4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 12:56 PM by ~graffiti

How do I fill out forms?

montana-cafe

I have been sent some forms and the sender said that I need to have Adobe Reader.  I cannot figure out how to fill in the blanks on the forms.  I am NOT a computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I fill out forms?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try selecting the Hand tool and clicking where you think a form field should be. Note that the Hand tool may not be visible on the toolbar, so you can select "Tools > Select & Zoom > Hand tool"

• 2. Re: How do I fill out forms?
            montana-cafe Level 1

Thank you for your response.  However, I do not seem to see "Tools" when I pull up the form.  The form was sent to me by a company, on a CD-type disk.  I put the disk in, and then the various forms come up and then when I click on the forms, I see the forms there on the computer.  There is a little line that I can see where I would normally start typing, but when I type, nothing happens.  Not sure whether I'm explaining this correctly.....  Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: How do I fill out forms?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of Reader are you using? "Tools" is a menu item in Reader, but not Reader 10.

Are you sure that the forms are supposed to have interactive form fields on them? Adding fields to a PDF is an additional step the the form creator would have to take, and they often times do not. In such cases, the PDF is meant to be printed and filled by hand. If you could post a sample somewhere, we could tell for sure. If you can't post a sample, I'd be happy to take a look at one if you can email it to me at: acroscript at gmail dot com

• 4. Re: How do I fill out forms?
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

George_Johnson wrote:

In such cases, the PDF is meant to be printed and filled by hand.

Exactly. They may have said you needed Reader not to fill them out but to open them and print them so they could be hand filled.