8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 11:28 AM by the_wine_snob

no data when opening trimmed archived project in PE8

wyzboing

I used project archiver to trim and archive several projects to my external hard drive to create space on my pc. I copied one of my projects back to my pc to work on it again but when I opened it I got the message that 'the file appears to have no media data'.  All the clips and other media are in the trimmed archived folder but do not appear in the project when it opens - only blank clips, no sound etc. in the time line. Only the titles are in tact. What is going on here? I thought the point of the project archiver was that it made copies of all the media so it didn't matter if they were subsequently deleted from or moved. I have deleted all the orginal projects and associated folders from my pc hard drive and have burned finished projects to dvd but I have a few projects I wish to revisit. Fortunately I still have most of the orginal media stored elsewhere so could recreate the projects from scratch as a last resort.

• 1. Re: no data when opening trimmed archived project in PE8
          nealeh Level 5

Working from an external drive it might be that the drive has changed it's drive letter from when you made the archive. Take a look in the project .prel file with notepad and see where it is looking at to find the media.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: no data when opening trimmed archived project in PE8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If what Neale suggests is correct in your case, see the last part of this ARTICLE on working with external HDD's.

What can, and often does, happen is that depending on the order that peripherals with mass storage are plugged in, or recognized by the OS, the drive letters can change. With externals, they can be assigned a unique drive letter, so that they ALWAYS appear as that drive letter. This is done in the OS of each computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: no data when opening trimmed archived project in PE8
              wyzboing Level 1

Many thanks for the article.  I will look at the info on the drive letter though I am not sure whether this is the problem in this case. However now I have looked, I have a sneaky feeling that the drive letter may have changed even though I always plug in using the same ports in the same order. I am not intending to edit directly to the external hd as I know the usb is slow  so thought I could copy the whole trimmed project back to my pc. Surely all the media should go with  the project in the same folder though I have noticed that music from my itunes folder stays offline. I have ecountered the 'cannot locate file' message in the past when media has been deleted or moved but this error message that the 'file appears to have no media data is a new one on me.  I have tried opening the project diretly from the external hard drive and by copying the trimmed project to my pc first and the problem exists both ways.  I have also tried opening other timmed archived projects from some time ago and the problem exists to varying degrees.  In some projects most of the media is present and in others it is all or mostly missing. It's inconsistent. This is just since transfer to my external hd as I am sure I checked the older projects in the past whilst archived to my pc and before deleting the original projects.  The more recent ones were archived direct to my external hd due to lack of space on my pc.

Thanks

• 4. Re: no data when opening trimmed archived project in PE8
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Copying over the full Project and folder structure from the external, should bring in the trimmed media.

Now, I do not use any iTunes music, but I have observed similar, with SmartSound. I used to create my SmartSound music in a separate folder, Movie_Music, and with either the Archiver, of with PrPro's Project Manager (very close to each other in what they do, and how they do it), none of the SmartSound music would come over. I have changed my workflow, and now create the SmartSound music in a folder, within the folder structure of the Project - everything gets archived now. I can only guess that it would be the same with iTunes, if you were to make a Copy of the iTunes music in a similar, Project related folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: no data when opening trimmed archived project in PE8
                  wyzboing Level 1

Brilliant.  Having copied the whole trimmed archive back to my pc and opened the .prel and then relocated the missing item in my i-tunes folder on my pc hd all the other items which had apparently been missing - video clips, .pse files etc, also magically reappeared in the timeline. The secret is not to click on the cancel button when the locate missing file dialogue box opens as this makes it appear as though everything is missing, even if it's not. Anyway it seems you were right about the archiver not copying i-tunes files over.

Many thanks

• 6. Re: no data when opening trimmed archived project in PE8
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    The secret is not to click on the cancel button when the locate missing file dialogue box opens as this makes it appear as though everything is missing, even if it's not.

You are correct. If you choose any option, besides using the Find to locate all of the Assets, the program assumes that one wishes to edit Offline. In most cases, they do not wish to do that. Then, the slope gets very slippery. If they do a Save of the Project, with all, or some Assets Offline, overwriting the PREL file, the only ways to link the media back is to manually do so, in the Project Panel, one file at a time, or to go to an AutoSave, and loose any later editing.

When faced with the "Where is file _____.avi?" the two courses of action should be:

• Use Find, to restablish the links
                    • Close down the Project with no Saving, and then find out where the files went to, and why they are missing. Then, one can move those to where the PREL last saw them. Lauch PrE, and Open that Project, and the files should be automatically linked. Remember: PrE's PREL uses absolute Paths for the links, so everything must match up 100%, or you will have the program asking "Where is it?"

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: no data when opening trimmed archived project in PE8
                      nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

none of the SmartSound music would come over. I have changed my workflow, and now create the SmartSound music in a folder, within the folder structure of the Project - everything gets archived now.

Nice workaround  - it solves my issue Re: Transferring Video Files without Losing Project Links

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: no data when opening trimmed archived project in PE8
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. Though I first encountered this with PrPro's Project Manager (very similar to the Archiver in PrE), when I tested my first archived Project, before doing any Deleting - where are my SmartSound files?!?!?! I puzzled for a bit, and then looked at the folder structures for the Assets that were perfectly Trimmed, and did export properly - my SmartSound files were in a different folder structure and on a different HDD. I went back to the Project (after Moving the SmartSound files to my Music folder under the Project), let PrPro ask, "Where is file SmartSound _____.WAV?," gave it the link, and it grabbed all of those SmartSound files just fine. I used Project Manager again, and this time, it had everything, like I had expected initially. My workflow changed that day. Normally, almost all Assets WERE in the Project's folder structure, but not my SmartSound files. I was worried about something in the SmartSound files, that smurfed Project Manager, but was relieved to find that it was just the location, that messed me up. Now, everything gets either created in, or Copied to, the Project's folder structure. Have not found any exceptions, and that has worked 100% - so far (hope I have not just jinxed myself).

Hunt