4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 8:40 AM by moreramplease

ram tests?

moreramplease

Hi,

I've been using CS3 since it came out on a q6600 cpu overclocked to 3.4 with 8GB ram, running first XP64 then Vista64.

I just finished a new build : Asus Rampage 3 Extreme, i7 970 6 core CPU, 24 GB ram, Geforce GTX 570 windows 7  and upgrading to CS5

I'm using DVCPRO100 mxf files and have about a 2 min comp. no effects.

I did 12 renders of it to a quicktime animation. Some with multi processing on (different settings as this page suggests)http://http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memory-settings-f or-after-effects-cs5-and-give-feedback.html   some with it off.    All with no anti virus running.

Ten of the twelve were between 3;40 and 3;47  the slowest was with the settings suggested in the chart from the link above - it was  4:20

The fastest was 2;21 with multi processing on, 3GB of ram left for other apps. 3GB minimum allocation per cpu ( I imediately re-rendered with the same settings and got 3:45?)

On my old computer (top of post) CS3 ram preview was only 28 sec. long  and it took 5:48 to render to quicktime.

The new computer ram previewed the whole 2min. comp  awesome!

But, why the big difference in fastest and slowest? (100% both with muti processing on)  Why not any discernable difference with muti processing on or off? and why a 2:21 render followed by a 3:45 render without changing any settings?

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.........dave

• 1. Re: ram tests?
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Did you change your drive setup? It could be I/O bottleneck.

CS5 handles multiprocessing much better. Is it an option for you to at least download the free trial to benchmark the results? I'm not sure (read: don't remember) how ready CS3 was to handle everything that you're throwing at it (64-bit OS, oodles or RAM, etc...).

Also, you might want to consider rendering to an image sequence when using multiple threads. It should improve performance and also yield reusable material in the event of a failed render.

• 2. Re: ram tests?
            moreramplease Level 1

I'm using the CS5 demo on  the new system.

Thanks but I wasn't  asking how to speed up the workflow,

I was asking why there was no difference between multi processing on or off.

And, why two of the test  renders on CS5 - one right after the other,  with no changes to the settings how one would be 50% longer?

thanks for the reply,,,,,,,,dave

• 3. Re: ram tests?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

davecarich wrote:

I was asking why there was no difference between multi processing on or off.

And, why two of the test  renders on CS5 - one right after the other,  with no changes to the settings how one would be 50% longer?

It has to do with the nature of your tests, I think. 

Earlier you wrote, "I'm using DVCPRO100 mxf files and have about a 2 min comp. no effects."

Processor-intensive effects like Remove Grain bring multiprocessing into its own.  Since you didn't have any effects to speak of, you couldn't see the difference.

Sometimes multiprocessing doesn't make much difference, as in your case.  Sometimes the data transfer rate of your storage trumps multiprocessing:  let's say you're compositing 50 layers of 4K clips -- that's a ton of data flying around, and you'd notice the difference in an external drive connected by USB2 and one connected by Firewire 800 in that instance.

It all depends on what you're making AE do for you.

• 4. Re: ram tests?
                moreramplease Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion Dave.

I'll make a more complex composition, with some effects and try the

settings recomended in the other thread again, and test some more.

I see there's a thread about the results of those settings here http://http://forums.adobe.com/message/3381387#3381387

so I guess I'll post my results there.  Thanks for your time...........dave