10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 3:29 PM by msp1518

Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing

msp1518 Level 1

Gents and ladies, please forgive this question. I know there will be a FAQ or video somewhere that will shine a light on this, but so far I have not found it.

Say I shoot footage with a Canon 60D. I then move that footage off the card and onto my hard drive. What are my next steps? I had thought you just open up Premiere Pro and go to work, but I am seeing I have to uncompress the footage?

In reading numerous FAQs and watching countless videos I am not seeing that step, despite seeing it refered to in various posts from other forums or in articles.

Where can I see a tutorial for morons like me who just don't know and who want a "For Dummies" approach? What am I missing here? This forum must have the answer, but it is a big place and I have not found it as of yet.

Related example: I did a short in January that was shot on a 7D and edited in Final Cut Pro (latest, installed on a Macbook pro, core2duo 3ghz I think). My editor is out of the country so I cannot actually ask her these questions, but in looking at the hard drive I have for that project, there are the files that have the date and shot in the name and I am certain they were used for editing, but then there are what appear to be the original files from the SD cards. So were the original files then somehow uncompressed and renamed? I feel so stupid for asking. Please forgive me.

The renamed files play very stuttered on my PC. In fact, ProRes stuff seems to suck wind on my PC. Yes, I have a PC. Not a Mac.

Some 60D footage I shot last week that I dumped onto my drive and opened in Premiere Pro plays beautifully in the editing windows. But again, I ddn't uncompress it, whatever that means. Most HD stuff that I play on VLC is perfect, with no dropped frames. In Premiere Pro, it's a mixed bag.

Oh yes... when I play back I do not have it play at full rez. Just 1/2 or even 1/4 if it will let me.

My system specs...

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Shuttle FX38

Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz

8GB DDR2 ram

nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb

Samsung HD502HJ 500GB 7200rpm drive for OS

WD Green drive for storage, but I am planning on buying two esata externals (7200rpm, of course).

• 1. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Premiere Pro edits natively; you simply import footage and edit, if you can. If your system isn't up to snuff, editing processor-intensive formats like the H.264 MOVs that come out of a Canon DSLR is likely going to be a painful experience.

Your system specs are pretty low for editing this format, so short of upgrading your system, you'd have to look into a proxy workflow--in other words, you have to work similarly to how FCP does. This involves you dumping all your clips into AME (for example), and transcoding to either a less-compressed--and therefore, much more storage-dependent--format, or to a low resolution, interframe compressed format. Either is space- and time-consuming, and you'd probably be looking at having to replace the latter proxies with the originals when done editing so that your exports can be as high quality as they can.

The bottom line is that you need to decide whether its worth the money to upgrade, or worth the time to transcode to proxies and then relink to the originals when done. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
            msp1518 Level 1

Colin, thank you. So basically if I have a screaming system, the proper thing to do is just move the 60D footage from the card onto the drive and edit. There is no additional step, right?

Now, my system is slow for today's standards and I cannot upgrade at the moment, but I do not mind going through the tedious process you you describe if that means I can edit myself and then later, when I have my final cut, can then go back to the original high rez files and create my final product.

Is there a FAQ on that somewhere? I certainly have not seen one. I'll need to start reading right now.

Same topic, a friend of mine has a very powerful new Mac with CS5. Would it be possible to do as we just discussed on my PC and then finish on his system, despite it being a Mac?

• 3. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              the proper thing to do is just move the 60D footage from the card onto the drive and edit. There is no additional step, right?

There are two important steps missing:

• Import you Clips from the HDD, and into a Project.
              • You create a Sequence Preset to match that footage (or in CS5, just drag a Clip to the New Icon at the bottom of the Project Panel).

Then you can edit natively.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Same topic, a friend of mine has a very powerful new Mac with CS5. Would it be possible to do as we just discussed on my PC and then finish on his system, despite it being a Mac?

The PRPROJ files (Project files) are X-platform, so no issue there. The trick is to make sure that all Assets are available, and are seen in the same absolute Path on each platform.

