5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 4:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Round-trip from Soundbooth messes up Flipcam sync

laurentagwhat

Hey all-

My original content is from a Flipcam, so the video and audio are 44100 Hz and it's an mp4. I took it into Soundbooth (directly from Premiere) to clean it up, but when Soundbooth renders and exports it back to Premiere it makes the audio a .mov at a 48000 sampling rate. The video and audio no longer sync up. I'm pretty new to the video and Premiere world so I'm at a loss as to what I can do to make this work out.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

• 1. Re: Round-trip from Soundbooth messes up Flipcam sync
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is the Audio setting in your Project's Preset?

How are you planning on delivering the output from this Project?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Round-trip from Soundbooth messes up Flipcam sync
            laurentagwhat Level 1

I created a custom preset to match my Flip camera's files. The audio sampling rate on the preset is 44100 Hz (just like Flipcam's).  I don't understand why Soundbooth doesn't bring it back to Premiere in a format that matches the preset.

As a side note I've doen this exact thing with Final Cut- Flip video, Soundbooth, everything went smoothly.

(I doubt it matters but the video for the preset is 1280 x 720 1.0)

The final output will be Quicktime .mov

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Round-trip from Soundbooth messes up Flipcam sync
              jeremy d. Level 3

I have someone looking into this for you.

• 4. Re: Round-trip from Soundbooth messes up Flipcam sync
                laurentagwhat Level 1

Thanks to both of you. There's a bit of a new development and it's really strange.

I completely started over thinking that I could just take the whole clip and nothing else, export it as a .mov, and work with it from there doing the other cuts. But now Premiere won't play the video synced at all, regardless of the presets. This first few minutes seem syched, but then it slowly gets farther and farther out of step. I've tried 44100 and 48000. On this new project I haven't even tried to round trip it this time.

Quicktime and the camera both play the file synced. I even put a fresh copy of the file on my computer from the camera just in case the other was corrupted somehow.

The kicker is that this exact same file played just fine on this program yesterday. It wasn't until I did the round-trip that everything started acting up.

Could the fact that I'm still using the trial software have anything to do with it? I have 24 days left on the CS5 Production Premium trial, perhaps I'm missing a bit of software? I'm grasping at straws here...

Cheers,

Lauren

• 5. Re: Round-trip from Soundbooth messes up Flipcam sync
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Lauren,

The trial might well have something to do with this. MPEG is disconnected in the trial, and that can affect various flavors of MPEG, including MPEG muxed Audio. This normally manifests itself on Import, or with Export, as most of the HD and MPEG Presets are missing, as is Encore, which relies heavily on MPEG-2.

Now, one viable option is to buy the program, and test it fully, without anything being crippled, including Encore. If not 100% satisfied, return within 30 days, and Adobe will refund your money.

Also, though written for PrE (PrPro's little-brother), there might be some useful info on dealing with Flip camera footage in this FAQ Entry. Also, PrE 9.0 has added a specific Flip Project Preset.

Good luck, and let's see what Jeremy is working on,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful