "master" title clip, and it will trickle down into all the lower resolution sequences as well. Might save a few moments...

• 6. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                    mttsmmnds Level 1

Colin, if you're still around I could use a little more help...

I need to make a static version — the solution you helped me arrive at is too complex for my editors (they're not editors, they're journalists with little or no editing experience).

I thought this would be very easy. Make a background with an alpha channel in photoshop, insert it to the title tool and add text. Unfortunately I can't get alpha channels to render properly in the title tool, the exact same background image looks great when I import it to the project like normal. So I feel like I've got the same problem — two layers instead of one title which I can save as a title template.

• 7. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Make a background with an alpha channel in photoshop, insert it to the title tool and add text. Unfortunately I can't get alpha channels to render properly in the title tool, the exact same background image looks great when I import it to the project like normal.

From Photoshop, are you saving as a PSD or some other format, e.g. TIF? When you say the alpha channels won't render properly, can you be more specific as to what is happening? A screenshot of what it looks like in the Titler or when placed in a sequence would be helpful.

(And I get you on the journalists My wife is a newspaper reporter and part of the newspaper's Grand Plan is to have print journalists shoot video when they're out on stories. Yep, it's THAT good )

• 8. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                        Prince_Myshkin Level 1

I've tried .psd, .tif and .png, all giving me the same problems.

Here's my .png as it looks when I import it the usual way via the project window.

Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 15.39.01.png

And this is the exact same image imported via the title designer tool.

Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 15.39.43.png

It clearly can't handle transparancy — it's either a solid or nothing, there's no inbetween. And it does a really crude job of clipping the edges. The annoying thing is I know Premiere can do it, I can see it for myself in the first grab and I'm sure I've seen images with good transparancy in the title presets on various tutorials (incidentally, I don't have any presets installed as we downloaded the production premium as a demo before getting the serial).

Thanks

• 9. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                          Prince_Myshkin Level 1

Sorry, looks like the second image didn't upload properly...

• 10. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                            Prince_Myshkin Level 1

Clearly not my day...

• 11. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

It clearly can't handle transparancy — it's either a solid or nothing, there's no inbetween. And it does a really crude job of clipping the edges. The annoying thing is I know Premiere can do it, I can see it for myself in the first grab and I'm sure I've seen images with good transparancy in the title presets on various tutorials (incidentally, I don't have any presets installed as we downloaded the production premium as a demo before getting the serial).

Ah, yes--you've stumbled upon a rather silly limitation of the Titler. Doesn't make a lot of sense, because you've noted, the Titler is capable of creating variable transparency. However, what you're referencing was probably not done with imported logos/graphics, but rather, elements built directly inside of the Titler.

If you create a shape with the Titler, e.g. a lower third bar, you can set the Fill mode to something like Linear Gradient. Similarly to how you can in Photoshop, you can set different opacities for the color stops in the gradient. Unfortunately, I think you can only create two color stops (and therefore, two opacity stops), but it's otherwise fairly capable.

The round logo might be a different story; I'm not quite sure how to work around that. Perhaps if you create a very slight gradient stroke along the perimeter of the shape in Photoshop, it might help visually soften the edges a bit.

I think you can get the templates and content here: Library content, functional content missing | Encore, Premiere Pro | CS5

• 12. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Per Jeff's suggestion, this was a reply in another thread:

Let's step back a bit, in the workflow.

What is the original format of that logo?

Is it starting out as an AI Vector Art image?

Obviously, you are working in PS at some time, hence the PSD. Is that correct?

In PS, are you Scaling the logo (from its original format)? If not, that would be my first change in workflow.

PrPro, will do better, if you have things pretty close to start. The less processing that you require of it, the better off you will be. When doing similar, I will use an Exported Frame as a guide/reference in PS, and then do all Positioning and Scaling there, before doing the final Save_As to PSD.

In most cases, I do as Dave suggests, and do not use the Logo insertion into Titler - just a separate PSD for the bug/logo.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Creating a preset title with animation
                                  mttsmmnds Level 1

The artwork started out as an exported frame from AE, so the positioning, scale and resolution were all perfectly set before coming into PrPro.

I tried a PSD, TIF and PNG, all gave much the same (very poor) results when imported as a logo. I realise I could have tried to create my elements in the titler to start with but the tools seem very limited.

My workaround was to create layered artwork in Photoshop and import them all one by one into the titler as logos, and edit the opacity there. The end product seems ok, with a few tiny alterations to the design, but such an incredibly laborious and seemingly stupid process to get there.

My original brief was to create title templates for non-editors (journalists throwing video clips together) to use without any fiddly workarounds, so I couldn't rely on them to import logos or animations to overlay onto the strap text or anything similar — it all had to be contained in the titler and saved as a preset.

The job's done now, but I find it hard to believe Adobe are so far behind Apple with this kind of thing. As I think I've mentioned previously in this thread, you can save Motion projects as templates for FCP, animations, imported assets and all. I assumed something similar would exist between AE and PrPro, but it either does not or it's very well hidden. That aside (maybe AE, being so much better than Motion, is just too complex to save as a title preset), I find it remarkable that the titler tool is so clunky and limited in what it can do — I can't even get it to import movie files, this is video editing software! I know AE can do everything, I've been working with it for years and I still learn something everyday, but that's no good if you need to make a PrPro title template for someone who doesn't use or even have AE.

I know all my moaning and whinging is useless until I make a feature request, but I'd be very grateful if someone can categorically confirm such features just aren't possible yet or whether I'm at fault and just haven't worked it out properly.

Many thanks for such quick and helpful responses.