11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 11:37 AM by Crist OC/PC

Hardware budget division ...

Martin McCoy Level 1

Newb, so please forgive me if I miss anything totally obvious to the rest of you here!!

I have to build/spec a new PC for my girlfriend who is getting CS5 Premiere and After Effects. Budget is tragically low to start, but with more low funds trickling in later. The four things I understand to be be key for CS5 are : Cores, speed, memory, graphics card. I need to prioritize these now. Two solutions seem to throw themselves at me:

Starting point1) SandyBridge 2600K with 4Gb and a 500Gb. Then as funds permit, upgrades in this order: add a single SLI capable card, then memory up to 8 or 12, then add a second 500Gb for Raid, then second SLI card, finally a SSD for system. Initial limitation is the HD3000 Intel graphics. Is that REALLY a problem? Or does it really use RAM very well?

Starting point 2) i7 870 with 4Gb, a GTX460, and 500/1000Gb. Upgrades in order: memory up to 8/12, second HD, second sli 460, SSD.

Either option will eventually have a USB 3.0 Black Magic Shuttle plugged in to it.

Looks to me like start point 2 system is better performing to start, but has less total potential, whilst start point 1 is down a bit initially because of the HD3000, but then has fantastic upgrade potential.

As a general point: with CUDA cores and RAM seeming to me to be the two most crucial part of CS5's requirements, does the mothboard and CPU REALLY matter that much, or is it really no more than a device to hang a pair of SLI 460's off of, and plug tons of memory into? ie: does the board and CPU really matter? In which case, is the AMD hex a possibility too? Or not really?

Sorry if this has all been covered before, but if it has, I couldn't find it.

Your inputs very much welcome.

MM

• 1. Re: Hardware budget division ...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Forget all considerations about SLI. It just is not supported. EOM. Saves you a couple $$$.

AMD hex cores are a joke and not suitable for editing.

The Sandy Bridge platform is severly limited and has no upgrade potential. Look here: Adobe Forums: Tapeless workflows and Sandy Bridge or...

Your starting point should be an i7-9xx on a X58 mobo with 12 GB memory and a GTX 460 video card plus at least two 7200 RPM SATA disks. Do not waste money on SSD's, they are only good in emptying your wallet.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hardware budget division ...
            JEShort01 Level 4

Martin,

Interesting challange indeed!

I'm going to make a few suggestions and then summarize with a suggested plan that gives you more RAM and drives up front while saving the GPU for later.

Suggestions:

- Read first post in, "How changes to CPU speed, RAM size, and drives (SSD and hard drives) impacted my PPBM5 score"; Premiere Pro CS5 needs to be "fed" for keys as you put it, but you left out disk speed (and disk configuration) - let's call them: CPU (speed and cores), Disks (I/O), RAM (mostly how much), and GPU (correct card allows for MPE to be utilized).

- Does she plan on gaming too? (You mention SLI later and this does nothing at all for Premiere Pro)

- Overclocking helps a lot; if setting her up with some level of OC is something that you plan to do, then it would be best to nail down cpu, RAM, and cpu cooler first thing so you do not have to redo a lot of potentially time consuming setup later on

- Don't even look at AMD; it's Intel all the way for CS5

Bottom line plan, we'll call it plan 3:

- i7-950 w/ aftermarket cooler (Coolermaster 212 works well on a budget)

- 12GB RAM (in 3x4GB stick configuration using a brand of memory that allows for 6x4GB of the same RAM to be used with YOUR motherboard choice)

- 1TB OS/programs drive (you will need to load some of CS5 files initially with only 2 drives and the bigger drives have increased transfer rates over similar smaller drives)

- 1TB data drive (2x1TB would be even better if you can find older gen. 7200 RPM drives where you live; i.e. 1TB 7k1000.c Hitachi's are close to $50 is USA now)

- inexpensive 2D video card by NVidia (better not to mix GPU drivers later on)

