10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2011 1:03 PM by Mylenium RSS

After Effects error: Creating a resource file

M.Rueb

Hi everyone

I'm administrating a machine with several users mainly using After Effects. The machine runs on Windows 7 64 bit.

I recently had to install videocopilots Optical Flares. Everything runs fine on my admin account but if i open AE on a user account i get an error message while on the loading screen. It says:

After Effects error: Creating a resource file "c:insert path to OpticalFlares.aex here" (might be a bit different in english as i translated this from german)

Every user has full read and write permission on the AE support files folder. Has anyone ever had such an error? All other plugins work as they should on every account.

Thanks for any hints!

Michael

• 1. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
          Mylenium MVP

I suggest you provide the error code in its full German beauty along with any number pair it may show. This would help to find out if thise a mundane permissions issue (usually 3 :: xx generic file I/O errors) or a deeper potential issue with OF running on your system (internal plug-in errors have otehr numbers). In any case, investigating the permissions issue is the first thing to do. This could well be the plug-in not being able to save its prefs and workspace layout preset file.

Beste Grüße

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
            M.Rueb Community Member

Ok i didn't think i'ld find german support on an international board right away but great!

The error message is as follows:

After Effects Fehler: Erstellen einer Ressource Datei 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5\Support FilesPlug-ins\Optical Flares\OpticalFlares.aex'.

(3§0)

The first thing i thought about as an permission issue as well but as said in my initial post every user has full read and write permission in the AE support files folder and every sub folder. I just don't get what i'm missing here.

Gruß zurück

Michael

• 3. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
              Mylenium MVP

I still think it is a permissions/ user privileges/ policies/ security issue - if it runs on one account, it is unlikely the plug-in is damaged or you installed the 32bit version in CS5 or vice versa. I strongly suspect the plug-in is unable to probe your graphics card and thus never initializes. Perhaps it's being blocked by some security tool or your user account doesn't have the permissions to load system drivers. The latter can be fixed by changing the respective entry in your group policy editor (gpedit.msc). The respective point would be in Computerkonfiguration --> Windows-Einstellungen --> Sicherheitseinstellungen --> Lokale Richtlinien --> Zuweisen von Benutzerrechetn --> Laden und Entfernen von Gerätetreibern. And of course temporarily turn off security stuff to verify it's not the problem.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
                M.Rueb Community Member

By now i'm pretty sure it is some kind of permission issue as well. The question is just what and where

The only security tool running on that machine right now is the windows firewall. It has no virus scanner or anything else installed as it got no connection to the internet.

Unfortunately your hint with the group policy editor didn't work. Same error message as before and no plugin showing up in AE. Do you have any idea about those numbers in the error? It could help if i knew what they're trying to tell me.

What surprises me is that every other plugin works perfect with access to the graphics card and everything. You could assume that the user permissions as they are right now are fine.

Michael

• 5. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
                  Mylenium MVP

Unfortunately 3 :: 0 is just a generic file I/O failure. To further track down the issue, you may need to use a tool like Sysinternals' Process Monitor. Set it to filter on AfterFX.exe and Optical FLares.aex and see when it attempts to create files or specific registry keys. Having that info might  offer some clues.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
                    M.Rueb Community Member

I just found another approach. I installed the plug-in with a user account just to check back for one last time that i really got full permissions on that folder. Videocopilot works with a license file you have to generate online and copy it into the folder of the plug-in. However if i use the same license file i generated with the admin account it refuses to use it and asks me to create a new one. I got the impression that the licensing system of videocopilot got a problem with using several accounts on one machine. I contacted them and hope they can help me with it.

Thanks for the hint with Sysinternals. I'll try that if i can't get it fixed with the videocopilot support.

Michael

• 7. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
                      Mylenium MVP

Mmh, you should actually only have to put one license file in the same directory where the AEX file resides and that would be valid for all users. Or are you by any chance using the plug-in folders associated with your account where the Mediacore stuff is supposed to go? I wouldn't do that. Just place the OF stuff in your normal AE plug-ins folder...

Mylenium

• 8. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
                        M.Rueb Community Member

Everything is in the normal AE plug-in folder as it should. I just deleted the plug-in with the admin account and copied the files (including the license file) back in the plug-ins folder with a user account to make 100% sure i got read and write permission on that folder. AE loads the plg-in but gives me the message about not having a valid license file on the user account.

I know that one file should work for all accounts but somehow it doesn't. That's what i wrote the videocopilot support and hope to get some feedback on.

Michael

• 9. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
                          M.Rueb Community Member

Just a short update on that problem. It is a problem with the accounts in Windows 7 and the CS5 version of Optical Flares.

The guys at videocopilot were able to duplicate the error and are working on it.

• 10. Re: After Effects error: Creating a resource file
                            Mylenium MVP

Nice to hear. Thanks for letting us know.

Mylenium