9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 7:52 PM by JesseHarris

Help With Pre-comps

JesseHarris Level 1

Is there a way to maintain Scale, when Pre-composing?  I have 3 layers that need to be one so I can Motion Stabilize, (slight camera bobble) the footage before I add a tilt, (Position) and zoom (Scale).  The Scale is 34.2%, but when I pre-comp the layers it seems to automatically go to 100%.  Am I missing something?  Or is my workflow faulty...?

OSX 10.6.6, AE 10.0.1.19.  I appreciate your help, thanks very much.

• 1. Re: Help With Pre-comps
          TimeRemapper Level 4

The value changing to 100% is normal behavior. To retain quality, you could enable the collapse transformations switch.

• 2. Re: Help With Pre-comps
            JesseHarris Level 1

Thanks TR,  however in my timeline none of the layers have the Collapse Transformation switch option.  In other words I can't see how to enable it.  What am I doing wrong?  Why wouldn't my footage layers have that option? It's in effect, grayed out...

Thanks very much.

• 3. Re: Help With Pre-comps
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The size in the frame should not change but the scale value of the pre-comp will be 100%. If your layers are all at 100% before you scale them, then you scale the pre-comp to 34% collapsing transformations will not change the relative size of the layers.

On the other hand, if your layers are 3D and you pre-compose them, then set the Pre-comp layer to 3D, then move the pre-comp in 3D space and collapse transformations the relative position of the layers will change. This is expected behavior.

I hope that helps. Collapsing transformations with 3D layers can be more than a little confusing.

• 4. Re: Help With Pre-comps
                TimeRemapper Level 4

You enable collapse transformations on your precomposed layer. Are you trying that?

Screen shot 2011-03-02 at 6.12.09 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-03-02 at 6.14.21 PM.png

• 5. Re: Help With Pre-comps
                  JesseHarris Level 1

Rick,  Thank you.  I understand what you're saying, but the footage layer needs to start at a Scale of 34% so I can keyframe Y axis for a tilt and Scale a zoom to finish at about 85%.  How would I scale the pre-comp to 34%?  All layers are 2D, comp is 1920x1080.  The footage is a raw sequence from a 5dmk2 whose sensor is larger than HD.  I'm taking advantage of this to make the move using Position and Scale.  I wish I could post you a screen shot, but I don't know how to upload a jiveservlet link...

TR, I tried pre-composing and the Collapse Transformations switch was available to me afterwards, however the resulting pre-comp of my layers was still at 100% and when I tried to re-position/scale, it resulted in black around the footage.  I hope I'm being clear - and I'm probably missing something, but thanks so much for the help.  I hope there's a solution for me!

• 6. Re: Help With Pre-comps
                    TimeRemapper Level 4
                    TR, I tried pre-composing and the Collapse Transformations switch was available to me afterwards, however the resulting pre-comp of my layers was still at 100%

This is the expected behavior.

when I tried to re-position/scale, it resulted in black around the footage

This doesn't sound right. If collapse transformations is enabled, and you pan your footage around, you shouldn't be getting cropped results. Did you perhaps precompose twice and your nested comp doesn't have collapse transformations enabled?

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve, or why collapse transformations isn't working for you, but try this a solution for your dilemma:

• Create a null
                    • Scale null to 34%
                    • Parent your precomp to your null
                    • Scale the null to animate the scale of your precomp
                    • 7. Re: Help With Pre-comps
                      JesseHarris Level 1

Thank you, thank you!  Your step-by-step worked.  Having the Null Object parent the footage Pre-comp with Collapse Transformations is what did the trick, without the null the footage was cropped outside HD.  (Footage was at 34% to facilitate a y-axis tilt up).  I can now apply the y-axis animation to the Null layer. I was wondering if that might not be the answer in fact.

However I have a follow up, and forgive my inexperience please.  My main reason for pre-comping the 3 layers of footage BEFORE I made the y-axis animation tilt/zoom up was so I could apply Motion Stabilization to "one" layer...   If I applied Motion Stabil. AFTER the animation, it would defeat the purpose would it not? Now, I am unable to apply Motion Stabil. to the Pre-comp...  There is some slight camera shake I would like to smooth out.

If I need to start another thread, please let me know - but if you have the answer I'm definitely all ears!  And thank you so much again.

• 8. Re: Help With Pre-comps
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

My guess based on your description is that you'd be best off stabilizing the motion of your clip (the one of the 3 layers that requires stabilizing) within the nested comp, not on the precomp.

• 9. Re: Help With Pre-comps
                          JesseHarris Level 1

In fact that's what I've just done.  I did not realize I could Motion Stabilize one footage layer and it applied to all three nested.  Thanks so much again for your generous and accurate help.