11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 3:33 AM by KOHBAH

Premiere Pro not closing

s.leupold

In the last week or so Pr Pro has not been fully closing when I exit out of it. The window closes without incident the issue is that it stays as an open process using up roughly 25% of my processor per instance and up to a gig of RAM. Every time I close Pr I have to go into the task manager and manually end the process (Image A). Pr does not show up under 'Applications' in task manager after I close it. If I don't manually end the Pr process they will pile up (Image B) for every time I open it. Image C shows my processor usage with one instance of Pr closed, but still sitting as a process.

I am running Pr Pro CS5 (as you can see in the images), Windows 7 64 bit, and Pr is updated. None of my other Adobe applications have this problem (AE, PS,SB etc).

Anyone know how to fix it, had similar problems, or can point me in the right direction? Need more information?

Image A:

Image A.PNG

Image B:

Image B.PNG

Image C:

Image C.PNG

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
          Jim_Simon Level 8

How long do you wait?  It can take a few minutes for the process to close fully.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
            s.leupold Level 1

I had never actually timed it to see if it would close. Just to see, I opened Pr, loaded up a project, closed it out,waited for 10 minutes, and sure enough it was still sitting as a process using 25% of my processor.

Like I said before it just started doing this a few days ago it use to work just fine.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
              Bemenis

I have had the same problem since installing Premiere Pro CS5.

It's also a problem with Encore.

The different is that Encore cannot start after closing whitout removing it from the ram.

Premiere Pro can have multible processes running i ram.

Hoping for a solution.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
                s.leupold Level 1

I hadn't used Encore in a while, so I decided to try it. I followed the same procedure that I did in Pr and after waiting 10 minutes Encore was still using 25% of my processor. Just to concur, I can't open up Encore again once it is sitting in RAM, either.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I've never seen it take more than a couple of minutes.  I don't have any ideas about why yours isn't closing.

Sorry.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
                    s.leupold Level 1

Oddly enough it started closing fully again, just recently. I don't think that I changed anything in my system at about the same time. As far as I know no PrPro updates were installed.

So, for now the problem seems to have fixed itself. Anyone know what could have caused this?

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
                      jkosmicki Level 2

I just checked and mine is still not closing. Let us know if you find the secret.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
                        Bemenis Level 1

I did a general cleanup on my hard drives.

Since the hard drive where the Adobe program is installed was filled

to near 90%, I moved some items.

In addition, I run all my security programs, like Malwarebytes, AVG

virus SpyDoctor and so on.

A few days after I discovered that Premiere and Encore completed in

the normal way over a few seconds from the memory.

So for now everything works normally.

I did not do any updating or reinstallation. So as s.leupold has

experienced, the problem seems to have been fixed.

but it will - especially for those who still have the problem - be

very interesting to know why this very annoying incident occurring.

2011/4/6 s.leupold <forums@adobe.com>:

Oddly enough it started closing fully again, just recently. I don't think that I changed anything in my system at about the same time. As far as I know no PrPro updates were installed.

So, for now the problem seems to have fixed itself. Anyone know what could have caused this?

>

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
                          s.leupold Level 1

I read gyklig345's post and realized that I had moved a number of my Steam games over to a second drive recently (my primary drive was becoming full also), which could have coincided with PrPro working properly. My drive had about 80-90 gigs of free space (320G/B drive) so it was not as(relatively) full as their drive, but it did clear up about 50G/B of space. Although I did not take down dates or anything like that so I can't say for sure if these two events were related. If I remember I will try moving them back and seeing if the problem returns.

Or if someone who has this problem has a harddrive that is filling, and you have a place to move files you can try it and post results.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
                            Admiral Cook Level 1

I had this problem with 5.0.0. Fixed by upgrading display driver.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro not closing
                              KOHBAH

I would like to confirm Admiral Cook. I removed old AMD Redeon Display Driver and install the new one. PP good now.