7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 9:42 AM by mspeanutmm

When adding soundtracks it creates a gap in the video

mspeanutmm

There are times when adding music to the soundtrack that it causes other media such as photos, audio, narration to be pushed out on the timeline so there is a gap between the video.  I do a delete and close gaps.  I re-try to upload the music to the soundtrack and sometimes it is placed properly and some times it still causes a gap in the video.  Please advise on what I need to do to fix this.

• 1. Re: When adding soundtracks it creates a gap in the video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE defaults to a Ripple Edit when adding Clips. If you hold down the Ctrl key, the program goes to an Insert Edit, and other Clips should not be affected.

This is just the opposite of how PrPro defaults. It's default is Insert Edit, and the Ctrl key changes the operation to a Ripple Edit.

Also, PrE wants to direct you to specific Tracks, and that behavior can be a bit problematic. Often, on has to accept the program's choice, and just place the Clip, out beyond the end of other material, on the Track, where the program wants the Clip. Once done, a simple click-drag will usually work fine. Personally, I wish that PrE was not so strict, and would just let one place Clips on appropriate Tracks, and not try to "direct the show."

Good luck, and hope that gets you what you want.

Hunt

• 2. Re: When adding soundtracks it creates a gap in the video
            mspeanutmm Level 1

Thanks Bill.  I used the ctrl when porting the song to the soundtrack

timeline and it seems to work.  Another problem crept up now.  When an audio file is playing, the soundtrack in the background does NOT lower.  The background soundtrack does lower when narration is playing.  Why doesn't it work when audio clips are playing?  How do I set this easily?

• 3. Re: When adding soundtracks it creates a gap in the video
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You'll need to manually lower it using keyframes.

Are you working in Timeline mode?

• 4. Re: When adding soundtracks it creates a gap in the video
                mspeanutmm Level 1

yes...working in timeline mode.  I have not used key frames before.  The soundtrack covers several audio clips.  How do I segregate the soundtrack for each audio clip? Thanks!

• 5. Re: When adding soundtracks it creates a gap in the video
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

With keyframing, you don't have to.

You add keyframes by selecting an audio clip and positioning the CTI playhead over it, then clicking on the Make Keyframe button on the audio Track Header on the left.

Keyframes are little dots that you can drag up and down and specific points to raise and lower the audio clips' volume.

I've got step by step instructions with illustrations in my books, if you're interested.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

• 6. Re: When adding soundtracks it creates a gap in the video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you tips on adjusting Volume in Audio.

When an audio file is playing, the soundtrack in the background does NOT lower.  The background soundtrack does lower when narration is playing.  Why doesn't it work when audio clips are playing?  How do I set this easily?

If you have done no Volume adjustments, then the Narration and the Soundtrack should maintain their original Levels, unless there is some new added "feature." If there is a new feature, then I am sure that Steve will educate me.

As it's easy to adjust the Volume in several ways, I would not really want a program to try and do it for me.

Also, some users have had issues with the two fixed Audio Tracks, Soundtrack and Narration, and in nearly every case, the fix was to just use a "regular" empty Audio Track, instead of one of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: When adding soundtracks it creates a gap in the video
                      mspeanutmm Level 1

Thanks Steve.  Being new to this app, I've had to learn these acronyms.  With your guidance, I was able to create the key frames and adjust the sountrack sounds when audio was playing.  I'll take a look at your link for future reference too. Thx.