5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 3:01 PM by SEWERTWO

Capture utility

SEWERTWO Level 1

I have a business where we video sewer lines for final inspection.  When an operator makes a mistake ( wrong manhole number, too dark, etc.) I use PE to edit and correct mistakes.  I first capture each line segments and save them on the hard drive.  PE often times will not find all of the segments and combines others.  I have to use Roxio to capture all the segments and save them.   Basically Roxio is better for  simple utility work where PE is  far better at editing.   Does Adobe sell a program that does well with capturing and editing material from DVDs?  Thank You.

• 1. Re: Capture utility
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying you want something for capturing video, or are you saying that you want a program for ripping video from DVDs?

If you are capturing video from a tape-based camcorder or copying video from a hard drive or SD card camcorder, you should use Premiere Elements' capture utility or its Video Importer.

If you are getting video from a DVD, you should be using Premiere Elements' Get Media/From DVD tool.

Can you tell us more about what kind of camcorder your video is coming from? If so, we can make a more specific recommendation for how you should get your video and, just as importantly, which project settings you should be using.

• 2. Re: Capture utility
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If your material is SD, and your cameras record to minDV tape, and you connect to the computer via FireWire, then you might want to look into ScenAlyzer Live. Many feel that it is the Capture module that both PrE and PrPro should have used.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Capture utility
              SEWERTWO Level 1

Thank you.  I'm ripping videos from DVDs.  PE brings it over as  one big

vob file where Roxio identifies each individual segment or movie and  lets me

"rip" the ones I need.  Does Adobe have a more powerful or  versatile

ripping tool?

In a message dated 3/2/2011 5:05:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Are you  saying you want something for capturing video, or are you saying

that you want  a program for ripping video from DVDs?

If you are capturing video  from a tape-based camcorder or copying video

from a hard drive or SD card  camcorder, you should use Premiere Elements'

capture utility or its Video  Importer.

If you are getting video from a DVD, you should be  using Premiere

Elements' Get Media/From DVD tool.

Can you tell us  more about what kind of camcorder your video is coming

from? If so, we can  make a more specific recommendation for how you should get

your video and,  just as importantly, which project settings you should be 

using.

• 4. Re: Capture utility
                nealeh Level 5

That you refer to the .VOB in the singular suggests that your files are not that big. So you could use PRE to import the entire file and cut out the unwanted portions. If you then need individual files you can set the Work Area Bar and export new files from PRE.

If you really want to select individual scenes you could use something like DVD Shrink to reauthor the DVD.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Capture utility
                  SEWERTWO Level 1

Thank you.