7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 8:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Upload issues of .prel video file from ext. hdd to another pc

mspeanutmm

I'm using one ext. hdd between

two pc's.  The first pc is Vista o/s and the second pc is windows 7.

I'm running out of system memory of the first pc so I needed to transfer the video file to the second pc.  When I uploaded the .prel file the music and several jpeg files did not port over.  Why did this happen?  How can I transfer completely?  I started to manually add back in the files but found that it's difficult since I am not able to add the saved narration files to specific slides easily.  When I do, an extra black box is created which I cannot delete.   Please advise.  Also, is there a way in which I can convert (or revert) the video back to slideshow mode?  If I can do this it would be the alternative solution to this problem.

• 1. Re: Upload issues of .prel video file from ext. hdd to another pc
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The .prel file is the project file. It is essentially a text file with links to all of your media files and cut and effects information.

You need to have all of the media files that are connected to it to create a project -- or to move a project to another drive.

The best way to move a projec is to use the Project Archiver,  under the File menu. This moves your project file, as well as any media files connected to it, to a new location as a single bundle. You will then be able to open the project and continue editing in the new location. (Although, as always, we recommend that you always edit a project with the same version of the program. You can run into trouble if, for instance, you begin a project in version 7 and later finish it in version 9.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upload issues of .prel video file from ext. hdd to another pc
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE discusses using external HDD's for editing Projects, and also migrating Projects between computers.

This ARTICLE goes into more detail on PREL files, and what they actually are.

When I do, an extra black box is created which I cannot delete.

Are you editing in Sceneline View Mode, or in Timeline View Mode. I strongly recommend the latter. If you are in Timeline View Mode, can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline, showing those "black boxes?" Also, place the CTI (Current Time Indicator) over one of those, and show the Program Monitor.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Upload issues of .prel video file from ext. hdd to another pc
              the_wine_snob Level 9

One addition to Steve's suggestion: when using the Project Archiver, check the source media. One little tripping point is if one has files scattered about a HDD, like music from iTunes, or as I found out with SmartSound in a folder on another HDD, those scattered files will likely be missed, when Project Archiver gathers up the media.

The way around this is to create a folder for such files, beneath the Project's folder structure, and Copy these Assets to it, before one Imports. That keeps everything together. With few exceptions, I am always working from Copies of Assets, and keeping the originals away from the Project, say on my NAS. I used to create all SmartSound in a Movie_Music folder on my D:\, but my Projects were often on other HDD's, like my Z:\ external. Now, and especially with SmartSound, I just create that in a "Music" folder, beneath my [Project Name] root folder, and all works perfectly. I seldom use iTunes music (licensing reasons), but if I do, I just Copy the file over to that same Music folder.

Good luck, and hope that this helps.

Hunt

PS - having all Assets in a folder structure below the Project's root folder, also makes cleanup easier - Delete the Project folder, and everything goes away too, except for any original Assets, which are safely on another HDD, as only the Copies are Deleted.

• 4. Re: Upload issues of .prel video file from ext. hdd to another pc
                mspeanutmm Level 1

You are a lifesaver!  I followed the project archiving steps and it was very helpful.  When I opened it up on the other pc, it transferred most of the files.  There were some files still missing so I manually uploaded again.

• 5. Re: Upload issues of .prel video file from ext. hdd to another pc
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news. The Project Archiver is a very useful tool, and especially for migrating a Project.

I address the issues with migrating, when starting a Project, and have learned to place EVERY Asset into a folder within the Project's folder structure. In my case, nearly all of these are Copies, and the originals are never touched again, and are safe on the NAS.

I discovered that Project Archiver (and PrPro's Project Manager - very similar function) did not gather Assets from around the system, but would, if I only made a Copy to Import and work with, in that Project's folder structure. That also makes cleanup much easier.

Good luck, and glad that Steve got you where you wanted to be.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Upload issues of .prel video file from ext. hdd to another pc
                    mspeanutmm Level 1

Thank you Steve for your guidance on the use the project archiver.  You are a lifesaver too!  You, along with Bill, have already helped me tremendously!

• 7. Re: Upload issues of .prel video file from ext. hdd to another pc
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Steve,

Totally OT here, but your Adobe PM mailbox is full.

Can you move this THREAD out to the main forum, from Tips & Tricks? I'd like for the OP to see more options for Rotating a PiP, than the option that I gave.

Thank you,

Hunt