12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2008 7:35 PM by abeall

FW CS3 Text bug?

philbraun

After working in Fireworks all weekend for loads of site navigational elements, I now have to change the font size for a great many entries. For some unfathomable reason, Fireworks CS3 now suddenly refuses to change font sizes in those documents.

Actually, it does change size in 1 out of 5 documents (they are all copies of each other, in different languages).
      But only as long as I don't open any of the other 4 documents and try to change something there -- do that before I open the one working document, and it stops working as well. Do that after making changes in that one document, and it stops working too.

All of these documents use the exact same font (same size, same colour)!

The "helpful" warning says «Could not complete your request. The selection was incorrect for this operation.» and only appears once, unless I quit and restart Fireworks.

Using the Editor by right-clicking into the text field, everything works OK.

How can I get FW back to usable state... any ideas? Rebooting does not help.
      (MacBook Pro, 3GB RAM, OS X 10.4.9, Fireworks CS3)

TIA!
        • 1. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
          Level 7

We need more information. How many documents do you have open at once?
          Are they all different pages in a single document based on a master page?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
            philbraun Level 1
            Hi Linda

I mucked around a little bit more in those documents, not being able to accept defeat.
            It now appears that deleting the document's second frame (rollover state) resolves the problem.

However, I still don't see why this happens, nor how I should be able to make sense of the error message. And even after having worked in a document with only 1 frame: opening a document with 2 frames, trying to change a font size there, will make FW stop being able to change font sizes in all open documents, even after closing the "offending" document; one has to quit and restart FW.

As to your question: I only opened 1 document at a time, two at the most to be able to test the "now it works, not it don't" sequence of things (quitting and restarting FW between tests). They are all separate documents, not based on any master page as far as I am aware of.

Thanks looking into this!
            • 3. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
              gottib
              I have exactly the same error: getting this weird message and my fontsize won´t change. the workaround with the editor works too. really anoying. I have only one doc with pages, layers, sublayers and frames used.

work with MBP 2,0Ghz MacOSX 10.4.9 Fireworks Cs 3 of course
              • 4. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
                philbraun Level 1
                Gottlib - try deleting frames. The text input seems to not like documents with multiple frames; at least that worked here. YMMV. However, why that should be the case, I have no idea.
                • 5. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
                  gottib Level 1
                  philbraun - thanks for workaround. i will try this and give you a response here. but in general this is bad because i use the frame function to simulate interface interaktion (ie. opening layers etc.) adobe should fix this quick.
                  • 6. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
                    HatM
                    I have the same problem, but not only for font size edit, but for any other function of the property panel. And now on more functions like ungroup objects.
                    I use several layers, frames and pages at the same time.
                    Deleting frames and pages is not a work aound for me, as I would loose Fireworks' great practical usability functions and it would be as if I've simply used Photoshop that does not do the same job, and I would have 20 files in stead of an optimalised one.

This problem occured as well in previous versions of Fireworks too, when it was under Macromedia supervision. Then, I thought files with single frames had too many objects to be handled.
                    Is it a Fireworks limit?
                    • 7. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
                      Level 7
                      HatM wrote:
                      > I have the same problem,

Which problem is that? You didn't quote the thread you were following,
                      so those of us reading your post via the NNTP forum can't tell what you
                      are referring to.

--
                      • 8. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
                        HatM Level 1
                        Problem:

quote:

«Could not complete your request. The selection was incorrect for this operation.» and only appears once, unless I quit and restart Fireworks.

message while trying to change text font size, horizontal scale, font type and other features from the Text tool properties panel. Features available from the text editor panel

Other Problem giving the same message: trying to ungroup a masked picture, while not the mask was selected, but the picture.
                        • 9. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
                          Level 7
                          HatM wrote:
                          > Problem:
                          >
                          >
                          quote:

?Could not complete your request. The selection was incorrect for this
                          > operation.? and only appears once, unless I quit and restart Fireworks.

> message while trying to change text font size, horizontal scale, font type and
                          > other features from the Text tool properties panel. Features available from the
                          > text editor panel

Are you sure the text hasn't been converted to paths?

> Other Problem giving the same message: trying to ungroup a masked picture,
                          > while not the mask was selected, but the picture.

Check the layers panel to be sure the mask group hasn't been flattened.

--
                          • 10. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
                            HatM Level 1
                            quote:

Are you sure the text hasn't been converted to paths?

If it was converted to paths, would it show the text editor or the text property panel, wouldn't it? I don't think so. So I am sure that text is still text. And the text properties panel functions dosn't work.

quote:

Check the layers panel to be sure the mask group hasn't been flattened.

Layers panel is always open, and I see that there is still a mask on the symbol. If it has been rendered, while trying to ungroup it, it wouldn't show any message at all. And while trying to ungroup the object, the object is selected, not the mask. However, it would ungroup it the same. But it doesn't.
                            • 11. Re: FW CS3 Text bug?
                              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                              For those having text issues, it's best to post an original png file that is casuing the issue so others can confirm.

h