8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2007 9:11 AM by Newsgroup_User

    Animations

    Boudeccea
      I am totally new to Fireworks. Previously I used Image Ready to open animations I got from my subscription site http://www.animationfactory.com. I would then pop them into Photoshop CS files and use them on the County's Government Access Channel. Now, since I got Photoshop CS3, I can't figure out how to open the animations (GIF files). I just need to open them with layers so I can export them into CS3. Am I going about this wrong? Animations have suddenly become sooooooooooooooooooo difficult!
        • 1. Re: Animations
          Level 7
          Unless you are tweaking the animations, there is no need to open them in
          any graphics program. Just put them in your webpage(s) using your
          favorite html editor.
          If you are tweaking them then you can just open them in FW and tweak away.

          alex

          Boudeccea wrote:
          > I am totally new to Fireworks. Previously I used Image Ready to open
          > animations I got from my subscription site http://www.animationfactory.com. I
          > would then pop them into Photoshop CS files and use them on the County's
          > Government Access Channel. Now, since I got Photoshop CS3, I can't figure out
          > how to open the animations (GIF files). I just need to open them with layers
          > so I can export them into CS3. Am I going about this wrong? Animations have
          > suddenly become sooooooooooooooooooo difficult!
          >
          • 2. Re: Animations
            Boudeccea Level 1
            I am not using them for web graphics, I am putting them in a Photoshop file for upload to our County's Government Access Channel on TV. So I need to be able to open them (with animations preferably) AND manipulate them.
            • 3. Re: Animations
              Level 7
              I found this discussion:
              http://tinyurl.com/2ouqtr
              http://designorati.com/photoshop/2006/how-to-create-animated-gifs-with-photoshop-and-witho ut-imageready/#comment-74218
              ______________________

              Joe
              Wed 25 Apr 2007 at 07:09

              Well I am glad they kept the Animation palette in Photoshop CS3 however
              you now have to buy Fireworks to view an animated GIF. Where all you had
              to do was open up the animated GIF in Image Ready and it displayed the
              the Animation in the layers making it easy to manipulate. Photoshop CS3
              will only display the first frame of the animated GIF and fireworks is
              way clunkier to use manipulating animated GIFs.


              Jeremy Schultz
              Thu 03 May 2007 at 03:20

              Unfortunately, Joe is right—I tried working with Photoshop CS3 Extended
              to open an animated GIF with frames intact but I don’t see a way to do
              this. For reasons unknown, Photoshop does have a Make Frames From Layers
              feature in the Layers palette so you can generate frames from layers,
              but you need the layers to begin with—and animated GIFs do not.

              It appears the Photoshop team still sees animated GIFs as a “final”
              output and aren’t expecting anyone to bring the GIF back into Photoshop
              to work with it. That’s what the layered PSD file is for. I don’t think
              that’s good reasoning, since many people (like myself) sometimes find it
              convenient to edit an animated GIF.


              Boudeccea wrote:
              > I am totally new to Fireworks. Previously I used Image Ready to open
              > animations I got from my subscription site http://www.animationfactory.com. I
              > would then pop them into Photoshop CS files and use them on the County's
              > Government Access Channel. Now, since I got Photoshop CS3, I can't figure out
              > how to open the animations (GIF files). I just need to open them with layers
              > so I can export them into CS3. Am I going about this wrong? Animations have
              > suddenly become sooooooooooooooooooo difficult!
              >
              • 4. Re: Animations
                heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                Photoshop CS3 only opens the first frame of any animated .gif file unfortunately.
                While choping off ImageReady and boosting the animation palette for video in Extended, they neglected to include the most rudimentary fuction - open an animated gif. You will have to resort to an earlier version for that.

                However if you have the original .psd's then you can open them in CS3 and they should appear in the animation palette.

                h
                h
                • 5. Re: Animations
                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                  As already noted above, you can simply use Firworks as it honors animated gifs via the Frames Panel.

                  But if it's essential to have them as .psd files try this:
                  - open animated gif in Fireworks CS3
                  - set the Optimize output to .jpg (convoluted, but the only way)
                  - then go File > Export > Frames to Files (save them a familiar location)

                  You should have a number of files (.jpg) matching that of the individal Frames content.

                  - open Photoshop CS3
                  - then File > Open (browse to the FIRST frame image sequence exported above)
                  - at the bottom of the Open dialog, tick Image Sequence
                  - enter Frame rate and you should have a new image video file to save as a .psd.

                  h
                  • 6. Re: Animations
                    Boudeccea Level 1
                    It isn't that I need them in the PSD format. I have a subscription to Animation Factory where I get a lot of my animations. In Image Ready I used to just save the graphics from their website as a GIF (which preserved the layers & the timings) then I would open it in Image Ready, make any changes I needed, and then just import it right into Photoshop CS. Now when I save the animated GIF from the Animation Factory website and try to open it in Fireworks (I open it as an animation), all I seem to get is a BMP image with no animation or layers. In other words, it never brings more than just one frame with it. No matter how I try to open this GIF's, I can't seem to get them to work.
                    • 7. Re: Animations
                      Level 7
                      Boudeccea wrote:

                      > In other words, it never brings more than just one frame with it. No
                      > matter how I try to open this GIF's, I can't seem to get them to work.

                      Try Importing it. File > Import.



                      --
                      Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                      http://www.projectseven.com
                      Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                      CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                      http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                      • 8. Re: Animations
                        Level 7
                        I am not seeing what you describe but maybe that is because I cannot
                        replicate the observations.

                        when an animated GIF is opened in FW it seems to have one page, two
                        layers (Background/bitmap and GIF/Bitmap) and well populated with frames
                        when viewed on Pages, Layers and Frames tabs.

                        Boudeccea wrote:
                        > It isn't that I need them in the PSD format. I have a subscription to
                        > Animation Factory where I get a lot of my animations. In Image Ready I used to
                        > just save the graphics from their website as a GIF (which preserved the layers
                        > & the timings) then I would open it in Image Ready, make any changes I needed,
                        > and then just import it right into Photoshop CS. Now when I save the animated
                        > GIF from the Animation Factory website and try to open it in Fireworks (I open
                        > it as an animation), all I seem to get is a BMP image with no animation or
                        > layers. In other words, it never brings more than just one frame with it. No
                        > matter how I try to open this GIF's, I can't seem to get them to work.
                        >