5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 10:42 PM by Andrew_Hart

camera raw images change colour in adobe bridge

open2view

I have photoshop CS4 and import my camera raw images into Adobe Bridge.  When I view the thumbnails in bridge my raw images look vibrant and exactly like they appear on the camera but when I go to open them in camera raw edit they change colour and look washed out before I've made any changes.  Can anyone help me figure out how to correct this?

• 1. Re: camera raw images change colour in adobe bridge
          Yammer Level 4

Try changing the default camera profile in Camera Raw to one that matches your camera's setting, like Camera Vivid.

• 2. Re: camera raw images change colour in adobe bridge
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, it could be that Bridge is showing the camera-embedded JPG preview for its thumbnails, but ACR is re-interpreting the RAW image data, as it must, based on Adobe defaults that have less contrast or otherwise are less colorful.  This would especially be true if you have your camera set to high contrast, or high saturation or there is some automatic adjustment occurring in the camera that adds contrast.  Changing the Camera profile to Camera Standard should somewhat simulate the look from the camera using the camera-default settings.  I would shy away from using Camera Vivid as your camera profile in ACR unless you really have your camera also set to vivid most of the time.

However, it could be that your monitor profile is corrupt or set to something it shouldn't be, and since ACR and Photoshop are color-managed, you are viewing your photos in terms of the bad profile and they look strange. 

One question would be if the photos continue to look strange in Photoshop, and then after you've saved them to a JPG with an sRGB profile, do they also look strange if you open then in a browser or if they look normal again.  ACR and Photoshop would be using a color-managed environment partially dependant on your monitor profile, but Internet Explorer is not yet a color-managed environment, so viewing your Photoshop-saved JPG in IE also looks uncolorful, then it is unlikely your monitor profile and more likely the Adobe settings in ACR are less colorful than your in-camera settings.

• 3. Re: camera raw images change colour in adobe bridge
              Andrew_Hart Level 2

ssprengel wrote:

Yes, it could be that Bridge is showing the camera-embedded JPG preview for its thumbnails, but ACR is re-interpreting the RAW image data.....

I've only quoted this part deliberately to illustrate a point.

As I understand the process, and as I've been corrected myself here and seen it said elsewhere in this forum, it is ACR which generates the thumbnails displayed in Bridge, and that Bridge only uses the embedded thumbnails momentarily whilst ACR is busy completely its, the proper/final so to speak, thumbnails. If this is correct, then at least your initial observations cannot be correct.

The reason I raise this is that I too am experiencing, with my D700, significant differences between the appearance of simultaneously shot Raw and Jpeg images displayed in Bridge. The Raws appear desaturated and/or washed out compared to the Jpegs, something I did not experience with my old EOS 300D. On the D700, the Picture Control in the Shooting Menu is set to Standard (with all Quick Adjust settings associated with Standard, namely, Contrast, Brightness,Saturation and Hue, all zeroed). So the Jpeg is not being enhanced in the camera and the images should look pretty much identical when displayed in Bridge, should they not?

Similarly, when the Jpegs and Raws are opened together in ACR, where I have set Process as 2010 and Camera Profile to Camera Standard, they also display differently, again, the Raws, with default settings in the Basic Panel, appear to have less saturation. Is this to be expected?

• 4. Re: camera raw images change colour in adobe bridge
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When I used to use Bridge, on an even slower computer, there was a setting for High-Quality, although perhaps it was previews, not thumbnails.  Now I don't see that setting, anymore, so as you say the thumbnails are computed from ACR processing, and I would add for both RAWs and JPGs because there are initially black bars on the JPG thumbnail that disappear when the thumbnail is recomputed.

You mention your RAW is less saturated than your JPG for a RAW+JPG pair when viewed with ACR-processed-thumbnails in Bridge.  For my Canon XSi, my RAW file with default settings is actually more saturated, but it is a slightly different white-balance. 

My camera is set to shoot sRGB JPGs and is set to all zeros for the brightness/contrast/saturation parameters.

What is your camera set to as far as these basic toning settings, as well as any automatic things like DLighting or highlight compression and perhaps any custom curves or whatever that is called for Nikons?

• 5. Re: camera raw images change colour in adobe bridge
                  Andrew_Hart Level 2

ssprengel wrote:

My camera is set to shoot sRGB JPGs and is set to all zeros for the brightness/contrast/saturation parameters.

What is your camera set to as far as these basic toning settings, as well as any automatic things like DLighting or highlight compression and perhaps any custom curves or whatever that is called for Nikons?

First paragraph - so is mine.

Second paragraph - all other settings are neutral/zeroed/turned off, as per my post to which you responded. That is, no additional tone curves - Active D-Lighting turned OFF (why anyone would let the camera decide what to do do with highlights and shadows is beyond my level of trust) , Jpg compression is Optimal (least possible) et cetera.

Think I now have an explanation for the different displays in ACR (and Bridge) that I have been experiencing. Took a new duplicate Jpg/Raw shot with the in-camera Picture Control set to Neutral. Now, when both the Jpg and .NEF Raw are viewed in ACR, with the ACR Camera profile set to Camera Neutral, they appear, ASAICT, identical. Saved Camera Neutral as the default ACR Camera profile. Now back in Bridge, the images also appear pretty much identical.

I think what was happening previously was that I had failed to save Camera Standard in ACR as the default Camera profile, and it was defaulting to Adobe Standard, and hence it was rendering Raw thumbnails for Bridge to that Camera profile - hence the difference in appearance between the Jpg and Raw in Bridge. Unless I have got it completely wrong,  I think my problem is now solved.