6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 12:15 PM by nealeh

Premiere Elements 9 (no playback as usual)

andydorch123

Hello All

I have made the silly mistake of buying this piece of software. Like many others have no playback in the preview window. Having spoken to the Adobe Help (human) and reading these forums, I have tried the often written "delete bad drivers file" fix and have done so multiple times. The problem is that the programme re-installs it it's self upon starting. Thus rendering itself useless. I am now at the point of un-installing (permanantly) and going for Edius or something that actually works! As a final throw - does anyone have any other last try suggestions? Has anyone had any experience of demanding a full refund or compensation from Adobe? Why are we the customer expected to fix thier software, in version 9!!? Cheers all Andy

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 (no playback as usual)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry your computer isnt' able to handle the software, Andy.

Have you tried contacting Adobe about a refund? That's usually the best place to start.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 (no playback as usual)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Adobe offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so if you are near that date, return the software immediately for a refund.

If you have time to address what your problem is, see this ARTICLE for tips on providing the information needed to troubleshoot.

In very general terms, the issues are, as follows, and in that order:

• System, including the CPU, GPU, OS and the full I/O setup
            • Assets - the source files used
            • Project - not matching that source footage
            • OE - Operator Error, with one doing things the wrong way
            • Bugs - actual issues in the program code

That linked article will help you gather the info, and we can then step through each element.

In any case, the full text of all error messages, and when they occur, can be very important. As you have opened a T/S ticket with Adobe (ticket # is meaningless to us), if you can also share what the tech has had you do, and the result.

Good luck, and do not miss that 30-day, money back guarantee.

Hunt

PS - many, who cannot get PrE to run, seem to like Sony Vegas (several different versions), CyberLink's PowerDirector and Magix MovieEdit Pro. Grass Valley produces good software, like Edius, but I do not hear that many, who have moved to it, and been happy. That's possibly that they moved to it, loved it, and never bothered to stop back and report their success.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 (no playback as usual)
              andydorch123 Level 1

Hi, yes I contacted the help line and spoke to a very pleasant guy, (the first to point me in the direction of the delete bad drivers....) I had a "return call" booked from adobe, which sadly never materialized. Since the call I've tried all the varieties of fixes and got nowhere. I might point out that I have used Adobe in the past Elements 2 (if I can remember that far back), used Premiere 6 until I wore out a computer, then later Prem Pro 2, all without hassel or major problem, and that's why I went for Prem Ele 9 as a logical choice for my new laptop. I just find it absolutely incredible that a programme in version 9, from such a "reputable" company should have such poor compatability, putting it politely. Was is ever tested? I could understand it if i were trying to use an old machine, or where the required spec was near the limit - as I have an i-5 processor, etc etc, the message seems to be, as your response seems to suggest, unless you are going for an absolutely top of the line machine with i-7 don't bother with Adobe! Important lesson learnt me thinks!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 (no playback as usual)
                andydorch123 Level 1

Hello many thanks - i'll start from the top one last time and see what happens - following the suggestions in your link, helpful, many thanks! I'll report back as to what happens! Regards Andy

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 (no playback as usual)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Please do report. With the exception of licensing and some installation issues, I feel that the people here are actually better than those in T/S, as the people here actually use the program, in real-world situations. We do use a little bit of "scripting," but that is with the articles, to save us typing the same thing many times. With T/S, the first few levels of techs just have a script with a few things to try.

As for your history with Adobe, I still use PrPro 2.0 almost daily. I have the CS5 MC, but am waiting for my new computers with Win7-64 to install the suite. Until then, PrPro 2.0 is my workhorse, and one of the best programs, that I have ever used - Photoshop being the other.

With but a lagging GUI, most PrE 9 users love that version, and have had far fewer issues, than with PrE 8, or even PrE 7. I'm still on PrE 4.0, as it does what I need, when I need it, which is basically getting some consumer camera material into PrPro. I will also update to PrE 9, when the new computers come, just so that I can stay current, here, and also so that my screen-caps will be more correct for posters to use with their issues. Now, they have to interpolate a bit.

Good luck, and let us know how things go. There should be no problem getting things up and running on a newer computer, that's set up correctly for video-editing.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 (no playback as usual)
                    nealeh Level 5

andydorch123 wrote:

I have tried the often written "delete bad drivers file" fix and have done so multiple times. The problem is that the programme re-installs it it's self upon starting. Thus rendering itself useless

Try this. Instead of deleting the baddrivers.txt file, open it with notepad, delete the contents and save the file. Then make the file read-only (right-click and select properties) before starting PRE.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children