What details have you entered in the Remote Site definition in Dreamweaver?
in particular, the Host or Root directory field?
Bluehost says to enter "public_html" (without the quotes)
Yep I have all that information correct I believe. It has been telling me thats it connecting to the server successfully. I'm just at a loss right now...
Is this a new server you are now on, or is it the old FrontPage server? If it's the old one, did the host disable the FrontPage extensions?
Just checking one more time:
It will report a successful connection regardless of what remote folder you specify (if any).
Are you certain that "public_html" is entered into the Host or Root Directory field?
What's the address of your website?
That might be the issue. I was unaware of any of that.. I guess I thought it was just compatible with Dreamweaver as soon as moved my files over. How can I check to see if I need to disable the front page extensions?? Thank you so much for the help!
yep I went and doubled checked everything. and it is entered correctly.
Disabling Frontpage Extensions is a server security issue controlled by your host. Nothing for you to do there.
It shouldn't affect your ability to upload your website to their server via Dreamweaver.
What is the address of the website?
my website is : www.montanacats.com
Has the website moved from a Windows server (Frontpage) to a Linux server? It's now running on Apache which suggests Linux.
In which case, did you get new FTP info from Bluehost?
umm... im sorry if I sound lost. I didn't know i needed to. Do you think that is the issue? The guy from Blue Host support didn't mention anything about new FTP info to me on the phone today.
It's merely a line of enquiry, which may not be relevant.
Just exploring reasons why your website is not updating when you click Put in DW.
If your FTP details in DW match what Bluehost has given you then there's no reason for the site not to update.
Well.. i appreciate the help regardless. If you end up thinking of anything that might help just let me know. Maybe someone else on here has experienced the same issues as well?
>It shouldn't affect your ability to upload
>your website to their server via Dreamweaver.
If you've ever worked with FP you know that it maintains several copies of the pages. FTP'ing to a FP site can break the extensions and result in the page you upload not the same as the page that is being served. In any case, this seems moot as the site is now on Apache, so the host must have moved them to a new server.
Are you making changes to the webpages or the frameset?
The solution has got to be a simple one. We're just not nailing down the root cause.
There's no mystery to FTP-ing to a server. Enter the correct details given to you by your host, click Connect, click Put. Done.
I'd suggest you go back to basics. Perhaps delete your Remote Site definition in DW and re-enter it from scratch.
Ask Bluehost if your website has moved from a Windows server to a Linux server and did this require new FTP login details.
I spoke with another Blue Host representative this morning and he told me he thinks my issue is where my files are being placed. My website files on my hard drive are located under a folder called "montana cats site" and then located under a sub folder called "my site". He says this might be the issue as bluehost only wants to recognize "public_html"...as that is what I put as my root folder. And he said blue host doesn't want to go find something if its buried, so to speak. Does this make sense to you guys? He said I should select all of my information within the "my site" folder and drag it into publc html on Dreamweaver. I'm not sure how that will help my dreamweaver issue of not being able to upload? ....but maybe i'm just getting more confused my the hour.
>He says this might be the issue as
>bluehost only wants to recognize
>"public_html"...as that is what I put as my root folder.
No.It doesn't matter where your local site is on your hard drive or what the folders are named. What matters is where you defined the site root in site manager. In your case, it should be xxxx\montana cats site\my site.
You do NOT need a public_html folder on your local drive.
1 person found this helpful
He says this might be the issue as bluehost only wants to recognize "public_html"...as that is what I put as my root folder. And he said blue host doesn't want to go find something if its buried, so to speak. Does this make sense to you guys?
Not at all. He's trying to be helpful by guessing but it's wrong and it's merely confusing you.
As bregent says, you can store your files wherever you like on your hard drive - 20 folders deep if you like. Your local file definition in DW sorts that out. The server (Bluehost) doesn't care.
The Remote Site definition is the issue here. Something's wrong there if you're sure that your website is not being updated when you click Put.
I would still go back to basics, delete the existing Remote Site definition and start afresh with a new Remote Site definition as if it's the first time you've uploaded your site.
Try deleting a given page on the website so it's gone (you'll get a 404 error when you try and browse to it). Then re-upload that page via DW and see if it appears correctly online.
A big thank you to the both of you for your help. I had my local site folder wrong. I had it all right..but the sub folder where everything is actually located. So I just added the "/mysite" at the end. And it works!! I guess I always assumed if the subfolder was located within the site folder it would all be there for me. I was wrong. Essentially I was using an empty folder when I was publishing the site.