- I like what I hear about Sandy Bridge, but you since you are wanting LOW cost at the start, all 1366 components are likely to be priced lower for coming weeks

Progression:

- GPU upgrade will massively improve your timeline renders (again, SLI will never be required); GTX 460 1MB brings a ton to the party, but beyond that you will not much gain - I was using a GTX 460 1MB Hawk OC'd to 850 and now use a GTX 480 at 850 and I really can't tell too much difference between the two so far as CS5 is concerned)

- mostly adding disks along the way, and that's pretty simple

- Intel's RAID manager allows for on-the-fly upgrading from a single 1TB to a RAID0 setup (make backups first!)

- Read up Harm's great articles here on how to configure RAID, what parts of CS5 to put on which disk, etc.

- a potential growth to 24GB may help your DVD (MPEG2) creation time; it should help After Effects too

- Black Magic Shuttle (you said it's planned, I'm pleading ignorant on that upgrade)

Jim

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Hardware budget division ...
              Martin McCoy Level 1

Wow, that was fast! Thanks guys, input very much appreciated. Interesting that the 870 makes its way on to the list.

Would it then make sense to go with an 870, stuff it up to 12Gb, and spend the amount saved by going 870 rather than 950 into a bigger and better card?

That kind of relates to my original wondering about budget division. Here's a bit less on the CPU, a bit more on the memory, and a lot more on the card, and then add another HD later.

Make sense?

MM

• 4. Re: Hardware budget division ...
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Current prices over here: i7-870 € 243, i7-950 € 233. The 950 is not only slightly less expensive, but has better performance, due to the platform.

The 870 should only be used with 8 or 16 GB (dual channel memory), the 950 only with 12 or 24 GB (triple channel memory).

• 5. Re: Hardware budget division ...
                  JEShort01 Level 4
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Wow, that was fast! Thanks guys, input very much appreciated. Interesting that the 870 makes its way on to the list.

Would it then make sense to go with an 870, stuff it up to 12Gb, and spend the amount saved by going 870 rather than 950 into a bigger and better card?

That kind of relates to my original wondering about budget division. Here's a bit less on the CPU, a bit more on the memory, and a lot more on the card, and then add another HD later.

Martin,

Harm is indeed correct! With current pricing in the USA the i7-950 is a better buy than the i7-870. I'll edit plan 3 above to reflect this fact as well.

Questions:

- What will this PC be used for other than CS5 Premiere and After Effects?

- What other components are you planning for this build (case, power supply, etc.) that are currently within your budget?

Jim

• 6. Re: Hardware budget division ...
                    Crist OC/PC Level 2

"Here's a bit less on the CPU, a bit more on the memory, and a lot more on the card, and then add another HD later."

1-I will Always considerate the CPU as the most important thing. 

2- Are you goint to O.C. your pc??? That will make a big speed difference  +-30%

3- The hard disk confi is the KEY for the good Hardware comunication.

4- X58 BOARD at the moment is the most use full plataform.

Final words:

If you whant to built this pc steep by steep do no fear, get a i7950 and if you can afford i7970 even better, 3X4 RAM, Air cooling system, agood case, 850PWS, and you can start with 1 disk O.S., 2 disk Raid0 and 1 for backup.

B.R.

Cristobal.

• 7. Re: Hardware budget division ...
                      Martin McCoy Level 1

And just to complicate things, we've just been offered an iMac 27" i7 - for a very decent price. Would that be adequate to get her up and running with CS5?

MM

• 8. Re: Hardware budget division ...
                        Crist OC/PC Level 2

NOOOOOOOOOOO.

What is the price you got for the mac???

Tel me and we make  give you many other betters options.

• 9. Re: Hardware budget division ...
                          Crist OC/PC Level 2

Where are you from??

• 10. Re: Hardware budget division ...
                            Martin McCoy Level 1

The UK ... land of expensive hardware ...   ...   ...