11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2007 1:13 PM by Newsgroup_User

    Question on Animated GIF Timing

    Level 7
      I have a weather-type animated GIF, and believe me, it is not my choice or
      idea, but anyway I need to get this working.

      Here it is: http://www.sendto.org/temp/weather-cvia.gif.

      In this animation, all the frames are set to 100 but the timing is not
      smooth. No idea why. When I change frame 2 to 50, the timing seems to me
      to be closer to even, but it makes no sense to cut the time on frame 2 to
      have all frames display for equal time. Is anyone else seeing this?

      The source file is here: http://www.sendto.org/temp/weather-cvia.png

      Many thanks,
      Tony


        • 1. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
          Level 7
          Anthony Bollinger wrote:

          > I have a weather-type animated GIF, and believe me, it is not my choice or
          > idea, but anyway I need to get this working.
          >
          > Here it is: http://www.sendto.org/temp/weather-cvia.gif.

          The lower the number, the faster and smoother the animation. It needs
          more frames to make it really smooth.

          --
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
            Level 7
            "Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks**" <lightly@sc.rr.com>
            wrote in message news:f5bd1p$1oo$2@forums.macromedia.com...
            >
            > The lower the number, the faster and smoother the animation. It needs more
            > frames to make it really smooth.

            Linda! Thanks for the reply!

            I sort of get what you are saying . . . but I guess I don't understand why
            the numbers for each frame don't work. I don't have the "raw materials" to
            supply frames in between the existing ones, although I might be able to work
            up something. But let me make sure we are connecting.

            I think you are saying the animation takes "jumps" -- that is fine as far as
            what is needed. The whole problem is those jumps are not even, although I
            have given fireworks identical numbers for each frame. We slowed the
            animation down so that it would not be so annoying (it was originally set to
            somewhere around 10 per frame and I changed it to 50, then 100).

            The whole problem with this animation is that frame 2 displays for *longer*
            than the other frames, even though I have told it to display just as long in
            the PNG file. This must be a bug with either the exported GIF, the display
            engine, or FW. Looks like the best way to fix it is to change the frame 2
            value to 50, which is just a hack. I wondered if anyone has encountered
            this before. There is nothing wrong with the PNG file, so this has to be a
            bug.

            Thanks!
            Tony


            • 3. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
              Level 7
              Hi Anthony:

              Are you testing the playback in a browser? The FW playback - at one time
              anyway - was not a reliable method for previewing.

              Have you checked to make sure there are not several frames identical to
              frame 2 in the animation? That too would give the impression that frame
              2 is staying up longer.

              --
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

              Anthony Bollinger wrote:
              > "Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks**" <lightly@sc.rr.com>
              > wrote in message news:f5bd1p$1oo$2@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> The lower the number, the faster and smoother the animation. It needs more
              >> frames to make it really smooth.
              >
              > Linda! Thanks for the reply!
              >
              > I sort of get what you are saying . . . but I guess I don't understand why
              > the numbers for each frame don't work. I don't have the "raw materials" to
              > supply frames in between the existing ones, although I might be able to work
              > up something. But let me make sure we are connecting.
              >
              > I think you are saying the animation takes "jumps" -- that is fine as far as
              > what is needed. The whole problem is those jumps are not even, although I
              > have given fireworks identical numbers for each frame. We slowed the
              > animation down so that it would not be so annoying (it was originally set to
              > somewhere around 10 per frame and I changed it to 50, then 100).
              >
              > The whole problem with this animation is that frame 2 displays for *longer*
              > than the other frames, even though I have told it to display just as long in
              > the PNG file. This must be a bug with either the exported GIF, the display
              > engine, or FW. Looks like the best way to fix it is to change the frame 2
              > value to 50, which is just a hack. I wondered if anyone has encountered
              > this before. There is nothing wrong with the PNG file, so this has to be a
              > bug.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Tony
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
                Level 7
                One problem you are seeing is that frame 2 and frame 3 are identical.
                I am looking at the png file.

                alex

                Anthony Bollinger wrote:
                > "Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks**" <lightly@sc.rr.com>
                > wrote in message news:f5bd1p$1oo$2@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> The lower the number, the faster and smoother the animation. It needs more
                >> frames to make it really smooth.
                >
                > Linda! Thanks for the reply!
                >
                > I sort of get what you are saying . . . but I guess I don't understand why
                > the numbers for each frame don't work. I don't have the "raw materials" to
                > supply frames in between the existing ones, although I might be able to work
                > up something. But let me make sure we are connecting.
                >
                > I think you are saying the animation takes "jumps" -- that is fine as far as
                > what is needed. The whole problem is those jumps are not even, although I
                > have given fireworks identical numbers for each frame. We slowed the
                > animation down so that it would not be so annoying (it was originally set to
                > somewhere around 10 per frame and I changed it to 50, then 100).
                >
                > The whole problem with this animation is that frame 2 displays for *longer*
                > than the other frames, even though I have told it to display just as long in
                > the PNG file. This must be a bug with either the exported GIF, the display
                > engine, or FW. Looks like the best way to fix it is to change the frame 2
                > value to 50, which is just a hack. I wondered if anyone has encountered
                > this before. There is nothing wrong with the PNG file, so this has to be a
                > bug.
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Tony
                >
                >
                • 5. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
                  Level 7
                  "Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:."
                  <jbabbage@newmediaservices.ca> wrote in message
                  news:f5bk55$ahe$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >

                  Thanks for the reply Jim!

