10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 8:54 AM by the_wine_snob

[PE9] noise or no sound when exporting

Argh Blargh

I'm putting together a video from a trip. After a while, my computer started getting slow and Premiere Elements almost instantly showed a memory error when opening my project. So I arranged a faster computer to borrow for a while, which solved the memory problem.

Now I want to share/produce/export my project as a movie, so I can watch it and write down things I want to change. Rendering as an avi results in an "unknown error", other formats seem to work fine apart from the sound. I either get a continuous noise or no sound at all. I literally tested every output possibility in PE9.

I assume it's not the project itself, because I did preliminary exports before which looked and sounded fine. The difference is: those exports where made on my own computer, the one that got to slow in the end. So it's not the footage used, everything sounds just fine in PE itself.

The new computer is brand new, with barely anything installed except for PE9, Windows, VLC and Chrome. Is it possible the computer lacks the proper audio encoder(s)? I thought those would be installed with PE9...

So in short:

- old computer exports movies perfectly fine, but when I open my project PE9 exits immediately, due to not enough memory. I simply can't open my project anymore.

- new computer can handle the load, but produces noise or silence instead of the sound.

I exported two very short clips, one in MPG and one in MP4, the export settings are in the filenames. Both clips are the same content-wise and you should hear a bit of Johnny Cash as the soundtrack. But you won't.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4832845/HD%20720p%2030.mpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4832845/iPod%20and%20iPhone%20-%20High%20Quality.mp4

• 1. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be a number of things -- from missing codecs to missing or outdated drivers (yes, even on a brand-new computer) to problems with the source media.

It's impossible to say without much much more information.

Has this new computer (which I assume is Windows 7) been updated to SP1?

What format is the music in? (It should be a WAV file.)

What kind of camcorder did your original video come from? Which project setting did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

Are you finishing your project in the same version of the project (version 9) that you started it in?

What happens if you output using WMV or MOV file using one of the program standard Share presets?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, a couple of questions:

What are the full specs. of all source files, both AV, and Audio-only?

Do you have any MP3 Audio in this Project?

Have you updated the Audio driver in the new machine, from say the Realtek Web site?

Have you checked all of the settings, in both the OS's Control Panel, and in PrE's Audio and Audio Hardware settings from Edit.Preferences?

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on the possible Audio settings, in most places.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Looks like Steve beat me to most of those questions - took too long for me to get the link to the Audio Settings article...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
              Argh Blargh Level 1

Sorry, it's been a while since I had the time to dive into PE9 again. I updated the audio drivers and installed Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. That seemed to solve the problem briefly, because when I exported a short bit of the project, I had the correct sound. When I tried it again a while later, it was the old noise again. Very weird...

I continued my project in a new project (because the first one seems to be too much for PE9 to handle) and when I export bits of the new project, everything is fine. So it's probably a file used in the first project that causes the mayhem. Maybe one of the mp3's I'm using, although they're all self ripped from my own cd collection.

Still weird that it renders ALL of the sound useless when exporting. Also, PE9 doesn't indicate file problems (as I've seen in the past, with the little yellow danger triangle in the bottom left corner). I guess I'll have to split the project up in several smaller projects and see if I can isolate the troublemaker that way.

I didn't have the time yet to figure out the video codec used, but all footage is from the same camera and the mp3's used are self ripped. The computer has now been updated to the max.

I did however start the first project in PE8 and continued with PE9 later, when I moved to a new computer. But that shouldn't cause my audio to be messed up, should it? Using any of the standard presets results in noise or silence. I've tried them all

Also, when I export the new project (which was started in PE9), it exports to avi just fine. When I try avi in the first project (started in PE8, continued in PE9), I get the "unknown" error and exporting to avi or wmv is not possible.

• 4. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
                nealeh Level 5

Argh Blargh wrote:

I did however start the first project in PE8 and continued with PE9 later, when I moved to a new computer. But that shouldn't cause my audio to be messed up, should it? Using any of the standard presets results in noise or silence. I've tried them all

Also, when I export the new project (which was started in PE9), it exports to avi just fine. When I try avi in the first project (started in PE8, continued in PE9), I get the "unknown" error and exporting to avi or wmv is not possible.

Theoretically PRE9 should be backwards compatible, but empirically it really is not a good thing to do. More often than not it results in problem projects. Your best bet is to open your PRE8 project with PRE8 and then export as DV-AVI for use in PRE9. Be aware though that effects created with PRE8 will not be editable once you have exported to DV-AVI.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In my books, I always recommend that you do NOT start a project in one version of the program and finish it in another. It almost always leads to buggy behavior.

Audio problems are particularly common.

• 6. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
                    Argh Blargh Level 1

Well, I didn't find the solution but I did find a workaround. I opened up the project with the problems and saved it as a copy. Then, I deleted half of the montage so the first half hour of the hour long montage would remain. Boom, magic, I could export to avi (no unknown error anymore) and the sound is fine.

I did the same with the second half of the montage (took the full project and deleted the first half) and results were the same: no exporting problems, no sound problems. I still don't know what caused the problem (starting a project in PE8 and finishing it in PE9 or maybe one+ hour of Full HD footage is too much for PE), but I'm glad it's kinda solved.

I'll make sure to keep my projects at half an hour length tops and in the end I'll put all the avi's in one project and export the whole thing. Fingers crossed it doesn't go wrong there

Thanks all for the suggestions!

• 7. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
                      nealeh Level 5

Argh Blargh wrote:

I'll make sure to keep my projects at half an hour length tops and in the end I'll put all the avi's in one project and export the whole thing. Fingers crossed it doesn't go wrong there

Pleased to hear the export tip helped, but you shouldn't need to time limit your projects unless you have inadequate free disk space. Try with a completely fresh PRE9 project. To test you could always create a ½hr timeline and then copy it two to four times to create a movie between one and two hours - that should give some assurance as to whether or not you can work with larger projects.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting, but at least you got the Project completed.

I looked, but did not see how much defragmented free space you have on your computer.

It almost sounds like you are running out of free space for the Export/Share, and the smaller segments fit. Now, I could be totally wrong on this, but it's one thing that I would look into.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
                          Argh Blargh Level 1

I have about 400 GB of free space left, so I think that's not an issue. I guess it's just one of those 'computer things', where every once in a while something happens for no good reason at all

• 10. Re: [PE9] noise or no sound when exporting
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for that info. I completely agree with you - 400GB should be more than adequate, so long as the HDD is formatted NTSF, and not FAT-32.

Good luck,

Hunt