3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 11:20 AM by Harm Millaard

PC build advice CS5

rf9

Hi,

I'm currently planning a PC build to run CS5 mostly for web and graphic design running Photoshop and Illustrator. I have the production bundle and I'm planning to get into Premiere and AE so I'm taking this into consideration with my build. It's by no means a high end video editing build.

So here's what I've got so far:

i7-960

Cooler Master CM690 MKII advanced case

ASUS P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI

6GB Kingston Hyper-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz 3 x 2GB

Crucial SSD RealSSD C300 64GB

500GB WD Caviar Black WD5002AALX

1GB GeForce GTS450

Corsair 750W TX Series PSU

Win 7 64bit

I have a couple of hard drives I will probably add to the system

Any thoughts? My initial plan was for a Phenom ii x6 1090T but reading here it seems intel is the way to go. Shame as I've always had AMD, will I really notice the difference? I'm currently coping on an Athlon 64 2.0 Ghz

I haven't really got a clue about graphics cards, up until now I've used very cheap budget cards. I've read up on the Nvidia cuda stuff recently though, that's how I arrived at the GTS450.

Any advice much appreciated.

• 1. Re: PC build advice CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try to exchange the 3 x 2GB sticks for 3 x 4 GB and the SSD for a conventional disk. That should leave you with some $$ for extra disks.

Will you notice the difference between an AMD and an i7-960? Definitely. the i7 is nearly 3 times faster.

SSD's will only make a difference in your wallet, not in performance.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PC build advice CS5
            rf9 Level 1

Thank you for the reply Harm, unfortunately I've been caught up in the ssd hype and I already own a drive. I suppose quicker boot times will be a nice albeit a costly luxury. More memory would always be welcome, it depends on cost though. The switch to i7 has already thrown my original budget out the window.

Overal it seems a good start though? The upgraded psu seems to be common recommendation, I think 750 will give me plenty of options for the future. Any thoughts on the GTS450? Better than bog standard but will take adavantage of MPE was my thinking.

• 3. Re: PC build advice CS5
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Overall it seems like good components and the GTS 450 is a nice card too. Not overkill and the consequence it that your PSU is OK too. Had you opted for a more capable card like the 480/580, you might have needed to go for the 850W PSU version.