                  > Are you testing the playback in a browser? The FW playback - at one time
                  > anyway - was not a reliable method for previewing.

                  I am testing in a browser - both FF2 and IE6.

                  > Have you checked to make sure there are not several frames identical to
                  > frame 2 in the animation? That too would give the impression that frame 2
                  > is staying up longer.

                  There are no identical frames in the file as you can see from the PNG linked
                  in the original post.

                  It's all a mystery to me right now . . .

                  Thanks,
                  Tony


                  • 6. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
                    Level 7
                    "Alex Mariño" <alSePxmar@AmMt.net> wrote in message
                    news:f5bkdb$apu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > One problem you are seeing is that frame 2 and frame 3 are identical.
                    > I am looking at the png file.

                    OK! I have to retract the post I just sent to Jim now! You are right!!!

                    Stupid user error! I recall specifically deleting that frame to eliminate
                    the issue. Where did it come from?

                    . . . Aha! I have just tested it out and the root of this problem comes
                    from a bug is in Fireworks (MX2K4, CS3 on the way). When I hit the trashcan
                    icon in the frames panel to get rid of a frame, it actually deletes the
                    frame *after* the one I had selected! Now I have to pull the original file
                    from backup to get that other frame. Mystery solved - thanks to all for the
                    replies.

                    Tony


                    • 7. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
                      Level 7
                      Hi Tony: I just downloaded the PNG and it appears that frames 2 and 3
                      are identical.

                      --
                      Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                      Extending Knowledge, Daily
                      http://www.communityMX.com/
                      CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                      http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                      ---
                      .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                      news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                      news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

                      Anthony Bollinger wrote:
                      > "Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:."
                      > <jbabbage@newmediaservices.ca> wrote in message
                      > news:f5bk55$ahe$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >
                      > Thanks for the reply Jim!
                      >
                      >> Are you testing the playback in a browser? The FW playback - at one time
                      >> anyway - was not a reliable method for previewing.
                      >
                      > I am testing in a browser - both FF2 and IE6.
                      >
                      >> Have you checked to make sure there are not several frames identical to
                      >> frame 2 in the animation? That too would give the impression that frame 2
                      >> is staying up longer.
                      >
                      > There are no identical frames in the file as you can see from the PNG linked
                      > in the original post.
                      >
                      > It's all a mystery to me right now . . .
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Tony
                      >
                      >
                      • 8. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
                        Level 7
                        "Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:."
                        <jbabbage@newmediaservices.ca> wrote in message
                        news:f5bm8k$cr6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Hi Tony: I just downloaded the PNG and it appears that frames 2 and 3 are
                        > identical.

                        Sorry Jim, see my next post to Alex, where the whole mystery was solved. I
                        did actually check this out. I deleted the duplicate frame in FW, but as I
                        mentioned, in my version of FW there is a bug. So, please let me claim to
                        be not as dumb as it appears . . . but that remains to be seen! 8^D


                        • 9. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
                          Level 7
                          Glad you sorted it out, Tony! That's a weird behavior in FW, to be sure.

                          --
                          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                          Extending Knowledge, Daily
                          http://www.communityMX.com/
                          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                          ---
                          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

                          Anthony Bollinger wrote:
                          > "Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:."
                          > <jbabbage@newmediaservices.ca> wrote in message
                          > news:f5bm8k$cr6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >> Hi Tony: I just downloaded the PNG and it appears that frames 2 and 3 are
                          >> identical.
                          >
                          > Sorry Jim, see my next post to Alex, where the whole mystery was solved. I
                          > did actually check this out. I deleted the duplicate frame in FW, but as I
                          > mentioned, in my version of FW there is a bug. So, please let me claim to
                          > be not as dumb as it appears . . . but that remains to be seen! 8^D
                          >
                          >
                          • 10. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
                            Level 7
                            Hi Tony:

                            Just did a test in FW CS3. I renamed a frame, kept it selected then
                            trashed it and the correct frame was deleted, so it looks like that odd
                            behavior has been corrected.

                            --
                            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                            Extending Knowledge, Daily
                            http://www.communityMX.com/
                            CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                            http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                            ---
                            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                            • 11. Re: Question on Animated GIF Timing
                              Level 7
                              Glad to hear it --- thanks for the feedback!