13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 12:24 PM by Chris W. Griffith

Auto running swf files on the home page

mthomas0208

My home page on the site I am creating has a swf file that fades between 3 pictures

basically showing the adverts fading between on another.

The question is how do you get the file to run without having to assign a"On Click"

action. I want the file to run as soon as the home page loads.

Alternatively, how do you get this to work in Catalyst omitting the swf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

You need to look at Action Sequences to solve this. Attached is a crude example. I created a 3 second looping SWF (3 colored squares) in Flash Professional. I imported this into my Flash Catalyst project. With nothing selected, I used the Interactions Panel to add an On Application Start interaction, and had it Play Action Sequence. Then I selected my SWF on the artboard. Now in the Timelines panel, you should see an item under the Action Sequences named "On Application Start", along the bottom you will see the Add Action button. Click it, select SWF control and choose Play.

That should get you started,

Chris

• 2. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
            mthomas0208 Level 1

Chris, many thanks. Worked perfectly.

• 3. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
              arvindsond

HI there, I actually have the reverse problem.  I set up the actions and interactions that are needed for the swf, but my swf plays regardless of what I do.

I want my swf to only play when I click on a button. my swf just plays all the time.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks

Arvind!

• 4. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
                mthomas0208 Level 1

Arvind

This is what I had to begin with. I think I set the swf to be a button and

in the interaction set On Click to play video.

Mike

• 5. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
                  arvindsond Level 1

Hi there, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't seem to work.  FC doesn't seem to like the swf as a movie file.  When I click add ionteraction the play video option is blanked out.  I also tried clicking on the down state of the button swf and clicking on add action (in the timeline) and adding a 'stop video' action but this didn't work either

Any ideas anyone?

Arvind!

• 6. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
                    IndyKid63

Is there a way to accomplish automatically moving from one image to the next without using a click or building a solution in Flash?  Why can't this be done directly in Cat?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page

Something needs to trigger the start of the effect. If the effect is at the start of your application there is the On Application Start event that will cause it to occur. Another option is to have that section as a SWF that autoplays and use that instead.Without know the actual application design, it is hard to point you toward the best solution.

• 8. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
                        IndyKid63 Level 1

My banner is very simple.  It has three states (pages) and I want to have the banner move from state 1 to state 2 to state 3 automatically and then start over again.  Think of three images being displayed in consecutive order.

I have completed several porjects with user interactions (buttons) but I am surpised how difficult it has been trying to create a three page rotating banner ad.

• 9. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
                          DesignEclectic Level 1

Quick hack solution,

Create a blank movie file in flash, with the time in secs, you need for rotation (example 4 secs per pic), export it as Quick time. Then use media converter, to save it as a .f4v file. Inset the movie on your 1st state. Set Opacity to 0, check Auto play & Loop. Then add interaction, on video complete, play transition to state 2. Rinse and repeat on variuos states, for example, on state to just set it, so on complete, play transition to state 3 etc. Then state 3 set video on complete back to state 1.

Hope that helps.

• 10. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page

Somethings are just easier in other apps. For something like this I would recommend creating it in Flash Professional and importing the swf. If you comfortable with some ActionScript and have Flash Builder, you can tweak the transition code to have this effect. I posted this solution to the forums a while back.

Flash Catalyst has some limits, it is a 1.0 product. But it will keep maturing!

Chris

• 11. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
                              arvindsond Level 1

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply, but it was actually imported into flash tweaked then re-exported as a swf before importing into catalyst!  I seemed to get a little further by entering into the swf (by double clikcing it) inside flash and adjusting the centre origin whihc was off, but it still flicks back ever so slightly which is annoying but a lot less then before.

Any other ideas anyone?

• 12. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page
                                IndyKid63 Level 1

It is shocking to me that Catalyst with all of its features cannot perform a simple rotating image banner without major effort.  I will go and try one of those $9.99 programs that are all over the net.

• 13. Re: Auto running swf files on the home page

You have to remember what Flash Catalyst is designed for: building interactive prototypes of applications and a design tool for Flash Builder. Although it masks a lot of complexity with it's interface, it those use cases that the program is aimed at. Doing such a effect is trivial for a Flex developer that would import a FC project, and quickly add the few lines of code.

To have a rotating ad banner built with FC, means your users are going to have to load the entire Flex framework. Although it might be cached on the system, it still has some start up time. These are things to consider when looking at product. It is not meant as a Flash tool for beginners, but rather as a part of a workflow for a larger project.

Chris