16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2007 1:52 PM by Alan Musselman

PS > FW = no layers

conuk
      ok created a mockup page in PS CS3 - nothing fancy - just layers.

opening in FW CS3 it opens the image as 1 bitmap .... how come ??? I thought FW recognised the layers etc ?

how can I get round this problem.

thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: PS > FW = no layers
          abeall Level 3
          How did you save it in Ps and how did you open it in Fw? Fw can definitely open layered PSD files. Open it in Ps and check to see if you didn't actually flatten it to a single layer.
          • 2. Re: PS > FW = no layers
            conuk Level 1
            nope definately layered in PS. Just saved it as a PSD (layers is selected) .. tried saving as PNG from PS as well....same problem in Fireworks.

just opens up as one bitmap in fireworks :(
            • 3. Re: PS > FW = no layers
              abeall Level 3
              A PNG saved from Ps would be a flattened 32/24/8bit PNG, not a Fireworks PNG, so that should open as a single bitmap. However, I don't know why a PSD would open flattened. You tried both the File > Open and File > Import dialogs?
              • 4. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                Level 7
                abeall wrote:
                > A PNG saved from Ps would be a flattened 32/24/8bit PNG, not a Fireworks PNG,
                > so that should open as a single bitmap. However, I don't know why a PSD would
                > open flattened. You tried both the File > Open and File > Import dialogs?
                >
                I've been flipping back and forth between FW CS3 and PS CS3 for weeks.
                Other than type issues, the PSD's open fine in FW CS3 everytime.

Check your import preferences in FW and make sure they aren't set to
                "Use flat composite image" and that "Convert to Fireworks Objects" is
                selected

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                Extending Knowledge, Daily
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                • 5. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                  conuk Level 1
                  thanks for the replies guys. This is really strange - Ive done another site and it worked ok between the two.

FW import settings are set as described above - so no problem there.

Have tried both import and open in fireworks - the result is the same.

Not sure what to try next - this is really slowing me down now !
                  I know I could do the page again - but I dont really want to come across this again and not know what the problem is....

• 6. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                    conuk Level 1
                    ok just had another play around.

Even creating a blank page in photoshop and just adding a few blank layers.... then saving PSD - then loading in fireworks gives the problem of converting to a bitmap.

Yet the graphics I did a couple of weeks ago open in Fireworks ok with layers intact... (that I created in photoshop) I cant understand what the problem is ?

Photoshop & fireworks corrupted somehow do you think ?
                    • 7. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                      conuk Level 1
                      ok update time.

created a new page - and duplicated the layers over into the new page.

this `works` sort of - the layers are now there.... but when clicking on a layer... the `bounding box` in fireworks are off centre.

Any ideas on this one ? lol
                      • 8. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                        abeall Level 3
                        > created a new page - and duplicated the layers over into the new page.

So you created a new page in Fireworks? And duplicated the flattened bitmap on the original page to the new page, and it turned into layers? Mind if I see one of these PSDs?
                        • 9. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                          conuk Level 1
                          no - in the end - i got the original PSD that I created in Photoshop.

created a `new page` then selected the layer and `copied` them into the new document.

saving it again then loaded into fireworks no problem - all be it the alignment on the text boxes didnt match - clicking centre then sorted this out and the `blue border` around the graphics was in the correct place.

so for some reason the original PSD file must have been somehow corrupt - but could still be loaded into either program. Very strange error - but got there in the end.
                          • 10. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                            conuk Level 1
                            ok can somobody download my PSD and see if they can open it in fireworks.....

its just opening as 1 bitmap again :(
                            frustrating !

http://download.yousendit.com/8767A4A00291E9C0

thanks in advance.
                            • 11. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                              conuk Level 1
                              haha !
                              I think i may have been really stupid here....

can Fireworks ONLY open up 8 or 16 bit photoshop PSDs?!
                              • 12. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                                Level 7
                                I believe it will only import 8 bit psd files with all the layers - yes

conuk wrote:
                                > haha !
                                > I think i may have been really stupid here....
                                >
                                > can Fireworks ONLY open up 8 or 16 bit photoshop PSDs?!
                                >
                                • 13. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                                  Level 1
                                  quote:

Originally posted by: conuk
                                  ok can somobody download my PSD and see if they can open it in fireworks.....

its just opening as 1 bitmap again :(
                                  frustrating !

http://download.yousendit.com/8767A4A00291E9C0

thanks in advance.

Hi conuk -

The PSD is 16 bit, open Ps and change the mode to 8 bit and Fireworks will display the layers properly.

Let me know if this helps or not!
                                  • 14. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                                    Level 1
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: conuk
                                    haha !
                                    I think i may have been really stupid here....

can Fireworks ONLY open up 8 or 16 bit photoshop PSDs?!

No your not stupid, blame it on the software. :) Really, there should be a prompt letting you know its a 16 bit PSD and in order to open it fw will need to convert it to 8bit.

I converted your PSD to 8 bit and cant see any visual difference to your PSD. You should be good to go...
                                    • 15. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                                      conuk Level 1
                                      wow - cant believe I did this .... loads of time wasted :(

SO LOL : lesson learnt.

create mockup in Photoshop - maximum 8 bit only...... then Fireworks will live with that - correct ?

Thanks for downloading my file and testing it - really appreciate it.
                                      • 16. Re: PS > FW = no layers
                                        Level 1
                                        Yes, thats correct. :) I'll make we address this for Fw10.

Thanks!