In IE ...
Uncheck 'Enable Protect Mode"
This eliminates the error message for me and allows me to save using File\Print\Adobe PDF Printer to any drive
It does leave an error message record in the printer queue which I have to manually delete.
Never had this problem with v9.4 and am regretting the upgrade
Yep. I'm going to have to retract that last statement with regard to v10.0.1. I also get the error message
I also found out this happens with my Vista install but NOT with my Windows 7 install (Dual boot setup).
Also, re-installing as Administrator doesn't help the situation.
I also found out that if I uninstall v10 and re-install v9.4, v9.4 works just fine.
I also have to clarify that no other app on my laptop generates this permission error, and I have quite a few apps.
And, this only happens using File\Print\Adobe PDF Printer. Using the 'Convert' macro works just fine.
So this is a localized issue (with the Adobe PDF Printer).
Thanks for the feedback. I did find another set of solutions offered by Microsoft - go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931277 . The webpage mentions Win Vista but I never had any problem in Vista using an older version of Acrobat Pro 8.0. I am currently using the Win 7 Pro OS and upgraded to Acrobat XPro (ver 10) at the same time. The MS KB 931277 states the cause as: This problem occurs if the hard disk drive or the flash device was formatted in an earlier version of the Windows NTFS file system. For example, this problem occurs if the drive or the device was formatted from Microsoft Windows XP.
Rather than reformatting my HD where I store my data (which was originally formatted while running XP OS), I elected to try the workaround to run the program as an Administrator. This solution did not work. The last solution offered on KB 931277 is something I have been using to date but it’s a pain to have to move each file after it is saved. When I have time, I will try the first suggested solution (off-load data and reformat the drive) unless someone else says that does not work as well.
WR Email: [email address deleted by host]
Mark: You did quite a lot of work on this. Thanks for that. I will confirm that the problem for me only occurs when I try to print something off a website using IE. No problem with any other apps.
One suggestion received from earlier today is to uncheck the "Enable Protected Mode" in IE (Tools-Internet Options-Security Tab) but decided not to as I didn't want to be at risk using IE.
I believe this is an issue that Acrobat XPro 10 has when printing from IE as I can print PDF files from websites using Safari.
Adobe needs to get on it.
WR [address deleted by host]
I can confirm that I am also having this issue.
I don’t have any problem in saving from another other file to any location on my PC, only when I print to the Adobe PDF printer.
This was not a problem with Adobe Acrobat Pro 8, but has only become a problem since installing Acrobat X Pro.
Why oh why are products released with such bugs? Who tests these things?
I am not switching off the safety of Protected Mode in Internet Explorer just to get around this issue.
As a temporary workaround I would suggest that you save in your own user directory, or on your desktop. Then you can move the resultant PDF to wherever it is that you need it.
In relation to the print queue, yes, this is another bug that has existed since at least version 8.
To correct it, see this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/1172559
1 - Open Control Panel / Printers
2 - Right click on the Adobe PDF printer icon
3 - One of the seven visible tabs will be named PORTS
4 Click on it, and you should see the "COM1 - Serial Port" box is checked, simply scroll down and check the "Documents\*pdf - Adobe PDF Port" instead (the other will uncheck itself)
The work around I have been using - and perhaps Adobe ONLY intended for the saving of files off the internet using IE to work this way --- was to click on the drop down menu called "Convert" that is part of the Adobe tool bar at the top left corner of the IE page and choose "Convert Web Page to PDF". You will be able to save your webpage to a file at a location you choose. Using this step will also clear up a problem I had where the text of the webpage did not convert properly from some websites (looked like a foreign language). Hope this works for you.