Note: there are some Effects and Transitions that are on the PC, but not on the Mac. Beware of using any of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  So basically if I have a screaming system, the proper thing to do is just move the 60D footage from the card onto the drive and edit. There is no additional step, right?

Absolutely; couldn't be easier. This is really the true beauty and power of native format support, where you can just plunk files into Premiere and begin editing, without the need for any sort of additional workflow steps. Frankly, the other "A" editing applications are still catching up in this regard.

The corollary to that is that you do need a more powerful system to handle some of the newer codecs and formats; Canon DSLR footage is a good example of this. I've got a fairly middle-of-the-road system that I built last summer, and it eats Canon footage (primarily from a 7D, but it's the same as your 60D) for breakfast

Is there a FAQ on that somewhere? I certainly have not seen one. I'll need to start reading right now.

I don't know that I've seen a specific FAQ or workflow tutorial on this subject, but here's the basic gist: what you're doing is transcoding a difficult-to-edit codec or format into one that requires less of the editing computer. There are lots of options in this regard, but some will work better in your scenario than others.

Since you're dealing with MOVs, and you're looking to relink to higher resolution files when done editing (the fancy Hollywood word for this is "online"), you'll want to stick with MOV. The reason is that you can do a simple bait-and-switch replacement of the proxies (those are the low resolution versions) with the originals, so long as you maintain the file names and extensions. When you're ready to online the project, you just take the proxies offline--in other words, move them so Premiere can't find them--and then put the originals back in place. So long as everything matches up, Premiere will use the originals and you'll have a project ready for export.

Codec choices would be the next topic. Once you select QuickTime as your format, you have a lot of choices; you'll have to do a little experimentation here to find which one works best with your system. I'd start with Photo JPEG and Motion JPEG, and you can turn down the quality level quite a bit since you're there, since you're just looking to create editing placeholders. The most important thing to remember is to keep your frame size, frame rate, and audio channels the same--this will prevent any unnecessary extra work once you're onlining. Again, do some experimentation to find out what your system will tolerate; if the time and space isn't an issue, make ease-of-playback a priority.

Once you find a combination that works, create a preset in AME, drag in all your source files, apply the preset and encode away. When done, you can begin editing using your proxies. After your edit is complete, you can move the original files and the project file to your "finishing" system and online the project, do your final tweaks and color correction and such, and then export.

After all of that, you'll see why you'll want to save your pennies and dimes for a new system

Let me know if that leaves you with more questions than answers

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
                    msp1518 Level 1

Wow, I think my head just exploded. Way beyond me technically, but I did get what you were advising, I think. I have some more research to do. Much reading. much experimentation.

This does help. No doubt. So many thanks to you.

• 7. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Heh. I need a signature line that says something like, "Exploding heads like a bad Scanner since 2007."

I might be able to give you some more specifics; what frame size and frame rate are you planning on shooting with the 60D? Let me know that, and I can work up a more specific workflow guide, and perhaps a way to make it even easier to edit the proxies.

• 8. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
                        msp1518 Level 1

That would be a good signature. Copyright it.

My biggest concern is actually editing a Super 8mm short I am going to do. I'll shoot Super 8mm and then have thenegatives scanned at a minimum of 1080p. 2k if I can. But what format to have the scans delivered at is the serious question. So many places work primarily with ProRes and since I do not have a Mac, I need something that my PC + CS5 will like.

So if you can help me with that, you're golden. In the end, when my edit is complete, I want to have the ability to create pristine Blu-Rays and more importantly, have 1080p or better Digital protection in theaters.

• 9. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
                          shooternz Level 6

DNxHD is a very good option.

Colin will fill in the details but basically...Google it and get the free downloads for Mac and WIndows.

Install it and you will be golden.

• 10. Re: Confusion on procedures from camera to hard disc to editing
                            msp1518 Level 1

I thought that was an AVID related codec.